KLR discontinued?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bama67, Sep 15, 2018.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is something that cannot be answered and won't be known for a while. New bike, new part suppliers, etc. TE630 which is it based on had it's share of issues; at least the timing chain wear of TR610 seems to be in the past. And then it's all relative; would you consider doohickey and oil consumption of KLR big deal or not?

Aussies seems to like them; here's a couple long term reviews:

AJP:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/swm-vs-klr650.1284570/
    rickypanecatyl likes this.
  2. GrayEagleRider

GrayEagleRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn’t hold my breath for a cutting edge new bike out of any of Japan based MC manufacturers. History just does not support it. The Japanese model seems to be profit based vs true performance, at least in the mid-sized DS segment. How many models went vertically unchanged for 20-30 years (KLR, DR, DRZ, XRL, WR...). All the excitement for the CRF450L and IMHO it still fell short of the Euro bikes.

I know, Japanese bikes come with reliability and longevity and maintenance intervals... just don’t ask for a decent suspension, FI, 6 speeds, light weight, and a hydraulic clutch all on the same bike. Best case is 3 out of the 5 attributes I listed, but what Euro bikes have been delivering for over 10 years.

Rant over.
  3. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Cutting edge technology???

Hell, the KLR is from the early 80s.

I'm just looking for something in this century.

___
    The DR650 will hold it's ground for 2020.

As quick as the KLRs move from the showroom floor, I doubt we will see two years with no mids size dual sport.
    Granted , Yamaha had a whole for a while.

Worst case scenario the Ninja 400 will do nicely.
    It will take a while to get her going. Kawi has a home run with that engine. ADV Bikes are a ninche market.
  4. TheHeretic

TheHeretic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd be happy with a fuel injected version of some sort with updated suspension that's reasonable priced...meaning not closing in on 10k. I believe the KLR was successful because it offered a decent fun factor for relatively short money. It will be interesting to see what, if anything will be released in that category in the next year or so.
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got what you want

View attachment 1786785
  6. TheHeretic

TheHeretic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey cyclopathic

Congrats..... How's parts support for that bike? I'm personally hesitant to stray from the big 4 Japanese companies but hoping it works out for you. I keep hearing the rumors of a new KLR coming soon.
  7. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    The 2nd. gen KLR was the biggest failure by Kawasaki I can remember. They made it heavier, gave it plastic that shatters when you inevitably drop the heavy pig in the woods, didn't actually fix the doohickey problem & best of all..... Turned it into an oil burner. Plus no extra power & no 6th. gear. I'll take a 1st. Gen KLR (or DR-650) any day of the week.
    eduro, PlowHand and cyclopathic like this.
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The heretic is afraid to stray? You made my day

On a serious note I am 15mi away from the factory, went to dealer and they didn't have oil filter. Then mechanic went back, brought filters from his bike we opened mine we pulled filter out of engine and it was exactly the same.

This is 80%+ the same bike as TE-630 Italyhusky a few changes like Magura hydraulic clutch; therefore it was built from the same part bin as cagiva and Aprilia. The brake pads identical to 2010 690 Enduro R, oil filter HiFlow hf563. Clutch lever from '04 4T KTM, brake lever from 748/916 Duc etc etc. I think the same fuel pump as CRF250 but I haven't researched.

Not sure what the situation will be in states probably not kosher for a while but it seems it's mostly about listings than the actual part availability.

Bike is great 450mi so far and what is the alternative? Crf250? DR? Used KLR? Wrr, 690? Add some Betas, austrian huskies and 500excf which would have similar part availability questions maybe not to the same extend.
  9. Wallachian Spikes

Oddometer:
    The fact they made the KLX-230 a dual sport but, not the 300 gives me hope we'll see a KLX-450 dual sport. Hopefully it will set it's sights on the DRZ-400 & not the 450 EXC like Honda did with it's 450 dual sport effort. Give me 40 h.p., curb weight under 330lbs., F.I. & 6 gears.
    TheHeretic, Reagan and cyclopathic like this.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    And yet they still sold a ton to travelers and back road riders. It was the same big tank formula with better wind protection.

Yes Kawi made a mistake very early on with piston rings but I'd say Kawi knew what they were doing because it was their best selling bike and probably the best selling dual-sport.

Everyone laughs at the KLR, but Kawi laughed the most with sales and profits.
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_KLE500

71000000B63FD7122D.jpg

I'm putting strong $ this is the direction the 2020 is going.

Kawi will build the CB500X adv that Honda refuses too. They have the history and ALL signs point to parallel twins not big thumpers.

They will stick with the big tank as it's their proven formula. They will not build a modern DRZ but a next gen KLR.

EviRide thinks 550cc and he may be right or close. It will out perform the 650 thumper and may not be as heavy a the 650 Versys lump. The 650 Versys is pure street and not morphing. Kawi is also not going down and using the 400 twin either! Sorry speculators and Euro license tier riders.

They need something closer to the T7 but also something to differentiate. Expect big tank, lower seat than the T7, touring ready and more than likely cheaper. Kawi wants to sell a ton, not have a dick wagging competition with the 790 or the T7.

KHI is a massive corporation who builds a wide range of things and designs to sell in volumes. They walk a different path than the others and not a me too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Heavy_Industries

A 500-550cc modern motor would be a global motor and a nice Goldilocks size.
    Kawi has history here with the KLE500 so it's hardly a reach.

We shall see in a few months
    cyclopathic likes this.
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    ...and YES the KLR is coming back in 2020.

I've had reps tell me face to face, no BS, 2019 was a "skip year" for the KLR!
    It's their best selling model and they want to sell a shit ton more in the future.
  13. Wallachian Spikes

Oddometer:
    I'm not suggesting it was a commercial failure, It was just a complete swing in the wrong direction for many fans of the KLR. I've bought 2 KLR's (1st. gen) & still riding the wheels off of one. The 2nd. gen is a great budget Advbike but, it's a crappy dual sport. The 1st. gen (with suspension upgrades) isn't the best dual sport but, it does Okay. I was super stoked that the 2nd gen would be lighter & have more power, maybe a 6 speed tranny & a doohickey that doesn't need replaced. I never dreamed they'd give it street bike plastics that shatter with a simple fall from the stand but, they did. Sure it's better wind protection but, that was never a problem that I cared about & they still could have done it with crash-able plastics.

Once again I'm looking forward to the next gen KLR but, it's going to have to be an improved "Dual Sport" or it's going to sell me a DR-650 if there's nothing new on the scene by the time Godzilla (my KLR) drops dead of exhaustion. I'd dearly LOVE to see a 400-650cc P-twin replace the KLR but, it needs to be focused on dual sport & not Adv. or it won't be the bike for me.
    eakins likes this.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I hear ya.

Kawi doesn't really build the ultimate machines buyers hope for, they tend to build machines they think will sell ALOT.

I think that's just the nature of such a large corporation vs a core moto company like KTM for example.

I expect they will use the same formulas with this new bike meaning big tank, wind protection, luggage capacity and big rear rack...an ADV bike.

Don't see them going back down to dual sport focused like the DR. Remember they have NO adv bikes now in the lineup and the KLR will need to fill those shoes. The KLX250 is their dual sport.
  15. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whoah, what? Are you talking about "the" KLR 650, or the name KLR?
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    They just called it a KLR.
    That's the model name they use, not KLR 650.

There is no new 650 thumper engine I'm betting. That ship has sailed.

Model might be KLE550 - KLR
    With just KLR on the side.

I do not seeing it called KLE550 - Versys or KLE550 - Versys 550X however.
    merc16 and timeOday like this.
  17. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, nobody is making any new 600+ thumpers, and I can see why, the 690 is uselessly powerful for what Japanese dual sports are for. Fine.

But the KLX 250 (with its 13 lb/ft of torque) is just crying out for a big brother. The CRF450L demands a Kawi response. They should just copy that, dumb it down a little and sell it at $7999, everybody would buy one.
  18. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    Don't hold your breath. Just get a DR. You'll wonder why you waited so long.
    eakins likes this.
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wanna bet another 6pack on it?
    eakins likes this.
  20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Disagree. For Kawasaki moto business is free advertising that's why they built H2
    eakins likes this.