KLR discontinued?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bama67, Sep 15, 2018.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    cyclopathic likes this.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i'll amend to say in the dirt world.
    Kawi is big into performance street but that was not my focus.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    The Japanese atleast like twins now vs big thumpers.

The Euros still are doing big thumpers...but KTM is just moving an old motor forward and SWM is just re-building an old motor design again. Nothing ground breaking. I'm sure the Chinese will keep the copy and reuse tradition alive of big Japanese thumpers.

These parallel twin work so well for weight, power and packaging that it makes sense vs big thumpers or V-twins
    Heck KTM is fully onboard now.

Nipon inc has 250,300,400,500,650,700,800,1000 & 1200 parallel twins (maybe more?)
    and showing no signs of stopping new developments.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    yep we are all wondering how Suzuki is playing this out in the next year/years?
    DRZ and DR combine into 1 modern bike? All new DR450Z/DRZ450S that combines both?
    I'd say someone has to follow Honda's 450L lead and Suzuki has the most legacy out there at this point.

DRZ/DR and Gen2 KLR were never really big overlap bikes anyway.
    Many made DRs into KLR like traveling machines but DRZs were always much lighter than both.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    maybe we could place a bet on when the new KLR is announced and I can throw you a bone on winning a bet? :-)

I know for sure I will be at the IMS Long Beach show the night before it opens and will be taking alot of pictures this year to post asap.
  6. AmbientMoto

AmbientMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now that the CB500X has a 19" front wheel and other "upgrades"... I wonder if anyone else will put out a bike that competes. Right now, the CB500X, with a few adds/upgrades, makes a great "modern KLR". I've been going back and forth between the two. Because the Gen 1 KLR still has something special about it.
    Wallachian Spikes and eakins like this.
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Very true. It's a nice mini ADV / 650 Vstrom alternative.
    I know several who go on long tours on that motor and they say 500 twin is just perfect for such. Just a solid machine with rock solid tour reliability.
    That's why a 500/550 twin KLR completely makes sense.

...Kawi had to know for years that Honda was going up to a 19" front 500x, the Japanese industries are full of spies and moles.
    Beezer and PlowHand like this.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I had a gen 1 KLR and loved it but like my DR better in lower seat spec.
    I modded my KLR to the hilt, then modded a DR to the hilt, then got tired of a carb and bought a 650gs (19" front)

I'd be all over a modern KLR in the future as well a a T7!
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Well Suzuki is not bringing an updated DR/DRZ bike for 2020. Both of them are relisted again for 2020. Yawn.

That checks off Suzuki for a possible new modern dual sport. Guess they don't want any part of the EU market???

I do think the Vstrom 1000 will become the Big DR with 21" front wheel but that's not what I'm looking for.

Yamaha is entrenched in the T7 so that leaves Kawi with it's KLR replacement folks.
    We shall see.
  10. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Unbelievable how Suzuki can't be bothered to add FI to the DRZ and sell a ton of them where they're banned now. Gotta wonder who does their strategic planning in the motorcycle division.
    eakins likes this.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it a 6-pack shall or just saying?
  12. Bhart89

Bhart89 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I want Japanese reliability in a euro 690/701 type bike. I like thumpers for the torque to weight ratio. Please Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha or Honda listen to me :-)
  13. FoggRider

FoggRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know DRZ fans are likely pissed but on the bright side, that ‘20 Dizzer is one of the nicer looking stock ones with the black plastic and wheels.
  14. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Especially since they put EFI on their ATV that uses basically the same motor! It drives me crazy, if they added EFI and a 6 speed it would be all I want, instead NOBODY is filling this void with a modern bike.

And don't get me started on the 5 speed BS, why did the XR/XL 350 go from 6 to 5 speeds when the XR400 came, why did the DR350 do the same when the DRZ400 came out!? Its nuckin' futz!

Because of moves like that I am currently riding a KTM but really want a more tame and shorter bike. I enjoy the lighter weight, but I am willing to sacrifice some weight savings for something like a modern DRZ.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Seems like Suzuki is in this pattern now of updating just 1 bike per year...and that's it.
    They hype it all up and regurgitate the rest.

Meanwhile all the other mfg are updating multiple machines per year to stay competitive.

Suzuki has this mighty new Katana which I look at it and wonder who is going to buy it? And yet don't update machines they could actually sell ALOT of. Odd company for sure.

We use to say that about Honda years ago, but they got their mojo back. Seems like post great recession Suzuki never did.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Well that leaves Kawi to surprise us with something new. Knowing them it will not be "spy pic'd" in the wild, just show up at a Moto show.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yep. Suzuki is just not willing to spend a dime on updates. Many have defected to the CRF450L or 500 EXC as they are tired of waiting & have shown they will infact pay a premium for modern.
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    No, you still owe me :-)
  19. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You hit the nail on the head I'm "stuck" riding this bike instead of a modern Japanese model, notice it has passenger pegs, I really want something a little more 2-up friendly. But I don't mind riding this for now! 20190212_162836_HDR.jpg
    King of Beers and merc16 like this.
  20. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anybody willing to ride on the back of that with you is a keeper