KLR discontinued?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bama67, Sep 15, 2018.

1. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    The Versys X300 for 2020 leads us to believe that the new KLR will not be a beast.

___
    There is no rush for them to replace the KLR since the other big three are not that interested in filling the void.
    But the T700 is really close. I think she will be $8,999 or so. based upon the Canadian currency transfer.

40% chance they wait another year.

:lurk
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  2. bmw318tech

bmw318tech Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    EMISSIONS, its a thing.
    Yinzer Moto, eakins, Fallacy and 3 others like this.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I don't understand your post or conclusions? :scratch

What part of "skip year model" do you not understand?
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    You're not the only big thumper fan here!
    I had a KLR then a DR and now a F650GS...I love big bore thump :clap
    I just wanted FI after my DR and the ABS was nice addition too.

Unfortunately I think the Japanese are not into anymore.
    I suspect Honda will be not the only 450L player in the future, but I don't see a big bore coming past that...they love parallel twins again. What's old is new again.
  5. By-tor

By-tor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am still sporting my Gen 1 KLR. 60K miles and still runs like a sewing machine. Got it used with 4K miles.
    I am a minimalist. I like the simplicity of the KLR. No computers, abs, electronic suspension. I feel better about being able to pretty much fix anything on it in the field.
    I am wishing Kawi comes through next year with something similar.
    Not a fan of the new Kawi line up so far.
    eakins likes this.
  6. GrayEagleRider

GrayEagleRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think all the frugal riders that would have bought a KLR should just go buy a KTM 640 Adventure now that they are in their price range. I have followed KLR riders for over a decade, even owned one myself, and it seems like many were trying to turn the KLR into a 640A. Even saw an inmate fab a faring that made the KLR look like a 640A. A lot of KLR riders bought enough add-ons that they could have bought a quality euro bike that is better anyway. Farkles add up quick.
    gpfan, eakins and petew like this.
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    mmm,

Not sure the Japanese bike buying KLR owner would actual ever want a KTM, old or new model?

Japanese adv/ds buyers in the past accepted a drop in performance and suspension ability for the idea that a Japanese machine requires alot less work to keep it running. Those that wanted this performance migrated to Euro machines & accepted the extra work. Those that just wanted gas and ride it bought Japanese.

Of course that lead to the idea that all Japanese buyers are focused on cheap cheap only. There are no shortage of inmates that jump at the chance to laugh at these machines and thus these buyers.

Japanese and low spec is no longer the case with high spec Japanese like the AT. 450L and coming T7 being available. Japanese buyers have proven they are actually willing to open their wallets for these high spec machines. They of course still expect less maintenance and a little drop in performance vs the current Euro machines. A little heavier and slightly less power is still ok as a trade off.

And so this brings us to this new potential KLR.
    If Kawi plays its cards correct here they could really have a sales winner with a bike adv riders are willing to buy in great numbers.
    That was the special sauce for the gen 2 KLR.

If it's in the 500-600cc range that is first of all the ideal size most are wanting these days.
    If Kawi can keep the price enough below the T7 it will be very desirable to those cross shopping...that will also pull in any buyers cross shopping a Himalayan, RX4 or V300X too to re-consider.
    If the seat height is reasonable that is a huge plus.
    If the suspension is USD but only mid spec that works for most as it's not a race for them anyway...a KLR buyer just wants to load up camping gear and explore the back roads anyway.
    If the weight is the same as the out going bike, mid 400s, that works.
    I expect the same big tank and big rear rack formula, that is why the KLR sold in the first place.

The KLR is/was always the working mans adv/ds bike and I fully expect Kawi to follow that same blueprint for success with this gen 3 bike.

If you don't need this much of a bike and expense then Kawi has a Versys 300X to sell you instead.
    It was even predicted, by the 400X speculation crowd, the 300 engine was going away because of Euro emissions in 2020.
    That is wrong as it's a 2020 Euro model so Kawi was able to get it passed.
    As such I expect the 300X to live for awhile in the Euro and years in the rest of the world as the into bike and the gen 3 KLR to represent the next level up for a very long time.

KTM is racing ahead to get 5 models down into the 500cc twin category and that speaks volumes as to this size and why I think the KLR will be the same. I suspect maybe Honda may follow at some point. Suzuki is a real wild card at this point how the DR/DRZ moves forward? They may be the ones to follow Honda in the 450L thumper category instead.

...that's how it see it all anyway, we shall see how this plays out.
    Ridin'nFishin, Bigger Al and By-tor like this.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'm sure Kawi would love all their gen 1 owners to be future gen 3 upgraders but I suspect the bike you want will not be the bike they build. I do not expect gen 3 to go back towards gen 1 in looks and design, but rather a continuation of gen 2 looks with updated twin motor, better suspension, updated fairing & a new frame.
    By-tor likes this.
  9. GrayEagleRider

GrayEagleRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So my post was a little tongue in check because of the whole “Japanese be Euro” bike trade off. I get that some riders don’t want to put in the extra time and money to get the extra performance.

However, you have to admit that a good segment of KLR riders moded their bikes to the moon to the point where they have approximately the same money and maintenance time invested as a quality Euro bike, minus the performance. KLRs that are for sale on this site typically say “all mods/farkles.”

The question is, will Kawasaki build an updated entry level (gen 1/2 KLR) or will they target riders that are willing to pay a premium for the better suspension, EFI, brakes etc... that riders were expecting from the gen 2 bike. Because honestly you can’t have it both ways. Kawasaki sold lots of KLRs because they were cheap, a way the average Joe could get into an ADV bike. All the upgrades that everyone want will push the cost up around the $10k price point. Then the question becomes what is the margin between the gen 3 KLR, or whatever they call it, and the other bikes in the same price range.

If riders that are looking for an upgraded version of the old KLR they should consider the SWM Super Dual. It’s literally everything they were asking for in a single cylinder 650 bike minus the Kawasaki name.

To your point, Kawasaki could go with a small displacement twin and compete against the Euro bikes current and about to go into production. Then is the same question of quality vs economy, and I don’t think the small euro twins are that maintenance intensive.

Will be interesting to see what bikes come out in the near future.
    cyclopathic, eakins and By-tor like this.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    It's all tongue in cheek around here, no worries.

Tongue in check is when you are sending in the moto payment :-)
    GrayEagleRider likes this.
  11. danptobin

danptobin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    the time of the KLR has passed. the motorcycle market in general is a shrinking market in both north america and europe. the ds/adv segment is a small piece of that shrinking market. the bulk of motorcycles that sell in large total numbers are the small bikes in much of the world rhe you have the large highly marked up bikes that make huge profits in north america, europe and autrailia. large singles just arent in high demand from those willing to pay what a modern large single would cost. its basic math and economics. sell what you can profit from
    breakm and GrayEagleRider like this.
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    so you're going with no new larger thumper for the gen 3
    or you're going with there will be no more KLR, no gen 3 at all?

if the later, i'm betting 100% against you.
  13. montesa_vr

montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that I don't get. To me the whole point of the KLR is that it's the complete bargain package. But there's one on my local Craigslist that lists $3,600 in upgrades. It has 23,000 miles on it, so at least he got to ride it some.
    [​IMG]
  14. danptobin

danptobin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

deffenatly no new larger thumper. to small of a market. no new klr at all. klr is a budget minded thumper. the marketing dept wouldnt want that for a nonbudget minded multicylinder. they could hide klr in the small print like they hide xtz1200 on the super tenere but the name will be dead other then that. however it wouldnt suprise me if a midsized versys x showed up in a few years. it appears that the japanese are moving towards the platform trend like the auto industry has succesfully used for decades

so what kind of beer are we wagering? no light beers please
    breakm and Bultaco206 like this.
  15. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    In the countries that the KLR is still sold in, when in the last three years did they change their emissions standards?

_
    The MIGHTY DR is fine, and the KLR out sales her 3/1.
  16. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is an emissions "corporate average standard" thing. Think of it as a football salary cap for vehicles. If you want to sign new players, you need to unload some players at the top salary. And the old carb KLR had to be a top emissions bike.

It may be the reason for three new 2020 bikes (KLX300R, KLX230R, KLX230) is that Kawasaki unloaded the KLR650. If I had to guess, I would say dropping the KLR650 and adding two new CARB approved offroad bikes was no coincidence.
  17. adam728

adam728 Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. By-tor

By-tor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess I am just used to simplicity. Before the KLR I had a BMW GSA. Talk about night and day. Had to unload the BMW during the "recession". Got the KLR after that. The wife even calls it "the recession bike". I got spoiled with the low maintenance costs. Plus I am a cheap ass.
    The KLR is a bike that you could probably take completely apart and have it back together running in about a day. I wouldn't mind if I had to lean it against a tree or lay it down in the dirt to work on it. I would probably think twice about that if I had a "nice" bike like Africa twin or something. Might break some engine sensor or something delicate that would leave me stranded.
    image.jpeg
    I'm very pleased with my low performance tractor. I was all set to get a new Gen 2 this year. I guess I'll be waiting another year or so to see what happens.
    Cheers all!
  19. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'm wrong about how CARB works, but it is interesting that we got two new green sticker offroad bikes after the KLR was canned.
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Are you talking at the 230 and 300?
    They have FI and cat converter exhausts.
    What's confusing about that???

It's a corporate emissions avg, not a 1 bike must go away before another can come in.

Kawi can have as the new bikes they want as long as the avg among all bikes does not go below the threshold.

Carb has their own threshold which is tighter but same concept.

The 230 and 300 are no doubt lifting the avg vs bikes the H2. Make sense dude?
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.