1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

KLR discontinued?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bama67, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Well, that's still a little bit heavy but okay... just so long as it's under $6000 including freight and PDI. Also has to be made in Japan by a workforce that sings the company song before their shift.

Then I might buy a low mileage example from Craigslisp
    mf13368, North ride, Kaaden and 6 others like this.
  2. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    I've come to grips with the fact that I'll never be a "Hard Core" off roader as well but, when I totaled my 1st Gen.1 KLR I replaced her with a 450 EXC. I always took my KLR off road any chance I got & the 450 KTM made me feel like a Super Hero in the same woods I was used to ridding my KLR. The frequent maintenance & a couple of break downs I had on the 450 had me pick up another 1st. Gen KLR which I ended up riding far more than the KTM.

After the experience of owning both bikes, what I really want is a cross between the two. A lighter & more dirt worthy Dual Sport that still handles highway miles without sacrificing reliability. Obviously it wouldn't be as good in the woods as the KTM but, I don't need a heavy ADV-Bike either. What I really think I'm looking for is a DRZ-500 with a 6 speed & 340lbs (or less) curb weight. The Gen. 3 KLR probably won't be the bike I'm looking for but, a KLX-500 could be the answer if it ends up coming from Kawasaki.
  3. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    I think Honda has your bike right now: CRF450L 20191014_051323.jpg
    breakm, Dirtleg, plumber mike and 3 others like this.
  4. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    Lighter & more power is always more fun & your bike would be better. I'm just trying to keep it realistic in regards to a Gen. 3 KLR-650. 400 lbs. is more weight than what I want as well but, it's lighter than what I've been trudging through the woods on with the 2 KLR's I've been riding since 2000. I really Love the Yamaha T-7 but, it's heavier than the KLR & mine is missing plastics & scuffed up now due to excess weight. As much as I'd enjoy a T-7, I'd just end up bashing it to pieces as there's no way I could resist the urge to hit the woods with it. Busting up a used KLR is not nearly as painful as busting up a new T-7 would be.
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe if they make service intervals longer and cough up Rally version.. and not at KTM prices.

What really people want is 45hp CRF250L Rally
  6. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What really people want is 45hp CRF250L Rally

Exactly!
    Bhart89 likes this.
  7. adam728

adam728 Long timer

Oddometer:
    With Goldwing maintenance intervals and Chinese bike pricing.
    Bhart89, Rogue_Ryder, mf13368 and 8 others like this.
  8. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    I have not read this thread so if this is 205 sorry about that
    There is a place here in Bend selling the SWM bikes, relabeled Huskys built in Italy. Way more modern than the KLR, less weight, better power and I think they have a 650. Its not under 6 grand but still pretty reasonable. The 500 super moto looks pretty bad ass
  9. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    A hybrid crf250l rally and XT660Z would be great.

Judging from the newish bikes, many of the posters on here will be very dissapointed in the 3rd gen KLR.
  10. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not if Kawasaki throws down a 3G KLR650 featuring 60 hp in a 325 pound bike with a windshield, panniers, centerstand and 25,000 mile maintenance intervals for $6000 in camo without a doohickey.

I believe that would please almost everybody. Obviously, riders who believe extra tonnage equals better highway manners would still bitch. For them, Kawasaki can offer optional pannier ballast, cast iron exhaust and steel fairing.
    Fallacy, plumber mike and North ride like this.
  11. adam728

adam728 Long timer

Oddometer:
    People will gripe about any bike. If it's changed, it's not as good as the old one. If it's not changed then it's being neglected and needs updates.

Look at the 450L posted here. Same forum people whine it's too heavy and slow for off road competition, and then that it's too light and performance oriented for 1000 mile days. There is no winning.
  12. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s the ADV way. :photog :jack
    Fallacy, Yinzer Moto and mf13368 like this.
  13. MattR302

MattR302 Awesomeness, Inc.

Oddometer:
    DR790
    Bhart89 likes this.
  14. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love me some ADV conventional wisdom.
    Fallacy, mf13368 and Bultaco206 like this.
  15. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This has been mentioned, I actually went and test rode a few SWM models in Austin Texas. Nice guys and nice bikes. The SD is a little pricey, $8995 + $800 in fees. The SM was $8495 + $800 in fees, see a pattern? The fees add up and then a few little extras and you're closing in on $10k real quick. The SWMs of today are better than the Husky models were though.

I like them and the SD is close, if not a little heavy to what I'm looking for but I think the fees push them into other bike territory. Maybe someone will put a CSC RX4 motor in a Honda Rally 250 frame!?
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just put 13.5k on SD through Europe and Asia and there are easy ways to drop the weight on SD. The OEM exhaust cans are boat anchors, heat shields are cast iron just replacing those with cheapo Chinese cans and exhaust wrap will take 8-12lbs off. And there are other places to take weight off inmate got his down to 157kg with 14L of fuel.

Yes bike has some issues like kickstand being to close to centerline, weak lower subframe bolts, POS rear rack but otherwise it's not bad; for what, $2100 more than KLR? And add the cost of fixing suspension and adding center stand, bashplate, guards and lights to KLR.

Putting rx4 engine in CRF would make it weight and cost as much as SD.. just saying.
  17. FoggRider

FoggRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder if anyone has ever gone RTW on a jet ski? Kawi is still making a shitload of those.
  18. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    The weight is all wrong, and no racks available. :photog
    Fallacy, Yinzer Moto, mf13368 and 4 others like this.
  19. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well . . . CLOSE!

A series on cable TV chronicles a batch of jet-skiers plying the waters of many countries . . . they stay, in some cases, just one jump ahead of the local Coast Guard; have arguments and even departures from the group; bargain for gasoline with Eskimos (or whatever the politically-correct ethnic label might be); make desperate repairs in the field (or, more correctly stated, on the water). Did they even cross the Bering Strait to Russia?

As far as I know, they were NOT nominated for a Nobel Prize for their expedition, but then . . . they didn't sail a million-dollar racing yacht across the Atlantic! :lol2
    cyclopathic and FoggRider like this.
  20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll bet kwak can build one by shoehorning Ninja 400 mill into CRF 250 Rally chassis.. for about 7k