KLR discontinued?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bama67, Sep 15, 2018.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Well the "skipped model year" is not looking so good at this point. I find it hard to believe that Kawi would completely walk away from this segment so I'm patient.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    All I see is one cool retro bike and a bunch of other street bikes that all kinda look from the same mold.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Don't really see the RX4 and 500X as competition?

Maybe if Honda added a R version with spoke wheels shoppers might cross shop.

To me a RX4 buyer wants that spoke wheel & USD suspension to go ride/tour on BDRs/forest/Jeep roads etc. They are buying a torquey 450 thumper for dirt use.

A 500x buyer is buying to explore back paved roads and some gravel running if they add a plate and different tires. They are buying a 500 twin for street use.
  4. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Well, if no one fills the void the KLR left, maybe Kawi is happy with the 2020 X 300?

__
    I'm patient too.

[​IMG]
    :D
  5. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised you would post this.

All they have to do is add spoke wheels.

There is nothing great about the RX4's suspension stock. Maybe that is what I'm missing. Perhaps the RX4 could pull away from the stock CBX in the dirt.

Sure, the RX4 has more low end grunt than the CBX, but odds are the Honda is going to have about the same COG and be about the same mass, and the Honda would be right there with the 450 on the dirt and have 10 more horses on the highway. Hell, the Versy X 300 might be able to keep up with the RX4 in the dirt and she is all hp and no torque.

The price is fairly close too with the Honda.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    $6,699. Tyres are not stock.
    The extra $1,300 gives you longer service intervals, HOnda parts, and mechanics on the North American continent. That closes the gap.
    Destination is $380. :deal

I see the RX4 has a mini S10 or RGS. Same goes for the stock CBX with some spoke wheels, that's all.
    Both of these bikes will spend 80% + of their time on the tarmac.
    Rally Raid stage 3 is a different animal.

I'm curious to what our Asylum expert on the CBX thinks. Granted, she may have not ever sat on the RX4.

@JMo (& piglet)
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anchor Steam Dry Hopped? The score is 1:1 but don't think about zeroing it out we will have give justice to both.
  7. GhettoCanuck

GhettoCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When is the last day of eicma? Once it's over I can be certain of my disappointment.
    merc16 likes this.
  8. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Well, Honda just showed the brand new 500 and 300 Rebel.
    At least 8 hours ago it looks like that did. I just put in eicma and click on news with google.

So, it's not over until the fat lady sings.

__
    Still holding out for a 21/17 KTM 390.
    2WheelNeal and OU812 like this.
  9. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    5 Concept Motorcycles From EICMA 2019 We Want To See In Production

We are confident that perhaps four of these will become a reality in the near future

[​IMG]
    greenohawk69 likes this.
  10. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    EICMA 2019: DUCATI SHOWCASES OFF-ROAD CENTRIC DESERT X AND SUPERMOTO SCRAMBLER CONCEPTS
    Aditya Chatterjee |Updated: November 07, 2019, 08:08 PM IST

Italian motorcycle manufacturer Ducati has brought two different off-road centric concepts, the Desert X and the Supermoto at the ongoing EICMA 2019 show in Milan, Italy. These two offerings were a part of the exhaustive Scrambler update that was showcased at the motor show. When do we see these concepts turn into production ready motorcycles? Not anytime soon, unless Ducati proves us wrong and releases test mules of the same sometime next year. For now, here's what we know of the two concepts.

[​IMG]

The Ducati Desert X is essentially the company's interpretation of a Dakar bike that can be ridden on any kind of terrain. Basically the BMW GS and the Honda Africa Twin territory, where the brand has not any presence so far, except for the Ducati Desert Sled. The Desert X uses the Scrambler 1100 as the base motorcycle and gets its styling from the Dakar Rally bikes of yesteryears that can be seen with the retro styled half fairing, LED lights and also an engine cover along with a compact windscreen. It also gets additional fuel tanks for longer mileage, rally styled upswept exhaust, knuckle guards and a single-seat set-up. The Desert X comes with 19-inch front and 17-inch rear wheels. The technical specifications of the Ducati Desert X is yet to be unveiled, however, it is already known that 85.6PS/88Nm making Ducati's Desmodromic 1,079cc L-Twin motor will be powering this one, that will be EuroV compliant.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    It might as well be. If kwak had that card up sleeve they would have played it by now.

I suppose we did get the replacement from team orange (disclaimer: my boss is a pumpkin)
  12. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
  13. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer: