KLR discontinued?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bama67, Sep 15, 2018.

1. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    A few things made the KLR have such a great run.
    Now, I'm looking at the post 2008 model.

Excellent ergos and commamcomm views.
    Good wind protection.
    Great range.
    Good seat.

Somehow folks bought these bikes with the crap suspension and terrible sag.
    In February 2014, they snuck in the New Edition with the imporved suspension and slimer seat.

Honestly, if the New Edition was out just two months prior, I would have been hard pressed to pass on aa leftove 2013 DR650 that was $1,000 off MSRP.
    I road the MIGHTY DR off and on from January to late October 2014 and put 20,000+ miles on her.
    Never did one engine mod. Sold her with 30,000 miles before coming to Montana.
    Only issue was the cam chain tensenor gasket was wepping oil at 24,000 miles or so. My mechanic charged me like $35.

___
    I never understood two things about the KLR.
    1. Why would it need to be liquid cooled at just 35 horse power? 6500 was max rpm. A huge cylinder with that much seface area should sheed heat quickly. Maybe it was the large gas tank.
    2. Why folks kept buying them with all of the extra mods needed that Kawi did not want to fix? The temp guage was useless, which ties back into being liquid cooled.
    kojack06 likes this.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yep.

The reality there are alot more dudes out their buying reasonably priced dual-sports than those spending top $ on better machines.
    It fit a wide range of people. It has a big tank, big seat and a windshield plus a stock skid plate.
    It has a nice torquey 650 motor.

It may not be all flash and glamour but it works for alot of buyers with a certain budget.

...just like Two Buck Chuck out sells every other wine by a large margin...
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Big tank and windshield from the factory is what I hear ALL the time.
    The only "needed" fix is the dohickey and many roll w/o that being done.
    The_Precious_Juice and kojack06 like this.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    or if Kawi was indeed blind-sided by this nothing new in the line for 2019.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    were are more stringent CARB emissions rules listed this year???

bikes have a corporate avg among all and Kawi, being a performance oriented company, has always been razor tight.
    Unlike others, Kawi has no scooters and such to help offset.
    The carb 250 went away and came back FI because they avg fell below the limit...something needed to be chopped off.
    FoggRider and The_Precious_Juice like this.
  6. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Good feedback.

I'm sure there are plenty of guys in Tokyo that are like:
    " Why would we need to stop production if no one wants to build a sub $7,000 ADV bike to compete with ours?"
  7. Cereal KLR

Cereal KLR Wall of Sound

Oddometer:
    Oh hell, what will I change my avatar name too....

Had several of these tanks over the years and lots of great adventures with them. They were certainly not for everybody, and I celebrated the hint of thriftyness it advertised.

As they will be collectable soon, there is still time to buy an uncrated camo version as a hedge against future losses.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    not finding anything for 2019 as far as CARB having tighter moto emissions?
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    if anything the gov is trying to ease limits vs CARB.
    why not just drop the KLR for California only for 2019 until their is a replacement?
    Kawasaki must sell a boatload of them in California.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  10. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:

True.

It's like putting down a dog that can still play catch.
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Precious Juice,
    you're not really saying anything nor pointing to some hard new rules.
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    ...anyway, i'm heading out for a long dual-sport ride

The mighty KLR is gone...long live the mighty KLR!
    Geobeemer and FoggRider like this.
  13. GhettoCanuck

GhettoCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im betting on ak-47 production ceasing worldwide.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  14. danptobin

danptobin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    if the klr is indeed discontinued and not just on a production brake like honda did with the 650l to flush out old inventory it will likely not be replaced. khi is a budget concious company and the daul sport market especially in the us does not offer a good return on investment. if hondas 450l sells well and seems to pull sales fron the 650l they will likely drop the 650l. suzuki simply cant afford to do much at all. even yamaha is feeling slow sales. how many markets is the klr still sold in? the trend for vehicle makers now is to have vehicles that they sell in most if not all markets they compete in so they can keep a good return on investment. if the klr is only sold in north america it doesnt fit this trend and accountants would be recommending dropping it because it doesnt make finacle sense to them
  15. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Yep.

People place their faith in technology nowadays, not reputation or common sense or skill. And their own self worth is calculated by how they think others view them. If you're not riding that latest, greatest spec sheet champion you couldn't possibly be a real rider. Practicality is dying. Flash and pomp are in.

That said, the KLR,DR,XR bikes were grossly ignored by their builders. They could have given us so much more than they did. All three are good platforms that could have been great with a few small improvements. Every one of them should have gotten a 6th gear at least ten years ago. Every one if them could have been given better forks/shocks/ brakes throughout the years. It's sad to see them fade away, but it was self inflicted.

But I do hope whatever comes next isn't riddled with electronics as standard equipment. I know the tech guys love that stuff for solid reasons and they should be given the option to upgrade to the bionic bike they want. But there's also the other group of people who don't want that stuff for that solid reasons. Here's hoping the "upsell" doesn't get forced down their throats.
    brucifer, FR700, GhettoCanuck and 4 others like this.
  16. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Debbie downer

You may be right, and we get nothing.
    Maybe we get a chineseium "world bike" as a sort of replacement.
    Maybe we get a new KLR from the ground up (unlikely.)

Mamma Kaw has been recycling the KLX250 with various updates since 1994. Its still alive and kicking in the US.

I think we'll see a replacement, I have no clue what it might be. The speculation is part of the fun.
  17. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    I bought my '03 with 40k on the clock. Horribly neglected bike, but it cleaned up well. I put over 10k miles on it in the year I owned it, and it was still on the stock Doo. Current owner has it over 60k miles now...still the stock Doo.

I think many Doo failures may have been the result of hamfisted owners. It was a stupid design in general ( re: the spring) and the lever is easily broken if overtightened. Being an internal engine part, I'm not surprised that many budding mechanics ran those bolts down fuggin-tight and snapped doos. Jmo, of course.

The thing thst most likely kept that Doo from ever failing was the lack of maintenance. Nobody fucked with it, so it lived. I flogged that bike mercilessly. It was a solid bike. Only time it ever didn't start was one morning the starter button was froze solid in an ice storm :D
    DaFoole, wee-twin and Adanac rider like this.
  18. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I completely agree and with the addition of F.I. and maybe a knock sensor .
  19. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information and, "heads up," nhdiesel!

My riding partner has 92,000 miles on his 2008 KLR650; plans a 4,500-mile ride later this month from the US-Mexico border to Canada and beyond . . .

QUICK! I must WARN him!
    DaFoole likes this.
  20. danger_dave

danger_dave @daves.place

Oddometer:
    I had a 2012 KLR for 6 years and it never let me down once. Nothing went wrong with it and I didn’t bother with the doohickey either. Never needed to.
    It handled fine, there was nothing wrong with the suspension, power output was suitable for a thrash and the stock screen worked well.
    It was good cheap transport and still is the best selling ADV bike here.
    My guess is it was approaching the point where it won’t pass euro pollution regs either. Carburettor and all.