KLR footpeg bolt problem

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Arkzooky, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Arkzooky

Arkzooky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On my '08 KLR 650, one of the mounting holes containing a welded nut for the footpegs is stripped. The nuts are welded to the bracket, then the bracket is welded to the frame, 2 nuts in each bracket.
    I purchased new bolts, grade 8 in 9mmX1.25X30mm length, which was the correct length to go through the fastway pegs and the centerstand, but one of them stripped and I think the others are iffy--. My question is what would be the easiest fix for this--should I try to drill out for a 10mm bolt (and re-tap) or cut off the entire brackets, replace the nuts, then re-weld. Anyone else ever have this problem?
  2. ABHooligan

ABHooligan The Flying Mythos

Oddometer:
    Try a heli-coil first. If that doesn't work, then go to the next size. I wouldn't started cutting and welding the brackets until you reeeeally screw it up.
  3. Arkzooky

Arkzooky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had thought about that--torque specs call for 18'# and I guess a properly installed heli-coil may take it ok.
    Winter is setting in and I have other bikes , so I will employ the help of my next door neighbor (machinist) and get it done right. Thanks.:D
  4. tagalong

tagalong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those welded nuts on the KLR have 2 major problems, They are mild steel and strip easily if the bolt gets the least bit loose or if you install bolts that are harder than the threads in the nuts. Second problem is that they are very shallow, so there isn't much material there to grab the threads on the bolt. This second problem is also what will probably make the above suggestion of a heli-coil not work. It's a fairly standard practice on the KLR to cut off the box and weld on stronger 10mm hardened nuts, then weld the box back onto the frame.
  5. Arkzooky

Arkzooky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bolts harder than the nuts--hmmm. I bought grade 8 and the Chinese nuts in there are probably grade something else. Kinda important to be strong since you STAND on the pegs.
    If I remove the nut plates with my die grinder, I will probably have it welded back at a welding shop since I would hate to depend on my handywork with my too small mig machine.
    Interesting owning this KLR. I will fix it. I will win. It will not beat me!
  6. hoyks

hoyks Tightass KLR rider

Oddometer:
    The centre stand will put a lot of stress on the foot peg brackets, especially if you climb on and off the bike while it is on the stand, or move it around pivoting on the stand.

The repair I have seen is to get a 3 - 4mm plate, drill the holes to match the foot pegs hole spacing then weld 2 x 10mm nuts to it. Drill out the nuts in the frame so the 2 nuts on the plate fit into the holes in the frame and it all fits up neatly, then weld the plates onto the existing brackets. Quick spray of paint and it's done.

Open the holes in the foot peg brackets, stand brackets, crash bars and whatever else out to 10mm and bolt it all up again with new 10mm bolts. Much stronger than standard.

Helicoils don't really work as there isn't enough material to tap them into.
  7. MacG

MacG Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. bete

bete misguided adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great fix Macgyver
  9. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    Nice job. Now if I only had a welder :D
  10. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I snapped a stock bolt off, found that one of the nuts was stripped out.
    Chased the threads with a tap, used grade 8 bolts with 242 blue Loctite.
    Worked for a few months, the bolts kept working loose.

One finally nut stripped out, I drilled out the peg bracket and the mount holes, tapped the peg bracket and mount holes and ran a heli-coil in both.
    I used 271 red Loctite to keep the coils in place, then I used 271 to keep the bolts in place.

Been like that for over a year with no problems.

I think part of the problem is that the foot peg bracket holes get "worn out", so no matter how tight you crank down the bolts there is a little bit of play which ends up chewing up the bolt and finally breaking it.

Next time one fails I am going to weld the foot peg brackets to the frame.
  12. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    Helicoil is the best solution short of welding the peg brackets on.

I just put my 685 motor in a new frame (broke the old frame) and before I even go for the first ride on it I am going to drill out and Helicoil the OEM mounting holes, even though they aren't stripped.

The OEM captive nuts have about 3 threads for the bolt to pull on, the Helicoils have about 6 or 7.

Thanks
    CA Stu
  13. BigSingle

BigSingle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I started by going to harder bolts early just in case. Then one day while hill climbing in NM i pulled all 4 bolts clear out and almost got bucked over the bars when my feet hit the ground and the seat hit my ass. After that I had them welded right to the frame.
  14. welder

welder Long timer

Oddometer:
    weld up hole and drill and tap a new correct size thread thread. 20 miniutes tops
  15. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ha.:lol3
  16. Trials_and_Errors

Trials_and_Errors Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. daveinoh

daveinoh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stripped one mounting a center stand, what size heli-coil would one need repair this?

P.S. I really don't think i like the center stand, probably headed back.
  18. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get the Heli-coil kit for 8mm x 1.25 bolts. That's the stock size. Make certain that you have the proper 21/64" drill bit, too.
  19. daveinoh

daveinoh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Al, worked beautifully. Much easier to repair than I thought it would be.
    Bigger Al likes this.
  20. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb Helicoils scare a lot of people, but they really are simple to use. Glad it did the job.

I've had two different center stands on my KLR, and while they are useful in a few circumstances, they're really not necessary on this kind of bike. One of the prop rod tools that are available will do the same job, weigh a fraction of the stand, and pack up small enough to carry in a tank bag. All good things, IMHO.