KLR future, does it have one?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by amk, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Camas

Camas Rooster Bastid

Oddometer:
    Sounds to me like you don't want a KLR or maybe you just are stirring the pot. If you ever ride a thumper you will have stuff break. As for rotting and falling off...WTF have you been personally experiencing? ...loose bolts on a thumper perhaps? :lol3
  2. carburated

carburated Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's only the best selling dualsport made. Nah, no future...
  3. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    Imported here?:ear And Where is HERE? Fill out your profile newb!

Funny post! See what the amazing Vstrom's do to riders? How spoiled they get, anti-maintenance ... well.... I got to be sort of the same with mine after 50,000 trouble free miles. :clap

All these posts and no one picked up on the F.I. thing. It clear Carbs on bikes are not long for this world. Kawasaki will have to go to F.I. in the very near future .... by law. To pass ever stricter EPA rules, this is their only option. I was really surprised KHI did not do this in '07. In the long run, would have saved money.

IMO, this is good news for KLR guys, new or old. It could mean Kawi will go back in and revise the KLR even more, perhaps covering a few things they ignored in '07. Like an upgrade to the 21st Century with the motor, for example? Sure, it's a good motor now but I'm quite sure they could do better.

More power, less weight, better fuel economy. KHI can do this and now that the KLR has proved to be a continuing sales success, it makes sense for them to push the bike more, making it more modern yet still retain it's original mission.

Look for a switch to F.I. in 2010/11. All the big four will have to go in this direction. Honda has confirmed this publicly, Suzuki are working on a "All New" dual sport, I have no specifics. (new DR650?)
  4. amk

amk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First, thank you all who respond to my questions.<o:p></o:p>
    I would like to clear out that the question was not about the bike I should ride, if any, nor I was challenging the KLR virtues.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I have no doubt, the majority of owners has zero issues with their mighty KLRs, but the KLR still is the only bike that has some problems right out of the crate. I do not mean the improvements that every body makes in accordance to his own desires. I mean that most of KLR do not have excessive oil consumption, but there are more than one which have. The rubber, the rear shocks, and the notorious doo. Does anybody know of another motor make which, let&#8217;s say in 10% of cases, requires to be taken apart right out of the dealers floor to fix a known problem?<o:p></o:p>
    Plus, it has been said before, that the update of the pre 08 model had to have FI and 6 gear. The FI especially, whether it is good or bad, is a mandatory thing for all modern street legal vehicles to be able to keep up with ecological laws.<o:p></o:p>
    That&#8217;s said, I think that 2008 version is not the last one. If not the problems, but the FI has to be fixed, otherwise the bike will become incompatible with the legal stuff.<o:p></o:p>
    And Tenere, guys overseas have it, we in <st1:place w:st="on">North America</st1:place> do not. Apparently Tenere, if imported here, would be a couple of thousands more than KLR, but I still think, if that is to happen, Tenere will kill KLR in its 2008 version. Again, what do you think? <o:p></o:p>
  5. jazzmans

jazzmans fickt euch

Oddometer:
    My 97 KLR is dog-stone reliable. It's got somewhere over 30k, 18 of which I put on her myself. It's easy to work on and inexpensive.

I love this bike, I'll probably always have a KLR no matter what other bikes I own. It always puts a smile on my face.

I expect kawa will Always have a KLR.

jaz
  6. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    "Does anybody know of another motor make which, let’s say in 10% of cases, requires to be taken apart right out of the dealers floor to fix a known problem?"

BMW have had a few like that .... :deal

But the problems you bring up are not fantasy, this I know for sure. A good friend has an '07 that was gulping oil like mad .... like a quart in
    500 miles. Kawasaki took it back, haven't spoken to him to hear the results. But he is covered fully. Otherwise he loved the bike.

(please kill the black font .... really distracting)
  7. buggiebuggie

buggiebuggie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "the KLR still is the only bike that has some problems right out of the crate."

WRONG

"Does anybody know of another motor make which, let’s say in 10% of cases, requires to be taken apart right out of the dealers floor to fix a known problem?"

YES

"FI...is a mandatory thing for all modern street legal vehicles to be able to keep up with ecological laws."

what is an ecological law?... do you mean epa standards? or Al Gore's money making eco-law B.S?... either way.....WRONG AGAIN

I'm just mad becuase i don't know where you are... It would be fun to sit around at the local and hash this out over suds. I'll buy if you're close!
  8. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey buggie, when you finally put down that Sarah Palin poster :poser and stop bashing poor Al Gore ....

Take a look on Honda's website or just tune into any industry blog and you'll see that ... CARBS ARE DONE. (to be blunt!)

Sure, if you own a carbed bike, you are fine and are grandfathered in.
    Don't worry, Al Gore and his gang won't come and take away your CR500 two stroke and your stash of AK47's. :rofl

But ALL the big four, KTM, BMW will be going F.I. on every bike, with the exception of some minis and such. Honda has comfirmed 100%
    of "full size" bikes will be F.I. by 2010. (this included motocrossers, enduros).

I think the guy claiming the KLR out of crate has problems is mostly
    wrong, there have been a few issues. Hey, nobody is perfect!
    I rode the new KLR, liked it! F.I. is an opportunity to KHI to make an even better bike. I hope they do!

If you know anything about KHI then you know the kind of massive engineering clout they have. Check out the web site. A ... mazing!
    Business Jets, HUGE tankers, HUGE bridges and much more. This is a very serious world class company that have the ability and money to do what ever they want with the KLR. Will they do anything?
    Probably not, they are very tight in the motorcycle division. I know people who worked at Kawi USA. (note: worked):slurp
  9. kliff

kliff Retired Ole Phart

Oddometer:
    If you're having doubts about a KLR, before purchasing, and need someone to justify YOUR expenditure, on a bike YOU seem unimpressed with...don't buy it. You'll never be happy.

I bought a DR650, not because the KLR is a bad bike, but because the DR met my criteria, for what I wanted to do.
    Air cooled, minimal body work to damage in a fall down, ease of valve adjustments, lighter weight, and no internal mods needed, for "piece of mind(doohickey)"

Analyze what you want, then compare bikes, and buy what suits your needs. Don't expect, however, any DS bike to be perfect, outta the box. "Custom tailorring" is a must.:D
  10. amk

amk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It would be nice, but I assume that <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Edmonton</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">Alberta</st1:State></st1:place> does not fall under you definition of "local", does it?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Anyway, I am not seeking an advice about my personal needs. I am trying to find peoples' opinion on the future of this motorcycle more meaningful than simple "the KLR does not need any improvement because it suits me well enough, and whoever it does not is an asshole."
  11. Ragin Rabbi

Ragin Rabbi Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    Swore to myself that I wouldn't get involved in another of these types of threads. However....

Yes, the KLR has a future. We may not be able to identify the bike of the future that will carry the KLR tag as a KLR, but the name has a certain amount of credibility.

Will it have FI? From what I have heard/read, yes, it'll have to to meet emissions.. Do I think that'll be a bad thing? No, folks used to say that liquid cooling was a bad idea. And six speed trannys...

This last itineration of the KLR was not what I was hoping for. I was hoping for a more dirt-worthy bike. But, Kawi did the research, and went for the market. Good on 'em.

I don't want huge horsepower. Some more would be nice, but nothing too radical for me, thank you. A taller sixth gear would be nice. Larger/stronger front forks, USD type would be nice as well. Better rear-shock and I'm a happy happy camper. Oh, as long as I can pack the kitchen sink on it as well.

I have an '06, I have the doo, havn't done the doo. I adjust the stock one and ride. I will replace it this winter though before Alaska or Nova Scotia (whichever I have the cash for). And add some heated grips, after I change out the stock handle bars and add risers...

As far as the statement of how much has to be done out of the box, KTM guys make changes, BMW guys make changes, Husky guys make changes. Is it like the Doo? Nope. But no bike is perfect out of the box.
  12. trailuser

trailuser take the backroads

Oddometer:
    You've got to be kidding one of the most sucessful DS (adventure touring) type bikes over the last 10-15 years:huh

I owned four of them, the most recent one an 07; I've put over 14,000 on it in about 9 months and not a problem.

Same with the others as well!

I've always upgraded the doohickey but mine were always in tact, although I've seen broken ones though.
  13. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    The KLR is such a good mix of capabilities that it almost pisses me off. I'd love to be able to snob-up with a BMW or KTM or whatever and still have the all-round great-compromise abilities of the KLR, but nothing else really fits in the same niche and nothing else comes close for anywhere near the same $$$. I flirt with getting rid of the bike constantly, but have yet to identify anything worth replacing it with for the types of riding I like and/or want to do. It would take three bikes to replace my KLR.

John
  14. jeckyll

jeckyll Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Buy it, don't buy it, who cares.

If you're not convinced it's for you, don't get it. Figure out what is most important on your 'nice to have' list and then go. But for crying out loud, stop with this 'not reliable' nonsense.

And as for 'only bike with issues', you don't know enough to make these statements. If you did, you wouldn't make them LOL
  15. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:

Well put.

I bought my '95 KLR about 18 months ago, and I simply love the damned thing! It takes me back to when I first started riding. It's simple, reliable as a rock, and a ton of fun. It's no KTM or V-Strom, but it does things well enough to make me smile every time I ride it.
    Will it last? It will for me. Wrenching on my own machines is something that I enjoy almost as much as riding them, so the KLR fits me like a glove.

I think that you'd be much happier with a DR650. They're good to go right off of the showroom floor without all of the perceived quirks and faults that the Kawi posesses, and should run for a long time without any maintenance, which seems to me to be a qualification for you.
  16. RoberTx

RoberTx Blind man ridin'

Oddometer:
    By sometime next week my '08 will cross the 17,000 mile mark. The motor is stock, stock, stock. 57-61 mpg. Zero problems.
  17. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:
    No dissrespect, but all bikes have similar issues, including your wee. My particular KLR has over 100,000 miles on it, I fail to see why a turn signal problem from loose bolts would keep you from buying a bike?

I work on these bikes for a living and almost all bikes can have issues right out of the crate, I could give you countless examples.

Remember the net blows everything way out of proportion. I have owned many different bikes, and the KLR is hands down the most trouble free bike out of all of them.

Although I love the KLR guys, there are an over abundance of new and whiny riders. Also there are an abundance of KLR owners on the net, and bad news travels the fastest.
  18. KilLeR Kawasaki

KilLeR Kawasaki Marky A

Oddometer:
    Why didn't you adjust them on day one?

I've only about 2k miles on my '08 and I really have nothing else to compare it to. I am 46 and this is my first real bike. It has good manners on the road, and great potential off. It seems to be a perfect bike for Colorado. I am glad it only has thirty something horses. I could get in serious trouble with more. I can get in trouble with thirty.

My only misgiving is that I have low funds and can't afford crash bars now. Without one penny down, I am paying $130 a month with insurance on this bike. Insurance is $11 per month! Life is good. I will be very sad when old man Winter comes ablowing around here.
  19. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    Fixed! :1drink

Ridden your KLR on any enduros lately? Caveman is the man! :clap
  20. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey! :lol3

You forgot about the DR650. Right down the same alley.