KLR future, does it have one?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by amk, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    Wrong! Ever heard of Euro lll? No single four stroke will get past this W/O F.I. CAT converters too me thinks. CARB have already mandated similar limits .... as goes CARB so goes the EPA. (don't get me started on CARB ..... a created bureaucracy from the 70's whose mandate expired long ago but who've managed to create jobs for life for themselves:eek1 ... and now set the standards for EPA ... way too much power.) If these laws are not on the books yet, they most certainly will be by 2010. The Japanese know what is coming down and have ALWAYS been ahead of deadlines on emission regs. Follow their history, especially Honda with their very low emission designation started YEARS ago and scoring way under the limits.

IMO, a liquid cooled, F.I. modern KLR650 similar to the current KLX250 would be pretty cool. Smaller, lighter, better stronger chassis, good comfort, better suspension, better fuel economy. All good, no? The KX450R is a revelation. Wish it was street legal to and made a bit more travel friendly. A "revised" KLR650 could follow that model but be more touring oriented. Just dreaming......

Cheers.
  2. buggiebuggie

buggiebuggie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on the emissions... in the future....but at the same time Honda has been ahead of the curve, they sell kits... example: "power up" kit for the XR650R that sidestep any emissions gained by restricting the intake, leaning out the jetting and stiffling the exhaust.

My statement was and will stay that here was no laws in place that REQUIRED the KLR to be FI in 08, as stated by our original thread starter... good thread by the way! Here's what I was responding to...

"the update of the pre 08 model had to have FI and 6 gear. The FI especially, whether it is good or bad, is a mandatory thing for all modern street legal vehicles to be able to keep up with ecological laws."

Hey, are you guys getting the Versys yet? That's FI and you still can't have it? What gives with that?

<?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>

3. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry, but the Versys just does not stack up in any category. I'll admit that I was smitten by it when first announced, but KHI really dropped the ball big time on that scoot. It had sooo much potential to crush the Wee-Strom. Lack of follow through on ergos and poor choice in component placement is what killed it for me. But, I digress, the Versys is not a thumper and thus has no weight on this discussion. Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

BTW, my KLR threw me into a mudhole yesterday and came out shining (so to speak). No way would I have tried that same road on something of less "versatility" than the KLR. :D
  4. Mad Kaw Disease

Mad Kaw Disease Dual Sport Diseased

Oddometer:
    As an 07 KLR owner, I'll admit I wasn't impressed with what little improvement came with the extra 60 pounds on the 08. But I watched 24 of them fly off the showroom floor at my local dealer in under two months so somebody likes it just fine.

Bottom line is the KLR is the single best selling model of bike in the last 20 years, there's a reason for that. Aftermarket support is phenomenal, hell you could build a whole bike from the used parts available on ebay at any point in time. Wish that were true of my KTM.

Bottom line is an awful lot of people like the KLR for an awful lot of reasons (myself included) no matter what the "academic" arguments for or against say. More so than any of the other bikes mentioned. If it works...it works.
  5. montesa_vr

montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

Oddometer:
    You mean best selling model of dual sport bike. And all the dual sports put together don't sell as many as any one manufacturer's 600cc road rockets. There's a reason why all the R&D goes somewhere besides dual sports.
  6. Mad Kaw Disease

Oddometer:
    No I meant best selling single model of bike "period" according to industry stats. All the 600cc sport bikes are NOT one "model" of bike nor has any one of them been around unchanged for 23 years.
  7. homefront

homefront Adventurer

Oddometer:
    http://verlenelson.com/KLR/

The above quote is found at the above link.
    The article in the above link is what made me test ride an '08 KLR.
    Compare it to any damn thing you want, but the KLR is a light handling, curve hugging, economical, roomy, comfortable bike that can go off-road when needed. Mine burns no oil, and has had nothing go wrong in 2,000 miles.
    All the hair splitting is academic; the machine works well. Potential buyers should get on one and then decide, as I did. Most nay-sayers are just defending their choice of ADV bike, which is fine, excepting that bike preference is very subjective.
  8. Hondo

Hondo **********

Oddometer:
    IMO, it has a bright future.
  9. montesa_vr

Oddometer:
    I think you might want to revisit your industry stats.
  10. Mad Kaw Disease

Oddometer:

Why don't you just enlighten me with the correct answer then? What is the best selling single, unchanged model of motorcycle?
  11. montesa_vr

Oddometer:
    I have no idea. If I had to guess, I'd go with the Harley Sportster, in production since 1957.

I don't mean to be irritating about this, but the idea that dual sports are big sellers is a common misperception. There's a thread out here right now on hating Yamaha because they haven't announced any new dual sports for 2009. Well they don't sell!

According to the KLR650 road test in the November 2007 issue of Cycle World magazine, the KLR is the best selling dual sport in the U.S., selling "nearly 7000" annually (page 81.) They say it outsold the next best selling dual sport, the Suzuki DRZ400S, by almost two to one. According to Kawasaki, the KLR650 is their fourth best selling bike.

I mean, do the math. If the KLR sells 7000 a year, and the DRZ400S sells another 3500, that's only 10,500 motorcycles a year. Even if you triple that number for all the other dual sports combined, you're talking about 30,000 motorcycles out of annual sales of over one million. (ADVrider Brtp4 has access to some data and thinks it might have reached 40,000 by now -- http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302374 That means right now about 3-4% of motorcycle sales are dual sports. That's barely even a niche.

Just for reference, Harley sold over 70,000 Sportsters last year alone.
    http://investor.harley-davidson.com/shipments.cfm?bmLocale=en_US
  12. amk

amk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. pistol777

pistol777 Freedom Seeker

Oddometer:
    But let me ask you this when a group of harley's or squids pass you by does it raise your spirit or get you thinking where are they going? Does nothing right? But then you see a lone KLR or DR or KTM Adv and your pulse quickens all of a sudden for an instant you wake up and life is clear again ,well my point is it may not even be a niche but is a beautiful thing to those that understand!:lol3 :wink:
  14. montesa_vr

Oddometer:
    Exactly! Dual sports are the only part of motorcycling I really care about. It may be a niche, but it's my niche. For decades I have been frustrated by the marginal treatment dual sports receive from the manufacturers and the motorcycle press. Knowing the reality of the sales picture at least helps me understand why.
  15. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your choice in bikes is like comparing that to your choice in women....?
    Some like them low and fast, some like them light , some like them slow and wide, some like them all shinny and clean, some like them down right dirty, some like white, some like yellow, some like black, brown ....do I need to go on....it's a personal choice...to each their own...plain and simple....!

I don't come over to your house and say.....while your better half is standing next to you....man she is fat and slow..or man she needs to gain some weight and clean herself up some....do I....?

We all like different things.....women and bikes...even men for the ladies out there, we're all different....we all need to just get over what buddy rides and enjoy what it is we like most...riding!

As for the KLR...I ride one..I like it....I will continue to ride it and farkle it untill there isn't anything left to farkle.....when the time comes to stop riding....then I'll hand her down to my kids to enjoy.....!
    It's been said over and over....the bike is good at all things but not excellent at a single thing...so what! I like it!
  16. McRuss

McRuss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, new to the forum but not to KLRs. I put about 25k on my '98, then had an opportunity to sell it and pick up a black '07 with 1400 miles. All the farkles came off the '98 and I'm up and running, one year this month, 5200 miles now (I have four other bikes, the KLR is for special duty..this week I'm comuting with it.) I took it to the Texas Adventure Ride last spring, saw lots of '08s and saw lots of broken stuff on them. Glad I stuck with the old style. The doo is a quick fix and that is the only real weak point on the pre -08s (there are lots of other areas for improvement but the the bike is very dependable as is.)

So get the KLR, fix the doohickey and ride without worry!
  17. Mad Kaw Disease

Oddometer:

Well not to belabor a point but I'm sure those I'm referrring to would be quick to point out that the "Sportster" isn't a "model". It's a class of Harleys that currently contains seven very different "models".

But it is really moot to the point I was trying make and that is no other bike has been a good seller for over two decades with virtually no changes but an occasional new paint job. Sport bikes get major upgrades annually, dirt bikes seems like quarterly, even the venerable Gold Wing has morphed over time from a 1000cc naked bike to it's current "1800cc Hondapotamus" status.

But people kept buying the KLR year in and year out without any new fangles to entice them for decades.

What that means is no matter how many negative opinions you read about the KLR, the market disagrees with those opinions. People plunking down thier money is the only opinion that matters.

Oh but one more thing...what sells in the US is not a deciding factor. We are not the only major motorcycle market in the world.
  18. Terrytori

Terrytori Namaste

Oddometer:
    Mostly right. Ninja 250. Slight tweak and then twenty years of
    same 'ol. same 'ol. In fact... Team Green's best selling sport scoot.
  19. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're both wrong. The Honda Super Cub is the best selling single unchanged model. It has not changed since the late 50's Something like over 60 million sold.

http://world.honda.com/news/2008/c080521Cub-Series/
  20. Mad Kaw Disease

Oddometer:
    Yes and no, there are four specific generations of "Ninja 250R" and worldwide there actually are four model variations, ZZR-250; ZX 250 and the GPX 250R and for a while there was the GPZ 250 all of them counted in that "best selling EX 250 platform".

So while it is typical of Kawasaki's "find what works and stick with it" attitude, I'm not sure it qualifies as one single unchanged model.

Of course technically there are three KLRs worldwide so I'll give you that one.

Then there was the Connie, I think it had an 18 year unchanged run before the new brute came out. Like I said, typical Team Green, find what works and stick with it.