KLR future, does it have one?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by amk, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Mad Kaw Disease

Mad Kaw Disease Dual Sport Diseased

Oddometer:

True over 60 million except technically it's a "step through scooter" not a motorcycle.
  2. montesa_vr

montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

Oddometer:
    Nice work. I was looking for that exact information and you provided the perfect reference.
  3. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment. Supporter

Oddometer:
    After traveling all throughout Asia in the Navy and being nearly run over in multiple countries, I had a pretty good idea this was a pervasive little machine. Go to Thailand, Taiwan, mainland China and Japan, then try to walk more than a few hundred feet w/out seeing one of those little Cubs darting in and out of traffic. It can't be done I tell ya. Like frikken cockroaches.... :lol3
  4. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I didnt realize the KLR was so much more spread out in the riding position arena,I guess thats why people lower the pegs on DR's. It does fit me fairly good but I end up standing up a lot due to my jacked up back. The 650 Strom IS way more comfy on a long ride.
  5. IAR

IAR IAR

Oddometer:
    I owned a 05 KLR650, great bike, never any problems. The only reason I sold it was the eventual need for more power. I now ride a 2008 KTM 990 Adventure S, I don't think more power will EVER be an issue on my 990!
  6. Mad Kaw Disease

Oddometer:

Ridge I couldn't agree more. In fact, it is the best selling "motorized vehicle" in the world. So if we can all agree that this 49cc thingy is actually a motorcycle, then case closed. I concede.

[​IMG]
  7. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    This makes sense,buy this man a cigar! My DR is good but not great at anything,my KTM250 two stroke is great at one thing,ripping single track to shreds,like I like! So many bikes,so little time.Ride more! Bull shit less!:lol3
  8. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    You guys in Colorado have all the bitchin mountain riding out there,Ive been out that way a few times but need to go more!
  9. Mad Kaw Disease

Oddometer:

I bought an engine guard for my KLR to protect the water pump a little better and it happened to come with highway pegs on it. I kind of felt stupid using them at first but being able to change positions actually doubled my comfortable daily riding distance to over 400 miles a day. MAJOR improvement.

They made such a comfort difference that the first thing I bought for my 990 Adventure was tank guards so I could put highway pegs on it.

Fortunately I'm old enough that comfort is way more important than "cool".
  10. Mad Kaw Disease

Oddometer:
    I bought an Adventure as well but still find plenty of use for the KLR. I will take it places (putting it in harm's way) that I would never take the KTM.

I'm more willing to beat up a $5000 moto that's cheap to fix than my big, expensive to repair orange baby.
  11. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:

When I hopped on your DR, it felt like I was riding a bicycle. There wasn't much to impede the view from the front, and the ergos just seemed tiny to me. The KLR feels much more like the street bike that it truly is.
    I've still got Strom dreams running through my head for next Spring.:evil
  12. Terrytori

Terrytori Namaste

Oddometer:
    Bang on Ridge.
    Just think how many of we bloviators that little thing launched
    into the world of motorcycles. :rofl
  13. amk

amk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. dsm_rally

dsm_rally The Lorax

Oddometer:
  15. Mad Kaw Disease

Oddometer:

I like those cosmetics a bunch better than '08

Also I read that the company that converts KLRs to run on jet fuel for the Marines is releasing a civilian diesel version in 2009 that gets 100 mpg. Imagine the range on that...
  16. Ridge

Oddometer:
    That company that you mention has been "releasing" the civilian version for the past 10 years or so. No civilian owns one that I know of other than maybe the owner of the company. Even he is suspect at this point... :rofl
  17. Mad Kaw Disease

Oddometer:
    I hear you...the magazine article I first saw it in was at least a year ago and their web page still says "Production Delayed" they claim because the wars have radically upped the demand for the military versions. Could be true, a JP-8 running KLR would be pretty handy in Afganistan or Iraq.

It's pretty though...here's the link.

http://www.hdtusa.com/models.htm
  18. DBCooper

DBCooper Chute!

Oddometer:
    I've got an 08 KLR with 12 K miles on it and so far litttle in the way of issues. Muffler bolt fell off, replaced it myself. No big deal. Battery went caput. My own fault for not keeping it charged over the winter and not keeping it topped up. Burns a little oil. Maybe a quart every 1500 miles or so but depends on the kid of drivig I am doing. Hard out on the slab it burns quite a bit. Lot of city driving burns some too, but not as much. Purring along at 55 it burns very little, which suits me fine since I'm happy at the speed limit and prefer to leave the slab to the truckers.

Kawi did a great job of fixing a lot of issues with previous editions and my dealer was only asking for another $100 over the 2007 price, so it was a good deal as far as I was concerned. Quite a bit of bitchin and moaning over the plastic, but I've had a few tumbles and nothing broke. That shroud keeps my legs dry when it rains so no complaints there.

All in all, a great bike at a great price. I'm not too interested in fuel injection or anything that makes the bike harder to work on. I do all my own wrenching and I'd love to keep it that way.

I bought the bike fishing and camping - logging roads and fire roads and that sort of thing and it is just peachy for that purpose.

Of course, as always, YMMV.
  19. dewunder

dewunder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ive been riding for 38 years, and have owned a number bikes. I havent found the perfect bike yet! I have enjoyed every one for different reasons despite some of their shortcomings. The most unreliable bikes I have owned with out question have been Harley Davidson and BMW. Iam not talking minor problems but trans failure ,topend failure , driveshaft , repairs costing hundreds,along with alot other promblems. So minor details that I have to tend to on my KLR dont really bother me.
    I own one bike now an 04 KLR but I am always looking for the perfect bike!

Does KLR have a future? It does with me.
  20. Ridge

Oddometer:
    Blasphemy and heresy! :lol3 Those that would oppose the KLR (everyone that doesn't or hasn't owned one) will not stand for these examples of ownership and use. :eek1