KLR future, does it have one?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by amk, Sep 3, 2008.

1. SRA

SRA Why is the rum gone?

Oddometer:
    You speak for your own self, not 90% of KLR owners ... How can you claim to speak for 90% of all KLR owners?

Short answer, you can't. You speak for one person, that is you.

Have you really been around the world on a klr? uh... no... Because I know a few people who have and the KLR is the only bike they would do it on and they would do it again. Me and another plan on doing another round the world on a KLR.

Are you just another nare do well sock puppet that really has no experience with the KLR or other motorcycles?
  2. PenGun

PenGun Old and In The Way

Oddometer:
    Do you even have a bike? Looking at your posts it's quite confusing.

You go from saying you have a DR650 to dissing it. Then you go on about how good a KLR is ... I mean it makes no sense.

You are just a troll are you not?
  3. SRA

SRA Why is the rum gone?

Oddometer:
    I say otherwise. I don't know what you have experienced but your testimony here is a crock of shit.
  4. amk

amk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [FONT=&quot]
    To make an assumption on experience by amount of posts that is a bit daring, isn’t it?[/FONT]
  5. Hondo

Hondo **********

Oddometer:
    Not really, as I was replying to what you posted. Then again, I might be wrong about you- you may indeed be a motorcycle Jedi....
  6. klraroundtheworld

klraroundtheworld Ride the World!

Oddometer:
    That’s just well; like your opinion man! [​IMG]
  7. klraroundtheworld

klraroundtheworld Ride the World!

Oddometer:
    Wow what a response!!!! I take back speaking for 90% of klr owners. That was a mistake and I am sorry. So moving on; the klr 650 is a great bike and yes Camas I know how to wrench my own bike!!! And yes SRA I haven’t ridden around the world yet! Key word being yet. I said what I said because it was funny and partially true. Yes Kawi needs to build a better mouse trap but that what makes the klr such a great bike is that it’s a good base to do whatever you want. I am surprised on the comments every one made about my post. Since when does any one care what I think any way.?? It all comes down to happiness are you happy riding your bike?? Well good!!! Go out there and ride away and make sure you save me a seat at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Alice</st1:place></st1:City>’s. Ummm burger that sounds good right now. Oh and Hondo when are you having another tech day. It sounds like fun Ill ride all the way from <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Santa Cruz</st1:City> <st1:State w:st="on">California</st1:State></st1:place> to go to one.
  8. Hondo

Hondo **********

Oddometer:
    Haven't set a date for a Denver Tech day yet, probably March & September.
  9. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    You should look around for KLR rider groups here in the Bay Area. You may find one. If not, why not set one up and do your own tech days? This bike ain't rocket science and there are so many talented owners out there riding KLR's. Just need to get a few together to share knowledge & experience.

I can't think of a better place to have one than Santa Cruz. Paradise.
    (I lived there from '76 to '80)

Good luck and I hope you get to take that beast traveling soon. I'll be heading to Baja again on my DR650 in March. (We go two or three times a year) Also waiting for a break so I can fly my DR from Miami to Colombia and ride South from there. I already spent years in C.A. so skipping all that hassle.
  10. SRA

SRA Why is the rum gone?

Oddometer:
    Well, many in this internet community really don't give a damn about what you or I think. They just want to voice their opinion.

It is those of us that DO care what people think about what we say who make a difference. IMHO

It is what it is.
  11. Kujo1967

Kujo1967 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've put up with my 08 KLR's oil burning issues, lack of power and rubber rotting issues pretty well I think, but a day after I do the Doo, my transmission is jacked!
    That tears it :kboom

A transmission problem in a bike with 6700 miles on it is just plain wrong!
    Regardless of the fact that I can do the work myself and it's a really cheap fix does not excuse the fact that this is totally unacceptable.
    I'm going to fix this and then I'm getting rid of it.
    Don't get me wrong, the bike is great for what it is, but the bottom line is you get what you pay for.
  12. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    Sorry you've had these issues, and I agree ... no excuse.
    "You Get What You Pay For" is not always true however. Take BMW as an example of a high priced bike with myriad issues.

What is your next bike?

(I like my DR650 fine ..... I'm at 23K miles, NO issues and almost zero maintenance other than tires, chain, sprockets, oil changes) valves stay in spec too. The DR just runs and runs and runs. Put on a good seat, pack it up and go)
  13. PenGun

PenGun Old and In The Way

Oddometer:
    I like my 98 KLR650 fine ..... I'm at 26K miles, NO issues and almost zero maintenance other than tires, chain, sprockets, oil changes) valves stay in spec too. The KLR just runs and runs and runs.
  14. Kbetts

Kbetts Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no doubt the doo replacement and the transmission problem are related. I had to try three times to get everything back in the right order. There is a spacer that can fall out and there are other ways to lock up the tranny if you do the doo wrong. Go to KLR650.net and ask Eagle Mike for some help and/or advice. Hope it's easily fixed as mine was.
  15. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    I'll second this opinion!
    If I wasn't doing more off road these days (reason I bought my 08 XT250)
    than on road, I'd have bought my 3rd DR650. First was a 91 the second a 97 and both had many miles on them without a lick of problems. (over 50,000 per bike!)
    Best part was the lack of liqiud cooling to screw up off road!
    Never onve overheated either bike during the slowest of riding of traffic situations.
  16. fixer

fixer KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer:

here's the thread on the diesel KLR goes back to '03.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93674&highlight=diesel+military

hard decision, a vaporware diesel bike with an $18,000 MSRP that you can't ACTUALLY buy at any price, or a new gas bike for less than a third of that, or even a used bike that can be found for an eigth of that price, possibly less and even upgraded with almost every option is still cheap.

if the diesel bike was available for $18,000 and a used gas bike is $2,000 and gas is $2 per gallon, you could go *roughly* 400,000 miles on the gas bike before you equal the cost of the diesel bike. :deal

and the acceleration on the diesel bike sucks.
  17. fixer

fixer KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer:

i brought my pencil, hey gimme something to write on! :lol3
  18. nomosnow

nomosnow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    That's funny! One of the Kawi USA reps told me with some confidence that the DOO Hickey was no longer an issue from '07 forward. Obviously owners out there know something Kawi is not being forthcoming with.

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but any brief details on this?
    Cheers! :freaky
  20. fyr

fyr iRoast Coffee

Oddometer:
    Just got my 05 KLR Monday. Wont be riding it until MArch or April so I plan to put some time into it to make it "mine"
    I had an 02 for about 6 months. I also had dial up internet and no patience, so I had no idea about any doo hickeys. I ran the bike for 6k kilometers but had to sell. I never really gave it a chance and it did do things well.
    So I am giving it another kick at the can.
    Ive had 2 bikes since then. A wee strom for 14K kilometers (bought from new) and a Bonneville. The wee did everything great but I had no passion for it. The Bonneville had that passion but sadly it had to go.
    So I found myself rooting around for another bike. I took stock of 2 primary things. 1- the way I ride and
    2- cost. I'd love to have one of those rocket ship KTM's or HP BMW but for me it was financially impossible. So, I looked at older airheads (leaning towards a GS) still to costly. So I end up looking at the lowly KLR... Well, my ride style is what the KLR was designed for. Commute, errands, back road blasting, and dirt/mud/gravely cottage roads. It came down to KLR's or 15-30 yr old airheads. Well I made my mind up that Id rather pay X amount of $ for a 05 than the same amount for a 15 yr old bike that needs work. I have what will hopefully be a good long stint with that thumper. One that will involve many K's of abuse with shits and giggles thrown in for good measure. I know I've got some work to do (like the Doo) but It'll get done. You could go mad reading the Net with all the possible issues but hey, Id rather pay my price of admission, ride the damn thing and fix what gets busted.
    Does it have a future, with me, a resounding YES. If it wasnt for this lowly bike then I might have been bikeless for awhile.

Now I wait for the wayward and unloved airhead to find it's way into my garage (and that's for fun) or the guy who bought my Bonneville to call & say he's grown out of it. Hopefully in 2-3 yrs.