KLR future, does it have one?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by amk, Sep 3, 2008.

1. SRA

SRA Why is the rum gone?

Oddometer:
    Classic. Hot for teacher.

Van Halen ROCKS!
  2. SRA

SRA Why is the rum gone?

Oddometer:

Brief details??? All of the 07 doos that I have seen have had good welds on them. I have not seen any failed springs on an 07, but 06, 05 you name it. The spring fails. The Doo itself was not changed until 08, where Kawasaki went from a two piece welded unit to a single, stamped unit. Beefier than before, but the fit on the shaft is loose and the spring is too long.
  3. fixer

fixer KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer:

uhhhh... the left side of the motor ain't much different on the '08+ bikes compared to the earlier bikes... so if you dropped parts into the motor on an '08, you could have done the same on the older bikes.

not draining the oil and leaning the bike over seems to make dropping parts into the motor more likely.

while the new doo is "better" it fits loosely and the spring is too long. still should be upgraded, but probably won't grenade like the older one was prone to.
  4. DSjunky

DSjunky Runnin On Empty

Oddometer:
    04' KLR, just turned 50K Miles. That is... Fifty Thousand. Never a problem, zero, none, zilch.. I do my own oil changes every 2500 miles, and have used full syn oil since day one. I did the doohickey when it had 5k on the clock. It doesnt, and never has, burned oil.

For single track woods riding I have a TTR230.
    My TTR is not a KLR.
    The TTR is way more fun than the KLR in the woods..
    I can whip it around like a stingray bicycle.. its damn fun.
    But I have to haul it out there in my trailer.

For open desert flying its my old DR.
    My DR is not a KLR.
    The DR is way easier to ride offroad than my KLR.
    I can whip it around like a big stingray bicycle... its damn fun.
    But I have to haul it in my trailer. Because the DR doesnt have gear room, and it doesnt have the gasoline capacity. And it takes freeways like a dirtbike.

For riding the fwy, hiway or backroads... out to offroad in the the desert, mountains, woods, beach or wherever.. loaded with 60 lbs of camping gear, including a tent, 5 gallons of gas, etc, for a week.. Its the KLR.
  5. jjolly3

jjolly3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In looking for a used KLR, what years are worth considering or is it best to buy one new? Once the Doo is replaced, how many miles are they generally good for?

Thank you,
  6. AKoffroader

AKoffroader Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Having grown up on dirt bikes and motocross as a kid, I didn't own a bike from 1982 till 2003. At 46 in '03 I bought a new TTR250, then in '05 a WR250F. Nice bikes but like a lot of places (urban sprawl) the "dirt" has highway in between it so what I actually needed was a "dual sport".

Of the three reasonable options out there (KLR, DR, XR) I chose an XR650L. I feel the split goes like this....KLR 40/60% (dirt/pavement) DR 50/50% (dirt/pavement) and the XR 60/40% (dirt/pavement).

I feel all three bikes are about equal in a lot of respects and would be happy with any one of them. I like Honda quality and reliability and when you sling your leg over the 37" high saddle you know your on a dirt bike. That said, any of them can be modified with inexpensive farkels to move the split (dirt/pavement) one way or the other.

Yes, us "dual sporters" are an "odd lot" in the world of motorcycling, but this is what I felt closest to my roots (motocross bikes) on. Can't really get excited about Cruisers or Crotch rockets.

I'm just glad we have three very nice, inexpensive, reliable, big bore, Jap, dual sports to choose from. Life is good!

Greg
  7. SRA

SRA Why is the rum gone?

Oddometer:
    All years are good. It's mostly the same bike and no years really beat out others. That being said, a later model KLR would have more of the issues fixed. The V2 bikes, 08 etc, have their own problems. Problems of a first run bike.

You might get 60-90000 miles without a rebuild, or more. I know one with 150000 miles. We do not know if it was rebuilt before 100000, but my friend has put on 50000 since.
  8. Ride Far

Ride Far Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right, and that wasn't me ... that was a hotel owner in Nossombougou, Mali, standing with my DR650! :) But below is a pic of me and the DR, taken last week on a mud road in the Congo.

I rode a KLR to Tierra del Fuego and back in 2004-05 and am now in the Congo after about 10,000 miles on the DR thru Africa, starting from Morocco.

If I had to vote between KLR and DR -- DR wins handily! The DR has plenty of gear room. Fuel capacity ... ? The 7.9-gallon Aqualine tank has been drained dry just once on the Dark Continent. The DR is considerably lighter, more maneuverable, handles better off road, and is flat out more fun.

I don't mean to knock the KLR. My 2003 served me well thru Latin America. I am no fan of the post-2008 models, though ... too much plastic, dual-sport suitability diminished. Eh. IMHO the DR is the better of two good options.

[​IMG]

9. K2ride

K2ride Single track mind!

Oddometer:
    KLR Future?...
    Well, from this 2010 secret spy pic, next year looks good with its new color option:
    [​IMG]:lol3
  10. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an '06 KLR and I love it. These are incredible motorcycles. My buddy owned the '08 in this photo; he sold it to be the earlier model.
    [​IMG]
  11. 2big bronco

2big bronco n00b

Oddometer:
    i bought a 2008 4 months ago with 5000 miles on it and rode 11000 miles leaving the next day. all i did was change the oil regularly, clean the filter, and put in a new spark plug in the middle of my ride. im now trying to sell it because a klr is not my style but i do feel it was the best bike i could have bought for the ride. bone stock it ran great and got me where i needed to go on and off road without issue. seemed like a great reliable bike to me
  12. edgy

edgy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I`m with Ride-far on this one,the old shape is far more reliable and durable and has less crap to break...they are the legend!
  13. Roarin

Roarin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think Kawasaki has painted itself into a bit of a corner. The main reason for such strong sales seems to be the price. And as others have said, you get what you pay for. If they up the quality control, up goes the price and the sales drop off. To me it seems that the problems with the newer bikes is a quality control issue. Some bikes are fine -others are shit. It all comes back to the almighty dollar.
  14. NotRite

NotRite Anxiety Reduction

Oddometer:
    n o