KLR only pics!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by damasovi, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Canyon Man

Canyon Man "60% of the time, it works all of the time"

Oddometer:
  2. Canyon Man

Oddometer:
    I love my KLR, if I could lift into my bed, I'd sleep with it!
  3. patrkbukly

patrkbukly Life at 10,000 feet

Oddometer:
    That should be a bumper sticker.
    AzMtnThumper likes this.
  4. Canyon Man

Oddometer:

Agreed!
  5. Scud Runner

Scud Runner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What creek is that and where. Agree should definitely be a bumper sticker.
  6. Canyon Man

Oddometer:
    Lick Creek. Located in southern middle TN. It’s a 200 mile mostly gravel and dirt road trek called the TN Dirt Devil. Lots of creek crossings.
    snake89, Scud Runner and thechief86 like this.
  7. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    I've spent a good chunk of time playing in this area, as well as Dickson and Hickman Counties. Middle and East TN are great areas for the KLR.
  8. Canyon Man

Oddometer:
    Yeah Man. Looking to try and get together a ride through the DD again soon. I have only done half of it. I have the whole map. Blew my knee out early spring and just got all healed up...mostly. I have always rode solo out there and that is where I ate it and blew my knee out all by my lonesome. Wasn't a fun ride home. I live just south of Leipers Fork. Want to try run that whole trek with a group. Thinking it would be more better good fun and maybe a little safer. lol Trying to revive the thread https://advrider.com/f/threads/tn-dirt-devil-riders.1015254 and maybe get a gruop ride together soon.
  9. Scud Runner

Scud Runner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the info. I’m compiling a list of places to ride. I’m in eastern NC and will be venturing out through NC, TN, Va area next few riding seasons.
    thechief86 likes this.
  10. Canyon Man

Oddometer:
    No problem. Hit me up before you head this way if you want some company as your passing through. Always looking for someone to ride with. Cheers!
    Scud Runner likes this.
  11. Scud Runner

Scud Runner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Definitely will take you up on that.
    Canyon Man likes this.
  12. Canyon Man

Oddometer:
    patrkbukly and Scud Runner like this.
  13. Scud Runner

Scud Runner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting modification. I’m 5’8” and I know what you’re dealing with. Doubt I would of gotten a KLR if I was just starting out.
  14. Canyon Man

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it’s for sure a heavy bike for someone starting out...(me). I opted this route due to the KLR 650 being a two wheeled tank, it’s crazy easy to work on and modify to suit one’s needs, and it was cheap. Kicking myself some days for not doing this years ago. I’ll get there. Too fun to give up.
    Cabrito and Scud Runner like this.
  15. Scud Runner

Scud Runner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Exactly. I’m hoping the Yamaha tenere 700 shows up state side. Might be my next toy. Or the BMW gs 800
    Canyon Man likes this.
  16. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    This may be advice given too late, or scoffed at by many, but as a guy who started riding on dirtbikes that were way too tall to reach the ground on, you only need one foot on the ground at a time. It's only going to fall one way. I'm about 5'10" or so myself, and have actually lifted my KLR, and kept the seat stock. I'm sure solid footing is confidence-inspiring, so I try not to harp on it too bad, but I do know that knowing you can't reach the ground will force you to up your game in the balance and finesse department, and ultimately make you hone those skills.
    I don't really drop my bike that much anymore, and tend to ride a lot of places on the KLR that most of my friends take smaller bikes.
    My DR350 has a higher seat height than my KLR, and I ride that bike places I can't walk.
    I realize opinions are like buttholes, and advice is worth what you pay for it. I look forward to riding with you sometime.

Gaston Rahier.jpeg
    Gaston approves this message, lol.
    merc16, Canyon Man, Cabrito and 2 others like this.
  17. Cabrito

Cabrito On the mend 76% Supporter

Oddometer:
    I feel you guys being 5'6 so I got the corbin dished seat. It was perfect for me and good for all day riding. I've had to pic up the KLR plenty of times, but not from poor footing. I've had the KLR in a lot of different terrain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I'm on a 1090 and can only get one toe down at a time. No big deal anymore, except that I can't pic this sucker up by myself..

[​IMG]
    nevgriff64, Bigger Al, Slambo and 5 others like this.
  18. Canyon Man

Oddometer:
    That is some sound advice Chief86 and I thank you for it. I didn't lower the seat for off road riding, I lowered it for street/hwy riding. Even though I only lowered my center of gravity 2", it made a noticeable difference in my HWY, street, and curve handling. Nothing huge, but it just feels a little more fitted to my frame now. When I ride in my back field or along our 4 wheeler trails in my back woods (for practice), I make every effort to stand up while riding everywhere I can. There are a few weird ditch transitions that I sit and waddle through, most likely cause I'm a still a noobie and my confidence in stand up riding isn't where I want it yet. As I said before, I will get there...one way or the other. I have dropped this thing a bunch of times, nearly perfected the one man lift with it...lol. Hell, I dropped it in my garage one day just moving it out of my way to get to something else. I purposely got this bike so I wouldn't be afraid to drop it vs. a brand new KTM 1090 or BMW. One day I might graduate to one of those (although I love this KLR more everytime I ride it), but for now it's just getting intimate with the ground, dirt, gravel and water. This bike has been swimming a couple of times two. Every ride I get better at one aspect or the other. I come to this forum for advice so please share it. Look forward to riding with you as well as learning from you. Rode into work today in the cold, only my hands got cold and the bike handled well (pushed her a little hard in a few turns). As soon as my winter gloves get here I am down to get back out there for some longer rides. I intend to ride all year around.
    buckthedog and thechief86 like this.
  19. jonnyutah

jonnyutah less talk , more ride

Oddometer:
  20. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went out yesterday with a pretty diverse group of bikes and riders for a 235-mile "Jeez, the weather's really nice for November!" ride. We had temps in the high 60's-low 70's, even at 7,000 feet elevation. Not typical, but hey, who's complaining? :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]