1. eNewsletter Sign Up

KLR only pics!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by damasovi, Jan 17, 2007.

1. patrkbukly

patrkbukly Life at 10,000 feet Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny, in 1996 I bought a brand new KLR from the Kawasaki dealer in Universal City Texas outside of San Antonio. Strapped bags on that thing and rode it down through Mexico and all over Texas. Thought I was quite the bigshot with my first ever brand new bike as opposed to used. I moved that same year to Miami and rode a 93 R100GS a guy in The Keys was selling and immedeatly sold the KLR (both pictured below).
    [​IMG]
    Recently sold my GSPD and bought the KLR and absolutely love it here in the mountains. They have a similar simplicity as airheads in my opinion. And similar to airheads you can make em what you want. I bought my 2009 for 2500 from an attorney in Breckenridge not running and put 4K into it (so far). Such a capable bike. Planning on Alaska in August next year with some Australian friends., all are welcome.
    [​IMG]
  2. Canyon Man

Canyon Man "60% of the time, it works all of the time"

Oddometer:
    I wish, Alaska sounds epic for sure. Currently planning the whole TAT with an old army buddy of mine in the next year or two, still hashing out details. I bought a 2017 KLR with 900 miles on it...like new condition. I have dropped about $3k into it with mods, farkles, upgrades, etc. I love it. Happy Trails out there.
  3. patrkbukly

Oddometer:
    Thats a great trip. Don't put that off...life is short.
    Canyon Man likes this.
  4. Lzeplin

Lzeplin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They done good, better than expected. As long as we were moving it wasn't bad, the only problem was trying to get pulled back out after stopping. Was out for a ride, and started up the mountain and the snow just kept getting worse, thought we would run out of it and finally done after we crossed the top and started down the other side.
    This was my first time riding in snow and I loved it! My favorite ride this year.
    Canyon Man likes this.
  5. patrkbukly

Oddometer:
    TRUE LOVE
    Old pic but worthy of a post. This was when I was living in Miami in 1997 I think and there was a hurricane coming so I moved all of my precious posessions into my apartment before it made landfall;
    [​IMG]
  6. patrkbukly

Oddometer:
    This was me trying to get skin cancer on a rented KLR in Jaco, Costa Rica in 2004; (I still have the tiny bit of hair but it has moved)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. georgej

georgej Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm deciding between the KLR, XT250 or a Honda 250 Rally.
  8. patrkbukly

Oddometer:
    intended use?
  9. georgej

georgej Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mostly riding two lane country roads to get to seasonal dirt roads, logging roads and forest roads on state land. I'm looking into the 250's mostly for the lighter weight. Unfortunately,I'm not getting any younger.
  10. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    I truly enjoy my xt225 and although the xt250 has only 5 gears, it’s a fantastic gear ratio so it’s not a biggie. It’d be the easiest as far as maintenance and would likely be an even match in performance as the Honda. I haven’t ridden the crf250 series so I can’t speak with authority. I do like my klr but I chicken out when the going gets rough. Too many family members count on me to get hurt again like I did in the past on my DR.
  11. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a Crf250l and I’m on my second KLR. For roads, either paved or graded dirt/gravel I’d probably go for a KLR. However, I’m currently saving up to get a 250, most likely the Rally, because it sure was easy to handle the CRF and picking it up was not a problem. 51 years old here, and if I ever tour on non paved roads by myself or want to ride on rougher terrain, I want to be on the lighter bike. I took an ADV bike training course last year and just killed all the other bigger bikes, and when they dropped their bikes they needed help picking it. No kidding I picked the CRF up once with one hand. And that Honda is a sweet, reliable platform.
    buckthedog, merc16 and patrkbukly like this.
  12. patrkbukly

Oddometer:
    GOSPEL

I love my KLR but since you mention the 250's. I rode my Honda XL250 from San Antonio Texas to Mexico City in 1982 with my girlfriend on the back and $80 cash between us. Lots to be said for 250's.
    One of my best motorcycle trip memories.
    [​IMG]
  13. crash111

crash111 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did a trip in BC with 3 other guys, I was riding a KLR685 (that GWN built) that is on the far right. Had a few impromptu digs with the red and white 2008 KLR. Stomped it soundly in a 0-100k type race. Also had a go with the BMW; in the same type of scenario we were neck and neck. Thought my bike did very well.

[​IMG]IMG_1492 by ed, on Flickr

So I stumbled on this single wheel trailer for a song, thought it would be a great idea. So GWN and I did a trip across prairies and to the Forestry Truck Road in AB.
    Had about 300lbs too much weight on the whole rig so wasn't much fun.

I sold the KLR to a local guy that did a trip down to Central America on it (without the trailer!!) , he got down there and crashed and broke his shoulder. So that was the end of it for him, the bike apparently worked great on the trip, zero troubles.

[​IMG]IMG_1618 by ed, on Flickr

Like WTF was I thinking? Clearly I wasn't! Handled like shit in gravel but I know I had the weight distribution wrong. You'd think I was moving to another country lol.

[​IMG]IMG_1890 by ed, on Flickr
  14. Goodenufnvris

Goodenufnvris Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too have a 685 fully ported motor transplant from GWN and love the added power and lack of vibration. His motor did help reach the 100000 KM milestone which was too exciting to see a fresh odometer after 5 unforgettable yrs of KLR adventure. So fortunate that GWN is so close and willing to share his knowledge and parts. Hope the festive season is good to all and looking forward to the frigid wnter in Canada to end so the adventures can continue IMG_2937.JPG IMG_2939.JPG IMG_2940.JPG
  15. patrkbukly

Oddometer:
    Both of the bikes above look like awesome setups.
    At what mileage did you guys have the 685 kit done may I ask?
  16. crash111

crash111 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my bike I have no idea, was a bit of a frankenzilla put together bike so not sure.
  17. Goodenufnvris

Goodenufnvris Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe GWN got the bike on salvage as it was stolen and the engine was an oil burner. It was a 2008 and was ridden like they stole it, Ha Ha. he did the switch at 9612 KM.
  18. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    Hi Rob... yeah, something like that. And I put what, less than 15,000 kms on it? Reg put a shitload of kilometers on his KLR before selling it. His was the first head I ported too. Interesting to see how it compared power wise to the BMW, eh! It's really satisfying for me to fix 'em up, hop 'em up a little, and see 'em put back in to service - resurrected :thumbup

Merry KLR Xmas everyone.
    pdwestman, jwaller, Dread and 2 others like this.
  19. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    Hey GWN. And everyone else!!! Merry Christmas to the KLR family
  20. F150

F150 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A wet belated 62 degree Christmas from Middle Tennessee to you all. T-mod on tap for tomorrow! crossing2.jpg