KLR only pics!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by damasovi, Jan 17, 2007.

1. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    Got stuck in Alabama yesterday.... 20201008_154338.jpg
    tj., Kawi-Mike, nevgriff64 and 18 others like this.
  2. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ yeah you did! I’ve been stuck in Mississippi for over a decade
    snake89, Canyon Man, merc16 and 2 others like this.
  3. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    Forgot to add...@thechief86 looks like seat height isn't always an issue huh?
    thechief86 likes this.
  4. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    Ha not here it wasn't! I am surprised the front tire didn't sink as well? I only got stuck because the back wheel dug a hole, but the front tire clearly stayed on top of everything?
    I couldn't get it to come out until I pushed it over and dragged it a few feet onto solid ground.
  5. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    I would have considered using the low end torque to speed up the earths rotation, gaining both traction and momentum. But I always have a plan B. May need different tires for that though.

Your momentum likely carried you through, until it didn’t. That and your weight was likely rear biased. Glad you got it out otherwise archaeologists would’ve found a KLR next to a mammoth skeleton and rewritten the books on how Neanderthal hunted.
  6. Shilohii65

Shilohii65 n00b

Oddometer:
    Chris LeDoux song lyrics......great singer/song writer/bronc rider/Cowboy Hall of Fame Member
  7. freeway crash

freeway crash Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just sold it.....got my fingers crossed that the big “Kawasaki reveal” has a new KLR with FI. If so, I’m buying one....I know, a bit risky...

C08C3956-D3D2-4647-89CB-111FAE5C6F98.jpeg
  8. Bipolar

Bipolar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My new to me 2006. Ran when parked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    Welcome board! Looks like you have some work ahead of you, but it's all there. And it "ran until it didn't" could mean anything. Lots of helpful people here.
  10. Bipolar

Bipolar Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I had put an add in the local Kijiji "looking for a project motorcycle". Someone contacted me with this KLR he wanted gone.
    It had previously had a lot of electrical issues which were temporarily resolved by replacing the wiring harness.
    About 6 months later it would blow a fuse when you hit the starter button but it could still be push started.
    It has not run in 2 years so The gas tank and carb need a good cleaning and I will change the oil and get it running
    and then decide what to do with it.
  11. Crosstrekfisher

Crosstrekfisher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You will love this bike. Once fixed, it will not disappoint. I drove a 2011 that I heavily modded before giving it to my son. I miss that bike. Enjoy it.
    buckthedog likes this.
  12. Bipolar

Bipolar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its not my first KLR650 I had a 2008 and still own a 2017 that I bought new. The nice thing about the 2006 is I don't have to worry about dropping or scratching it.
    [​IMG]
  13. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    Cross posted on the main KLR thread, but I sure hope my faded plastics stay like this! Used the ol' boiled linseed earl and mineral spirits with some plastic wax, and some good old-fashioned muscle.

Attached Files:

14. AzMtnThumper

AzMtnThumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks pretty good! I wet sanded most of the plastics for an XR400 years ago with similar results. I've since heard a heat gun on low will bring back some of the shine to bike plastics but haven't tried it.
  15. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    Thank you. It was a good combination of a nice day, and the rare "nothing to do." That shit is like a blue, full, eclipse, supermoon combo for me.

Don't waste your time with a hairdryer, but I've not tried nor own a heat gun. Never had a use for it. The science behind it is that it's supposed to bring the plastics oils to the surface, thus rejuvenating the color. My thought is that if the surface oils have dried out/evaporated with time causing the oxidative layer, and a heat gun is used to draw latent oils to the surface, would that not make the plastic more brittle? You're losing your core oils. Maybe not just with a one time use, maybe it'd take ten thousand times. But it kept me from going to Harbor Freight ;) That and I'm cheap.
  16. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    @AzMtnThumper... I forgot to add, I've also seen a propane torch used. I think it'd work fine, but I'd certainly practice on something else a few times. I've seen several videos on it where it was mentioned that it takes some skill and is easy to go bad on you. Like buffing a car. You don't just have at it like Mongo with the buffing wheel. I did briefly eye my acetylene torch, but thought better of it.
    AzMtnThumper likes this.
  17. 9mm

9mm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea I borrowed this pic from another site. But thought the KLR nuts would enjoy.

Attached Files:

18. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    It's probably fun in the twisties. Sadly, only in America.
  19. Dr. Pinetree

Dr. Pinetree Michael Motorcycle

Oddometer:
    Out looking for Fall Foilage.

KLR_HDR.jpg
  20. Bipolar

Bipolar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2008 KLR that I bought with 24000 kilometres on it.
    I owned it for a couple months and drove it lots before I traded it in for a new 2017 KLR650.
    It never used a drop of oil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]