KLR Run to copper canyon - from PHX

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by freeflow, Apr 22, 2006.

1. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    well well....hola....

4 buddies, 4 KLRs and a bit of time so we headed south of the border to Copper Canyon area in Mexico to see what all the fuss is about :lol3

this was more or less a recon of the area to see it for ourselves...the copper canyon area is a quality biker playground, from mild to wild, your choice....we will return soon.

so here's the deal, me and my childhood buddy (who is now on ADV as Coons44) flew from our homes in Wisconsin out to Cave Creek AZ to get on a few KLRs that are stashed out there at another buddy's place.

so here is the line up, 4 KLRs, one brand new with 200 miles on it....fresh tires and dialed up, off we go...

rolled out after Todd got his work schedule cleared, left Cave Creek about 10:30 am....get south...slabbed down thru Tuscon and over thru Tombstone and Bisbee ...Todd say Hi to YFFs
    [​IMG]
    to cross at Douglas and Agua Prieta...a smoothe crossing point....BTW...one bike was borrowed from Todd brother, so we swithced th etitle to both their names....yup, Todd had to put the entry permit into his name...so one guy gets the permit for 2 bikes and he is instructed that he must ride them both...okey dokey...roger wilco...done:lol3
    pic of the backside of the aduana building at Agua Prieta...it felt good to be back in Mexico...amazing how things instantly change a few feet over the border...both physically and mentally

[​IMG]

we slabbed it down 17 to Moctezuma for the night....nice road
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this new hotel , Chicual's, on the north side of town...a nice place and will get better...nice rooms for $30 for 2...new and clean and good internet access for free too....they let us park the bikes in the restuarant under construction...BTW the owner is a contractor in PHX area, but dual citizen and has a house here too...he offered the 3 bedroom house to us whenever here if the hotel is booked....a good guy...his daughter Judy runs this place...ass crack of dawn pics....(why is it that I have a hard time rolling my lard ass out of bed for work, but I get up with the sun when on a ride?:ear )
    [​IMG]

cold beer a few doors down and comida down a bit too....great place...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

good morning PAtrick, he too is an early riser....I check over the bikes and get em ready for the day..

[​IMG]

from Mocetezuma Sonora we plan to head east towards El Coyote and such...my maps show this road as hwy 21 (page 9 in Guia Rojo map)...but in reality it is Hwy 69 and it leads out of the south end of Moctezuma....a nice ride....

[​IMG]

Todd checks in
    [​IMG]

nice stiff chip seal pavement.....to start out with...reading that crazy dude Gaspipe and crew's reports are inspiring....this road runs to Huachinera and Bavispe...thru El Coyote....the pavement is coming the whole way soo folks..:cry
    [​IMG]

we see what lies ahead...twistys....uh huh
    [​IMG]

we likey...good morning !
    [​IMG]

we run thru Huasabeo (a pemex there BTW) and up to the east...and go past a natural feature called "Las Cruses del Diablo)...cross of the devil)

a natural canyon that from the air I;m sure looks like a big deep slot canyon in a cross....nice stuff....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

on we roll to desayunos (breakfast) in El Coyote
    [​IMG]

morning Mike (coons44)
    [​IMG]
    kitchen shot...nice ladies....a slight diesel fuel odor inside...they rub the floor with it to keep dust down...no problemo....good food...
    [​IMG]

eggs with dried beef and frijoles....and nice torts...and a tecate
    [​IMG]

it's the dry season, I'd like to see water flowing thru this box culvert....
    [​IMG]

about 2 km up the road or so we hang a right onto the route towards Nacori Chico.....BTW the cattle guards get interesting here...the steel runs parallel to your direction of travel anf there is no grate in the center, just open concrete ditch...I reccomend hitting them fast and jumping them where you can....BEWARE
    [​IMG]

a short break...
    [​IMG]

more to come....
  2. freeflow

Oddometer:
    we run it to Bacadehuachui and decide a good ides to top up the tanks since from here on it could get scarce....

up on the SW side of town...we find some...quality too...

[​IMG]

BTW this is the zona centro....
    [​IMG]

turnign east and going up....nice stuff...pics get scarce here...I was focusing...

[​IMG]

the road is in varying condition...some areas of loose softball size rock and some silt holes, but way fun...and animals
    [​IMG]

we rolled thru NAcori Chico and Buenavista...and then took a right turn towards what my maps show as Los Pescados...my plan was to try to get this way to Sahuaripa...then down to 16 and over to Creel...we ran into a rancher ina truck and in my broken spanish, I understood that the road was not possible (I ran into a border patrol earlier and he thought it was passable)....muy muy difficult...and the bridge it out and water is too high...no possible he says....ok, we will find out for ourselves....then after a rutted up 2 track and 5-6 miles later we hit this locked gate...and had to make a decision..WWGD?...what would gaspipe do?:lol3
    [​IMG]

since we were not about to dissassemble our bikes and lift them over the fence piece by piece like LVR and GP would, and studying the map and seeing this is the only way to the south....we ponder.....I hate this in hindsight......but we decided to not waste our time here, we wanted to get to creel, so we backtrack to Moctezuma....:cry

back we go, and then patrick decides to pick up a tiny nail....I had to backtrack another 10 miles when I noticed they were not in my mirror thru the twistys....Todd had a rear tire going soft too...:clap :lol3
    a good spot to change it....and no centerstand needed...scrounge

[​IMG]

patrick holding the compressor...I tell ya, this little 10$ unit that I took out of the plastic box to condense it has really put in some duty and keeps taking the abuse...AND comes in real handy as a part donor as you will see later.
    [​IMG]
  3. MNwilly

MNwilly RIP, my friend...

Oddometer:
    Are you home now, or still down there? Nice trip, once again.

:lurk
  4. freeflow

Oddometer:
    the next morning after a fun night of beer and such in Moctezuma, we set out again....taking a new slab thru Divisadero to Sahuaripa

[​IMG]

reminder about travel at night...this is very common...
    [​IMG]

the road is good and as you will see a major bridge construction is under way, thus no traffic on this...BUT...folks, this is a good route and very easy....I would do it in a loaded GS no problem LT probaly not until the bridge is open......FYI, this is signed as Hwy 117...and guia rojo maps are way off on it....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the road turns into loose pebbles from recent chip seal...and then a detour into the river bottom around the bridge abutments for about 3-4 miles...

[​IMG]

some silt...and nice ride...rainy season may be a different story
    [​IMG]

minor VERY minor water crossings....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

then we got back up on the main road for a spell and come to another major bridge construction...
    [​IMG]

looking good

[​IMG]

making this area the sierra trail,, toursits are coming
    [​IMG]

people boating and playing on the river

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PAtrick likes it ...nice views
    [​IMG]

coming over the rise to a herd of cows...
    [​IMG]

coming into Sahuaripa....el cemetario turn off ...I admire the dignity and respect the Mexcian culture gives to the ancestors
    [​IMG]

we pull into Tacaoputeo for a lunch call...
    [​IMG]
    a good place...
    huevos con chorizo con frijoles...
    [​IMG]

PAtrick decides to show Todd his six pack abs....:lol3 ...you guys, this smells of brokeback moment....:lol3
    [​IMG]

afetr we eat, Mike finds what is left of good ole Midnight...yummy
    [​IMG]

and Todd decides that his tire should go flat here...a leaking patched tube....ok let;s get on it...
    [​IMG]

BTW...a pair of nitrile gloves are a treat when chaning a tire out....he is a doctor afterall...
    [​IMG]
    this was around Guisamopa...a nice area...with a small dam..
    [​IMG]

these guys are tough alright....tough smelling....beef jerky time

[​IMG]

this road comes out on Hwy 16....west of Santa Rosa about 5 miles or so

HWY 16 is a great twisty road...and the pine smells are great too...

[​IMG]

nice twisty lawless road:D
    [​IMG]

more to follow...
  5. freeflow

Oddometer:
    hey willy...I am back at home...got back midnight wednesday...

it was great....the stories get good
  6. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Fantastic. Please keep it coming.
  7. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Hey Jeff, I was wondering if you were back yet, I thought we might have to send out the ADVrider search party for ya. Pics are looking good so far!

Now get back to posting pics ya slacker :D
  8. freeflow

Oddometer:
    Mike is getting into the goove and is a happy boy
    [​IMG]

fresh pavement especially laid down for us east of Yecora..
    [​IMG]

we were screwing the pooch too much and wouldn;t make Creel by sundown even try to take the 23 cutoff to San Juanito....so we bedded down in Baseachic....most places booked up...
    [​IMG]

anyway the room is decent enough...holiday priced at 900 pesos for 4:huh

the door is low though...LOL:lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

so somehow Mike misplaced the only key for his borrowed KLR...no sweat , we will deal with it of find it in the morning....lets have a beer and some chow.....the key never showed itself (until months later :augie)...

for the locking gas cap, snap the back plastic off to get at the hinge screws, then we can refill the tank....and I cut the switch and some wire off of my compressor thing and spliced that into the ignition pigtail, violla!...good to go!...:lol3 ...velcroed the switch to the top of the instrument cluster (see the toggle at the top) and we are back in business....20 minute job, next time 5 minutes
    [​IMG]

we stopped by the Baseachic Falls....had to take a peek, some of my BASE jumper buddies, have been here to flick...and El Gigante....I will returno:deal

we were the specatcle at the falls...many folks took our picture and we had the kiddies sitting ont he bikes....beeping the horn and such....they loved it...

the falls in the shadows in the morning and low flow
    [​IMG]

easy day to Creel, kicking back a bit...Todd and I plan to return and know we can do PHX to Creel in one day....it wasn;t working out this time, but no problemo.....
    [​IMG]

at the turnoff, 16 to 23 to Creel...Todd and I
    [​IMG]

blowing a kiss thinking of my gal, Shelly back home...:wave :rabia

[​IMG]

Mike works a trade with a Creel local kid...we had a tecate
    [​IMG]

the dog even think Mike stinks..I was slow with the camera I guess...
    [​IMG]

we check into a hotel....nice and clean....Ezeikeil at the Seirra Azul...nice place....just S of the zone centro in Creel....holiday rate $40 for 2....
    [​IMG]

then 3 of us decided to run to Divisadero overlook to see this canyon people talk about....now there is one more photos of this spot here on ADV...:lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

tourist trapping....respect to the Tarahumara Indian ladies....weathered life...selling trinkets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the road from Creel to Divisadero is GREAT twisty pavement as many of you know....it is a must do.....street bikes easily....matter of fact this whole route so far would be fun on a GS and Vstrom type bikes...:deal
  9. freeflow

Oddometer:
    we stop at the local shop back in Creel to see what they have.....we could use a spare tube and thought we would try our luck, no dice, but close.....
    [​IMG]

some pistachios and grapes por favor....
    [​IMG]

cat on a hot tin roof:lol3

[​IMG]

tonight is beer and tequila night...for tomorrow we hit Batopilas

in the morning 3 of us plan to run to Batopilas to check it out....and return to Creel to meet back up with PAtrick...so I leave my saddle bags and we head out...hit the Pemex...My maxxiss C6006 is holding up well...I like it....but am wondering if it will make it home...
    [​IMG]

HWY 23 south of creel is amazingly great....a fun morning wake up ride
    [​IMG]

be free
    [​IMG]

sacred chappel of the asses:lol3
    [​IMG]

this is overlooking Basihuare...a nice spot...a good low base jumps...:evil

[​IMG]
    alot of pics I know...but worth it
    better lgiht needed for photo, but I cannot wait :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike (coons44)
    [​IMG]

Dr Todd
    [​IMG]

and yours truely....FYYFF
    [​IMG]

at the turnoff to head down to Batopilas, we run into this guy on a F650GS just coming up from Batopilas...say hello to Mauricio, he works in Juarez and lives in Chihuahua and is looking to hook up with other riders....
    [​IMG]

so it's about 10 am local time, we figure let;s run down to BAtopilas for lunch and get back to Creel...it is Easter Sunday....and I am making my peace my own way...let's roll
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ahh yes,,,this is what I came here for....bring it
    [​IMG]

can you say switchbacks?...:clap
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS: Cavebiker, you and your sportster...well I declare you are insane..final answer.:lol3 ...this road is nice, it;s the exposure that can creep into your mind, iffin you let it...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the bridge to La Bufa
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

cross the river and up to La Bufa
    [​IMG]

we stopped in La Bufa for a break...Mike's sidestand decised to snap off as he is getting off his steed slammign him to the ground....we get some sticks and prop the bike up.....another item to repair:lol3
    [​IMG]

more cmoing yet, belive it or not....shutter bug
  10. freeflow

Oddometer:
    karpal tunnel here we come...:lol3

cheers Chad....
  11. Bimble

Bimble In giro in moto

Oddometer:
    Great photos Freeflow, it looks like a blast! I like how you guys have the KLRs kitted out... very simple and clean.

:thumb
  12. freeflow

Oddometer:
    this canyon is magical...and serves up a big slice of humility
    [​IMG]

I can't help but wonder what those horse trails are like....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we finally arrive.....we rode aroudn town a little bit....we all felt a wierd vibe int eh air....Easter Sunday...and there was alot of beer flowing....the drivers seemed angry we were there....we checked out the scene and then went to MArgarita's place for lunch...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lunch was a fine dining experience....when we rolled in, they were hawking for our business...business is slow here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

but dayum...the meal was excellent...with wine..squash soup...and cantelope and watermellen desert....all for $10 a person
    [​IMG]

good thing I don;t read spanish:lol3 ...I had to go in to get a rock to bring home to my gal...
    [​IMG]
  13. freeflow

Oddometer:
    we head back to Creel...Batopilas for lunch, what a nice ride...:clap
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this one flowering purple tree...intersting...we didn;t see any others...how did it get here>?
    [​IMG]

I had an intersting exchange with a calf trying to out run me which in turn spooked the rest of the herd and suddenlty I had frantic cows runnign erratically around me on a steep loose dirt downgrade...yahoo!...my favorite!....sorry I didn;t get a pic...I am a wus I know....the goats were skittish too....and nimble....cool stuff

back to La Bufa...BTW there is a lathe and some mechanical stuff there...no welder....:lol3

[​IMG]

heading back up and out...not much messing around just riding...and loving it..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

we just kept blasting our way out....and tooka break when we reached pavement...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

from Batopilas to the turn off here we made it in 2 hours....with breaks it was 3 hours from BAto to Creel FWIW....locals told us it would take 10 hours roundtrip....but they never know....the BUs from Creel is 6.5 hours we are told...and one scary ride....

Mike was bushed, but a solid trooper that rose to the challenge........:lol3

[​IMG]

he had taken a little beating and ankle was bnb....but nothing that some more tequile couldn;t fix right mike?:ear
    [​IMG]

and blew th eend off thei Supertrapp....this is the second one this bike has junked...this pipe has under 4,000 miles on it and the aluminum is cracking at the bolts...there were check every morning and loctited..steel bolts into aluminum and a thumper is not the right mix IMO
    [​IMG]

the morining yeilds find a fix it so we can stop propping mike;s bike up with 2 sticks when we stop..so we find this and I wake up the mechanico,,Hernando...this is on the north side of the bridge in Creel on the main drag BTW
    [​IMG]

we scrounge a piece of pipe to slide over the broken sidestand and then tack it in place...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

he had smashed the lens in his welding helmet so he used a small piece and did the one eye trick...
    a quality repair that is fitting for a KLR

[​IMG]

and wired in the guts of the supertrapp....I;ve seen the guts blow out once before, not again:lol3
    [​IMG]

then off we roll...heading north, time to go home damnit, didn;t leave enough time, but used what we had available...we decide to take 18 north thru Geurrero...it is 4 lane this far and new)...then stop for breakfast
    Gerardo's...2 thumbs up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

suck in your gut Todd:lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

slabbin it near Temosachic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

fresh oil and a 30 mph cross wind...another of my favorites :clap :lol3
    [​IMG]

heading up a bit near Gomez Farias...about 7,000 feet...nice area

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

since we are not in a hurry to get back in the States, we stop in Neuvo Casa Grande....oh boy...more to follow
  14. k7

k7 Almost retired....tick..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    Great report.... I like this shot:

[​IMG]

I think I've been there also... great road 'eh?

[​IMG]
  15. Juice Box

Juice Box Got Ink?

Oddometer:
    Nice Report, Awesome Pic. Thanks for sharing.:clap :clap
  16. freeflow

Oddometer:
    a cold one was in order....so we hung out

[​IMG]

then we turned ont he ropute to Casa Grande...and saw this side car rig and sign
    [​IMG]

say hello to "tansito"...he is a bike lover indeed wiht some cool stuff....he loves bikes..he compared women to bikes..." bikes do not get jealous of riding other bikes...and the older they get the classier they get"
    [​IMG]

his place is on the south side of Neuvo Casa Grande...east of the jail...he has tools and some stuff and is willing to help anyone...
    we spy an old Rokon 2WD bike...he found it in Monterry....he had some great old photos of it being used in the desert and he liked that he can fill the wheels with water for desert runs
    [​IMG]

one pull and it fired right up
    [​IMG]

custom sidecar with original leather asddlebags on this honda....still runs and he loves it
    [​IMG]

a late 1960s Vespa
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

he told us of a Kawa dealer there so we went to find it for kicks...
    they don;t have much...we still wanted another spare tube, but none there...
    [​IMG]
    but we did see this KLR tore down...been there for 8 months....they are stumped...it is a fialed doohickey....I pulled the info on it for them fromt he internet....they did say they saw a broken spring....the counterbalancer is all effed up....made them copies of the clymer pages and moved on.....the owner of this KLR owns a hotel up the street just north of the zona centro....I stopped by to chat with him too....
    [​IMG]

we checked in and kicked back ...an easy day...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the next day we slab it back into the states...
    [​IMG]
    .we rolled thru Janos and decided to cross into New Mexico at Palerma to visit Todd's brother South of Deming....
    morning shadows
    [​IMG]

the border...a very easy crossing....Columbus NM/Palerma mexico
    [​IMG]

todd's bro has a nice litle piece of the desert....a good launch point for future
    [​IMG]

Mike rides the moto sculpture
    [​IMG]

we blast it towards Cave Creek...on 70 thru Globe...
    [​IMG]
    .in Safford an oncoming pickup truck with a flatbed trailer behind it blows a rear tire and is jacknifing right towards us...:eek1 ...we gun it and get around as he reagined control the other way and missed us all....spicy...

run hard and fast and back to the shed...
    [​IMG]

stop for a beer at the Hideway....and mix the dirty KLRs with the choppers
    [​IMG]

before we even sit down, one of the bartenders snags Todd for a check up...
    [​IMG]

KLR serviced and put into the slumber awaiting our return...it was 1,997 miles round trip....
    [​IMG]

in closing, thsi was a simple run to check out Copper Canyon area....we can get there faster and know more of the area and different routes...next run we will press thru the gated area and find some better routes to get there.....there are many taht have yet to be disclosed here on ADV...

cheers to all, life is good....Jeff

Remember: Life is not for getting, it is for giving

F&*(), SH*&, I'm OUT !

I'm not like that anymore.....:lol3

thanks amigos....:freaky
  17. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Great pictures Freeflow. Looks like you had fun.:clap
  18. Hootowl

Hootowl Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Ooooph! They have BAJAJ!!!!!!

Great pics Freeflow, you guys had a great ride. Good stuff, that Bacadehuachi/Nacori Chico area, yes?

:clap
  20. Drifting Fate

Drifting Fate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic!!!!!

I need to find riding buds like these - quite the adventure, and a good group to support everyone at the same time.

Why do I read these kind of threads and then get an itch for a KLR every time?