KLR stock bars, and acerbis handguards - Input needed. :)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by max.headroom, Jul 14, 2006.

1. max.headroom

max.headroom That "Retro" Digital, Ummmm ..... Dude.

Oddometer:
    Greetings everyone .....

First, I have an 06 KLR650. I just purchased, and received a par of Acerbis Rally Pro handguards. The left handguard (Clutch) went on licky split.

The right one (throttle, no duh) is not. Well, it did go on easy, but the throttle sticks.

More info:
    The diameter of the hole on the left bar, was big, and I needed to use the tube implant that came with the handguards. Again, no big deal, and it was easy.
    The diameter of the hole on the right bar, is small. Only the size of the actual bolt for the handguards. I made the assumption, that you would just screw the bolt into that hole (plastic), that while screwing it in, it would thread the plastic hole (which it did) and life would be good.

Needless to say, the right side guard went on easy. But that's when I found out that the throttle sticks. Upon further investigation, I realized that the whole inside tube turns when you apply gas. Like there's no bearing system, to allow the throttle to turn freely, while still holding something - I.E. the handguard bolt, in place.

So even if I bored out the hole on the right bar, and inserted the tube implant, and then put the guard on, the throttle would still stick.

So .... what am I doing wrong with the right side bar / handguard?

If anyone has any input or suggestions, I would most definitely love to hear em. :D

Mucho thanks, and take it easy everyone ....... :1drink
  2. 2track Jones

2track Jones Ad agusta per agusta

Oddometer:
    I have installed the pro ralley guards on my 2001 KLR with stock bars. this is the method I used.
    Remove throttle from bar, drill hole just large enough to clear anchor bolt through the end of the grip and hard plastic throttle tube, carefully trim the grip rubber back so it just clears the bolt base, install anchor bolt through the hole you drilled, thread anchor nut onto bolt then reassemble the throttle and install onto handle bar, snug bolt but do not tighten completely untill you have installed the other end where you want it located then tighten the bolt to desired tightness.
    I'm sure there are other ways to do this but this worked for me.
    Regards, 2track Jones
  3. max.headroom

Oddometer:
    Do you have a pic, by any chance, that you could post of your right bar?

And thanks for the info! :D
  4. max.headroom

Oddometer:
    Dudes .... thanks. :D

Yeah ... did the same thing, and all Fini .... :clap

Mucho thanks, and take it easy.

Greg.
  5. max.headroom

Oddometer:
    Her she is ...... :D

Attached Files:

6. OKRider

OKRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just put the Acerbis Rally Pro handguards on my 2005 KLR (stock bars) today. Holy crap, that right handguard was a PITA to fit without making an inadvertent cruise control!

But I DID get it done. This thread was helpful -- thanks!
  7. MrPickle

MrPickle NP Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I put them on my 1100GS, and had to stack two of those Acerbis ATV mount spacer things to get them past my brake reservior...WTF?

:confused
  8. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    I ended up cutting a section from the right guard with a Dremel to clear the m/c on my KLR. Wasn't too crazy about the fit on either my stock bars or my ProTaper ATV's, dissapointing wind protection, and the right "eyebrow" snapped off on the first getoff. But damn they look good.
  9. chip

chip Follow Me

Oddometer:
    I did the same thing. But instead of asking questions and doing it right I ended up ruining my hot grips, ruining my throttle, and still stuck with a sticky throttle. Needless to say I'm not the most mechanically inclined. However I have purchased new pro taper bars, new motion pro throttle, new grips with heated grips, the whole nine yards. Here's my question. On the Happy trail websit they sell a push cable, a pull cable, and then a throttle cable. Do I need all 3?
  10. intheways

intheways Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's probably how I should have done it. I just cut away the rubber grip and then opened the whole wide enough to put a round file into. Then I filed away the plastic until it worked. Thankfully KLR parts can be got fairly cheap, if I fvcked something up.
  11. Booga

Booga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Th rubber needs to go, but I found out that I had to adjust the cables afterwards to get it right.
  12. monkeytrick

monkeytrick good ride good times

Oddometer:
    i'm in the midst of installing the rally guards too. on the throttle side, i'm still having "stick" issues, mainly when the handlebar is turned to the right. when handlebar is facing straight or left, the throttle snaps back like normal.

when installing, i trimmed away the rubber grip end, and drilled out the plastic to allow the hardware to fit inside the throttle end.

i'm baffled.
  13. Hondo

Hondo **********

Oddometer:
    In order for my throttle tube to rotae freely when I installed ne grips I had to sand the inside end of the tube a bit with a fine sanding drum on my dremel.
  14. kakashi

kakashi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have similar issues. Just ordered Acerbis Rally II guards, and have questions about the Throttle side.

1. What is the washer that slides over the anchor bolt for? Should it sit against the right face of plastic throttle end cap, or should it sit inside the throttle?

2. Is it OK for the handleguard clamps to pinch the cables? I'm having a tough time stuffing all my cables through.