KLR250 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bad Company, May 10, 2008.

1. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, its a 94, the plastics are a teal color. I mostly use the bike for commuting now, but it still gets used for occasional off-road/dirt road riding. I rarely ride above 55 or 60 mph for long, mostly 45 mph roads, but sometimes I will take it on the highway at 70 if need be. As far as maintenance I just make sure to keep clean oil in it, oil changes every 2k. The stock seat has a coleman atv seat cover available at some walmarts or online at amazon with a 1 inch thick piece of additional foam under that. If I do take it on a long ride which I have done several times in the past I put the airhawk on it.
  2. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Airhawk looks like some thing I need. Thabks for the post 94. Also have to figure out what damaged my cam and why the timing chain gets loose and the valves get tight.
  3. laylow3down

laylow3down dirt bike mike

Oddometer:

I just had to change out my voltage regulator for my light dimming to no lights at all and the tach stop working... I did the test on the regulator in the KLR 600 base manual..it failed two of the tests... I replaced it yesterday and tested all the voltages and everything is fine.. I also did a resistance test on the stator to make sure that was in spec...
  4. newcastleadam

newcastleadam Artful Tagger

Oddometer:
    Pulled my baby KLR out of storage, getting it back on the road. On my list:
    • Replace EBC clutch springs and maybe friction discs with eBay used ones (EBC springs are too short, making clutch pull...tiring)
    • Replace torn carb diaphragm
    • Replace instrument cluster to get intact needles (toothpicks and superglue only work so long). Talking with one guy who had a KLR650 gen1 on his, going to give that a whirl
    • Replace left switch gear
    • Ricochet skid plate
    • IMS folding shift peg
    • Modify KLR650 gen 1 luggage rack to fit
    • Ride it like I stole it
    Cheers,
  5. newcastleadam

Oddometer:
    Yes, 90-05 cams have a different profile and 5 HP loss. The KLR250 and Mojave ATV share cams, Cycle Works Racing has several performance Mojave cams that will work.
  6. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had to check that out, but . . . that's what the KLR250 supplemental service manual says!

I'm surprised that modest cam timing changes (extended duration and overlap) yields five more horsepower, but . . . it's in black and white!
    Also WebCam has (or had) KLR250 grinds, IIRC.
  7. newcastleadam

Oddometer:
    More info on the cam differences:

Camshaft:
    Cam height
    Inlet
    35.532 - 35.648 mm (US)(CN)(EU : '89 and earlier)(AS : '88 and earlier)
    35.119 - 35.175 mm (EU : '90 and later)(AS : '89 and later)
    Exhaust
    35.649 - 35.765 mm (US)(CN)(EU : '89 and earlier)(AS : '88 and earlier)
    35.119 - 35. 175 mm (EU : '90 and later)(AS : '89 and later)

Valve Timing:
    Inlet Open
    41 BTDC (85-89)
    31 BTDC (90-05)
    Inlet Close
    51 ABDC (85-89)
    53 ABDC (90-05)
    Inlet Duration
    272 (85-89)
    264 (90-05)

Exhaust Open
    70 BBDC (85-89)
    57 BBDC (90-05)
    Exhaust Close
    30 ATDC (85-89)
    27 ATDC (90-05)
    Exhaust Duration
    280 (85-89)
    264 (90-05)

Cheers,
  8. newcastleadam

Oddometer:
    Want to throw this out to the group.

Took my 250 out of storage and having hard starting woes and once started dies when choke is applied. OK, classic case of dirty carb. Pull it, clean, same deal. Thought the choke plastic nut was ganked so got an aluminium Stead Engineering nut. And cleaned the carb again. Same deal. OK, found another carb body and same behavior. Dunked a carb in a bucket of cleaner for 2 days, same deal. Also tried another choke cable, but not 100% convinced it wasn't a KLR650 cable.

Checked spark and valve clearances, all fine.

I'm convinced it's related to the choke mechanism, either my cable and/or plunger is not working correctly. So.... thoughts/feels?

Thanks
  9. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    You didn't mention if fuel is flowing through the tap. Assuming it is...
    Open the drain screw on the carb bowl. Fuel should pour out constantly. If not then your float or fuel fliter or fuel tap are NG.

When I bought my KLR250 it had sat for a long time. The choke (actually a fuel enrichment circuit) was inoperative. Prior to replacing the carb I tried soaking it in carb cleaner. When that didn't work I took it to the shop and they used chemicals and an ultrasonic cleaning device. They told me it was a solid obstruction in the enrichment circuit.

I replaced the carb and all was good.

Since then I learned two things:

1) The black plastic nut that holds the "choke" cable in was cracked and likely allowing air in. That would keep the fuel from flowing, i.e. I was starting without enrichment.

2) Pine Sol is the best carb cleaner I have ever used! My next bike had these same issues. Soaking the carb and its parts in PS solved it.

I cannot recall if there are seals on the enrichment plunger. If so, make sure they're good.
  10. tom c

tom c Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just bought a 2006 KLX250 from a fellow inmate, bike is in great shape, 6500 miles, pretty much stock. I'd like to get some kind of a small top box on the stock luggage rack if possible - what have others done for this? Thanks!
    [​IMG]
  11. newcastleadam

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, there is fuel flowing (always good to double check). Fresh gas even.
    Have a carb body soaking in Pine Sol, see how that goes.

No seals on the plunger, swapped out for supposedly good choke cap.

It is definitely acting like a choke circuit problem, even after several several cleanings with hardcore cleaner, normal spray, probes, and compressed air. But the passages are so small...

Thanks again for the reply.
  12. DangerousJohnson

DangerousJohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A couple years ago I had an extremely recalcitrant carb issue. Bike ran fine all summer. I went to the west coast for a month and forgot to drain the carb before I left. After I returned I couldn't get the bike started in spite of hours of heroic kicking.

Tried cleaning with spray carb cleaner and canned air a several times. No good. Tried soaking in Pinesol twice. Nothing. So I got a Keyster carb rebuild kit off eBay for around $30 and that solved the problem. Those jets are just really small and the usual methods don't always work to clean them. Maybe ultrasonic cleaning could have done it... I don't know. But for the hours of headaches you may be able to save, $30 isn't bad.
  13. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:

Damn fine looking bike you've got there!
    tom c likes this.
  14. newcastleadam

Oddometer:
    Jets are fine, no blockages. Fairly certain from the behavior that the choke circuit that a passage is blocked; going to see if the magic of Pine Sol will heal all.

Thanks!
  15. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Watch the full strength PineSol on your hands...I was "shedding" for a week after using it.
  16. tom c

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Its a great little bike. I'm finding that the seat is a bit hard....:D
    Funny thing - yesterday I rode the KLX to work, I noticed that much of time as I am accelerating to speed I'm close to full throttle. Today, same ride, but on my 1050 Tiger - I doubt that I use more than 20% of the throttle! Both bikes fun to ride, just in a different manner. Sometimes its more fun to ride a slow bike fast.....
  17. tom c

Oddometer:
    Looks like you need one of these:
    [​IMG]
  18. newcastleadam

Oddometer:
    Finally got around to dealing with my frozen clutch. Ended up pulling the cover to also replace the EBC heavy duty clutch springs I put in 2000 miles ago, made the pull way too hard. Not Honda SOHC hard, but still too hard for a dual sport. So she shifts and clutches like a kitten, choke still doesn't work though. Small price to pay really :-)
  19. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recently added a LED bar light to my klr. I bought it off of ebay for half the price that it sells for from an inmate in the vendors section. It's a china made LED, but for the price it actually seems like a decent light.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360999869860?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It only uses 25 watts so right around 2 amps. I have a volt meter just above my dash and when I turn the light on it only drops about 0.5 of a volt. The light output is awesome on a dark road as frequently leave work at 5 am.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I remember I'll try to get some shots of it in the dark, but as most of us know LED lights simply blow away incandescent bulbs. I'm very happy with the results of adding this light. I also wired it in with a relay that I already had for my voltmeter so it's only powered when the key is on.
    JTLoneWolf likes this.
  20. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A warm KLR650 engine at idle will die when the choke is applied; same might be true for a KL250.

If so, you may have a non-problem.