KLR250 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bad Company, May 10, 2008.

1. CliffElam

CliffElam OldN00b

Oddometer:
    My speedo registers a higher speed but is dead nuts accurate on distance. I used gaiagps to match it all up.

Honestly, I don't much care about the speed. On the road, i'm either going slower than traffic or the speed of traffic. I guess I could beat a golf cart.:-)

In the dirt, well, sand, I don't use the speedo to judge what I should do, I use the seat of my pants.

YMMV, of course.
    Hannda and laylow3down like this.
  2. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had an old instrument cluster with a speedometer that was moving really slow and lagging. I ended up pulling the speedometer unit out of the cluster and sprayed liberal amounts of wd40 to the underside of the gears and drive mechanism while spinning the speedometer unit with a old cable and drill. After doing that it started to free up worked great. The speedo uses a magnet sort of dished cup to drive the needle with a coil return spring so any stiffness will make the needle lag and hang up.
    laylow3down likes this.
  3. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bad grounding, I think, more likely affects the tachometer than the speedometer. Lost 12 V + DC on my KLR 250 after a close encounter with a deer; tachometer went crazy; speedometer remained true.
  4. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya I can’t remember anything right anymore, just ask my girlfriend.
  5. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, the speedometer is mechanically driven via the cable off the front wheel. No electrical or grounds for the speedometer. The tachometer on the other hand is electric and low voltage as in a weak battery or a loose ground will cause the tachometer to read low.
    laylow3down likes this.
  6. laylow3down

laylow3down dirt bike mike

Oddometer:
    honestly I had not.. I actually like the stock gauge cluster.. one of the reasons I decided on buying another one..
  7. laylow3down

laylow3down dirt bike mike

Oddometer:
    the speedo cable looks to be good 1st thing I checked... I gonna try to get to the malfunctioning one apart this weekend..

yea... me too.. but still.. it is there and at least it should work like it did when it came to from the factory.. that's all I want..

yep.. you have probably dismantled every part on these Klr 250's haven't you..

good info.. I found that out taking the new used one apart.. had to break out my dremel for that one... the needle sits at angle and there is a cup over a magnet.. I saw the spring you where referring to.. I'm trying to transfer my odometer wheel over or at the least fix my old one.. stay tuned.....
  8. javaman

javaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone found the fix of camshaft issue?

[​IMG]
  9. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Please refresh, javaman!

Of which camshaft issue do you speak?
  10. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. nails1

nails1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Care to move to New Mexico before you do?
  12. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would gladly ship to a good home. My budy says don’t sell it it’s an icon around here. We have 11 bikes now I want to cut back to a sport touring bike a 701 and 300.
  13. nails1

nails1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a beater that wants a KDX fork and ... well, you know the drill. (I do -- copying you.)
    Y'all in the midwest and eastern mtns seem to have 250 KLRs like mosquitoes, but out here they're more like unicorns.
    Please shoot me a PM when you figure out your end. I'll likely have to go to Ohio soon -- but not sure about a trailer. Shipping seems damn pricey.
    Thx.
  14. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have klx forks on mine. If you are looking for KDX forks I few sets, cover my cost of shipping.
  15. nails1

nails1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get the two mixed up.

I'm still building my garage/shop and haven't done a thing with my KLR. I'm sorely challenged to get the damn garage built before the snow flies. I mean, besides finishing things like a roof and walls, I still need to build the lift table. (But I do have the concrete ready with floor bolts in a recess.)

Let me sort this out better and PM you in the next couple days. Please. :thumb

Edit: Okay, I looked at this, and the KLX forks sound best.

"The Kawasaki KLX250 is a quiet, friendly, inviting bike that you can spend hours riding at a casual pace. ... the suspension is plush ... The bike is well over 300 pounds with fuel, and the suspension is very soft. Kawasaki did give the bike a moderately sophisticated fork with adjustable compression damping, but it’s still no racer."

I'll have other suspension questions as I get into this. I suspect you already answered all of them in previous posts. Like stiffer springs -- I'm about 200lbs with gear, and I'll have camping crap.

I'm planning to use my KLR for touring on stuff like BDR, probably with lots of unavoidable pavement. I'll be poking along solo, not trying to kill myself solo. Right now, it doesn't even run ... but I think it will with a new needle valve and petcock. (The biggest asset is that it's hideously ugly so I don't have to worry quite so much about security.)

I haven't wanted to talk much because that's just talk. Maybe by Spring I'll have something to actually report.

But it's an '85. I'm sure I could get there sooner with your bike.
    greasyfatman likes this.
  16. mtnbkr250

mtnbkr250 n00b

Oddometer:
    When
    greasyfatman likes this.
  17. mtnbkr250

mtnbkr250 n00b

Oddometer:
    Did you lose lights too. There is a wire harness clip(two of them) on the right hand side under the fairing. Mine come loose and my tachometer goes haywire, lights won’t work Turn signals go haywire. The wire harness clips are very loose and come apart. I had to zip tie mine together and now all is working well.
  18. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rolled Lucky sevens this morning on the way to work.

IMG_20200929_051525038.jpg
    Just_Loaf_It, Stubanger, Mogy and 3 others like this.