KLR250 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bad Company, May 10, 2008.

1. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some play is normal with that style of front sprocket securing.
  2. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey which KLX front end is that? I just picked up one of these bikes and the front end could use some work anyhow so maybe I can find an upgrade. Would be curious to know how you fitted the headlight and cowl and gauges and such on there. I think my cowling is just held on with some zip ties right now, for some reason.

I'll try to get some of my own photos but here's what I saw in the ad before I picked this thing up today:

[​IMG]

It's rough, but it ran enough to go down the street and back, through the gears. The front end even got a little light. 13k miles or so from what the odometer reads. Hopefully that works. The guy I got it from said he'd had it for the past 20 years and that it had been rebuilt. The way he described the parts that were replaced, it made it sound like it jumped time or something to that effect. I just tried to see for myself. No noises that I picked up on, but the front brake is completely inoperable, so I'm thinking to rebuild that. I'll keep an eye out for something like a KLX250 front end though.

The choke lever is missing and I couldn't get the thing to start once I got it home by just pulling on the cable. Actually it was one of those classic scenarios where I couldn't get the thing to fire up but the seller had no issue. It didn't want to idle, though, so I know I gotta get in there and work with the carb at least. The petcock leaks and the tank needs cleaned as well. Definitely gotta adjust the valves. The tires are pretty well done. There's other issues but those are the pressing ones that I've noticed.

One of the first things I gotta do is get some stuff out of my shed. I'm out of workspace.
    A Seabee likes this.
  4. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats the best color they made, thats the color of the 94 barbie bike.
    My forks are from a 90s KLX I needed a different tapered roller bearing and thrust washer. I cut the KLR triple and bolted it to the klx triple with angle iron bracket at the bottom gave me a little more room for the head light ballast and kept the light angle correct. I can’t log onto KLR650. Net details had been captured there.

your not far from me I was out in Monterey today. There are some good places to ride where you are and south in Cookeville.

check your carb boot between the box and the carb they shrink a good bit and that will kill a motor. I have some spare parts post up as you go through it. This thread was starting to die, could use a huild refresh for new life.
    assquatch20 likes this.
  5. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for the info. What about the boot that goes from the carb to the head? Should I get that as well?
  6. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn’t have to replace mine take a close look at it. Don’t think they go bad. But that carb to air box shrinks and gets hard and won’t seal.
    assquatch20 likes this.
  7. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll give it a look. It just looks like the part is discontinued from the looks of it so I'm thinking I should maybe grab a spare while they're still floating around. I'll get an airbox boot as well.

One of my first obvious issues is the petcock. It seems to be labeled upside-down for some reason and with the lever turned downwards it just leaks out of the valve somewhere. A new petcock seems pretty expensive but the parts to rebuild are fairly cheap. I've never had to fool with them much but I'm wondering if it's worth trying to rebuild. Anybody have any experience with these?

Gonna try to get some pictures today.
  8. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So in general from a few feet off it doesn't look awful but it has issues. Below you can see there's no battery and the filter doesn't look quite right. I think there's supposed to be a snorkel there. The bolt that holds the tank down looks to be snapped off as well.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if this is even the factory petcock. Anybody know? It seems to be kinda upside down and as mentioned before, it leaks when turned downwards. Not sure if I should try a knockoff or buy factory or rebuild. And then do I just buy the individual parts or try a kit?

[​IMG]

Tail light lens is cracked. License plate holder thingy is too. Judging from the plate this thing has been relegated to farm duty or trails only for awhile now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The kick lever hits the bolt that holds the peg bracket on if you go too far. Not sure if it's just bent or if it shouldn't be going that far. You can kinda see where it rubs here:

[​IMG]

And the kickstand has a lot of lateral play, such that it tucks in too much to really use with your heel while you're on the bike. Heck it's hard to get it down with your toe off the bike, even. It rides up against the chain guard. You can stand the bike at varying angles though. I don't think that's quite stock.

[​IMG]

Just from rolling it around in the yard I think the odometer works, but I don't think the trip meter does. You can see here the gas cap has seen better days but the tumbler is strangely fine. It's a little rusty in there but the tank looks alright from outside. No dents I've noticed. So it's a bit weathered and beat up but whoever rode it managed to keep the tank and plastics mostly intact somehow.

[​IMG]

So that's just some of the issues I've noticed. I'd start a thread but not sure if it would be better to post here for now or what. Any input on these issues with the bike would be greatly appreciated.
  9. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, KLR250s were indeed used by US armed forces!

Then . . . so were KLR650s!

Finally, DIESEL KLRs were developed, manufactured, and used for a brief while.

AFAIK, surplus models of all three versions made it to the general public. In some cases, military KLRs (not sure which models) were donated to local police departments by the Department of Defense; some of these may have been disposed of by auction when not considered useful.

A cool video shows Marines training on KLRs; Camp Pendleton, I think; don't have the link, myself. I think maybe an episode of the, "R. Lee Ermey" military show once featured KLRs.
    assquatch20 likes this.
  10. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually saw one of those Hayes diesel KLR's for sale a few months back online somewhere. I believe you're thinking of R. Lee Ermey, though.
  11. XDragRacer

Oddometer:
    Indeed I was; thanks! Original post edited.
  12. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rebuilt the stock petcock on the KLR250 I had, very easy. I can't say whether yours has the stock unit still, too long ago.
    assquatch20 likes this.
  13. enumclaw

enumclaw I just....don't know

Oddometer:
    Looks like the stock petcock to me, though the cover (labels) is indeed upside down. That part is simple enough to turn around at least. :lol3 It kind of looks like to me that the gasket behind it is a homemade job, but can't say for sure from here. Take it off the tank, take it apart and see what you have. I would imagine it's at the very least gummed up inside. Should be able to find a reasonably priced aftermarket if necessary. For example: https://www.amazon.com/Shutoff-Switch-Petcock-Assembly-Kawasaki/dp/B07MKB51KK Not endorsing that one necessarily, just an example.

Edit to add, this may be useful also:

I also have a wiggly side stand, and the same rub marks on the starter lever. Try tightening up the stand, see if that helps. I haven't been able to change the kick lever deal, I just try not to kick it all the way. Doesn't always work...

On another note, anybody have a spare front signal, or a good suggestion for such?
    assquatch20 likes this.
  14. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It does look homemade, the gasket. I appreciate the video!

It's a shame they discontinued the KLR Jr. The market has no lack of options but a 250 DS/ADV blend from Kawi would've been cool. They'd have to go with EFI now, though, and who knows if they'd wanna keep a kickstarter.
  15. XDragRacer

Oddometer:
  16. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    The KLX sort of trumps the KLR in every way. Now introducing a 400cc ninja motor to the KLX is on my want list. Also a KDX 300 would be prime.
  17. nails1

nails1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't tuned in here in a while. My shop construction is delayed (I hurt myself), and so my KLR 250 project is delayed.

But I have to reply to the above ... with a geezer story. So, listen up, young-uns.

I was at Pendleton in '78 -- one of the grunt's "few good men", a Corpsman. I was stationed on base and bought my only new vehicle ever, an SP370. This time was between Dr. Hurt's famous study and before any MSF; so, I got "MSF" training (to get the bike on base) before there was an MSF. I suppose it isn't too early to take an update.

I often rode off limits. Once, I came on a whole fucking column that passed where I quickly hid -- if busted, they'd confiscate my BRIGHT RED bike, if not put a dumbass squid in the brig. Once, I looked out of my sleeping bag at a dawn practice beach assault -- time to go! A 20+ mile "oh shit" sprint.

I got some practice at Pendleton, evading grunts and getting the fuck outta there pronto. Just saying it's a great place to ride. Best stay heads-up, tho.
  18. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    My IDC was great “Mighty Mouse.” Asked once when we had been awake for 30 hours “ hay man you want something to keep you awake” and when I said yes he squeezed bulbed a little tear gas irritant in my face. I rolled on the ground for min hacking and he asks “ you awake?”
  19. nails1

nails1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sheesh, more grunt than the jar-heads.

I had a grunt roommate. As a favor, I put in his med record an allergy to CS gas. It didn't work -- and didn't take much time to figure that out.
  20. XDragRacer

Oddometer: