1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Klr2tdf

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Doogle, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Doogle

Doogle Do it while you can Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am 2 miles from a truck company.The same as the trucker that brought me here.They have been closed for the holidays but open today at 9am.If the bike can run that far,I will be there at 9am.If it won't run that far,I'll remove the chain and push it there.

I plan to go to Dakar Motos.And I may be calling you Hache.Thanks for the PM.

Doug
  2. Doogle

Oddometer:
    This morning I would go to the Cruz Del Sur truck terminal and get my bike shipped to Buenos Aires.I put my last liter of oil in the bike and headed off for a 2 1/2 mile 15 MPH cruise.And hope the tranny or engine doesn't lock up before I get there.Well I got there fine.The office guy looks at the bike and says $250.But it can't go the way it is.It needs to be crated.What?I decide to go back to the gas station and try my luck there again.Half way back,I see 6-7 trucks at what looks like an inspection building.One is an empty flatbed truck.I talked to one of the drivers.He said I should go to Cruz Del Sur.I explained I had.Him and another trucker talk for a while.Then call someone on the phone.He tells me to go to Cruz Del Sur again.I said my bike will lock up on me soon.I can't keep going back and forth.He told me he talked to Eduardo,the boss there,and everything would be OK.
    When I went back and talked to Eduardo,he took me back to the first office guy I talked to.But all was good this time.They told me they needed a copy of the title and passport and $250.I left the bike in the parking lot.
    [​IMG]

They called me a taxi.I went in to el centro and withdrew more money.Then the taxi took me to the bus station.I thought about taking the over night 10 hour 450 mile trip.But then decided I didn't want to wait there 10 more hours. I should get to some terminal in Buenos Aires about 10:45 pm.The bike will get there sometime on Friday.Hopefully tomorrow I can find where the bike will be delivered and where I need to take it for the flight to the USA.The bus ride couldn't be any more boring at night.It looks to be as flat as Kansas.Wish I had a plan for sleeping tonight.Maybe there is still some more adventure out there waiting for me.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I got to Buenos Aires about midnight.There was a wreck on the 2 lane road we traveled that stopped us for about an hour.I asked the taxi dispatcher at the bus terminal to get me a cab.I needed a ride to a hotel.He said it was several blocks to a hotel and I could walk.I walked 4-5 blocks and didn't see anything.I asked a man closing a shop where a hotel was.He said there is nothing around here and that it is unsafe for me here.I flagged a taxi and asked him to take me to a hotel.He made several right turns and stopped-pointing to Hotel Ariel.In the several blocks I rode with him,we passed the bus terminal and the place that he picked me up.I didn't mind.He got me to a hotel.He could have taken me for a lot more.He waited to be sure I got a room.He even came in to the first locked metal door and talked to the intercom receptionist to help me.I'm in for $21 and happy.I go to my cell about 1 am and crash.The 2 beds are tile frames with a mattress laying on it.Bars on the window even though I'm on the 3rd floor.I slept in the bed under a window because it was hot.In the morning I realize there was a fan I could have used.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the morning I walked 4-5 blocks and got a bus towards the ocean and Dakar Motos.Where I got off it was a 3 mile walk.Nobody was there.But the man with a shop next door called them.Sandra said she would be there in 15 minutes.They got there and she took charge of my problems.She called and found my bike was delivered a day early.But I couldn't move it to the airport till Monday.And probably ship on Tuesday.

I am staying at Dakar Motos shop/hostel for $10 a night.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Doogle

Oddometer:
    Mark,they remember you here.Your right,Sandra is very efficient.It's nice to have someone carry the burdens for a while.
  4. Doogle

Oddometer:
    Hache,I'm at Dakar Motos now.I wanted to call you last night.But it was too late by the time I got here.And I have been running a lot today.Do you know where Dakar is?
  5. Dr. Benny

Dr. Benny Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer:
    I'm jealous of all your misadventures. What a great ride, Doug!

Is my inflatable sheep "Bahhhhhhbara" still up above the sink in Dakar Motos? :lol3
  6. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    It was when I was there in December, but all the mosquitoes have deflated it. :lol3 Fuck that place had more mosquitoes than the bayous of south Louisiana. :eek1

i doubt they remember me. However, Doogle, if you remember, tell Sandra that I (Vince on the KTM) still very much appreciates the Christmas Eve dinner a couple of months ago with the whole family. They are top notch people in my book. Tell both Javier and Sandra that I said hello.

The dutch girl that was there was nice too, but her pit hair needed a little trimming.
  7. Doogle

Oddometer:
    Benny,the sheep made a get away.Lucky for it.Was its wool pure?Or had it been around the pasture a few times?......New update on the sheep.It was watching over me as I slept.8' away and I didn't see it.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Vince,there aren't many mosquitoes here now.And no mosquito coils.Unless you count the pit hair on the girl from Holland.I try to imagine how my wife would look with them features.

Well Rosemary just woke up.Yes the same pit hair that you saw.She remembers you and Christmas dinner.And says thanks again for the maps you gave her.And that she bought the '83 Yamaha Tenere.She is flying home today and coming back in December for more. "Don't read this Gayle." Did she walk around in her underpants while you were here?Makes it tough to consentrateeeeeejnnn.

Rosemary, fully clothed here.
    [​IMG]
  8. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:

Yup she sure did. :lol3 Wow Rosemarie is still there? That must be some kind of record, 3 months at Dakar Motos. :eek1 Tell her I said hi.

Glad the mosquitoes left for you. :D
  9. Doogle

Oddometer:
    She just got here yesterday-for the 3rd time.She's been in Uruguay and Argentina.She came back here to fly out and pickup things she left here.She says hi and thanks again for your help.]

10. Doogle

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I took the train and bus into town.I went to the Recoleta Cemetery.It is where the rich and famous are buried.Eva Peron is buried here.I didn't know it till some one asked me where her grave was.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I took a bus to the Oblisco .

[​IMG]

I think this is the widest road in the world.I read that somewhere.This picture does not show the whole road.There are more lanes outside the lines of trees.

There were some interesting buildings there.And there is always a big cathedral to see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I went to San Termo.It is a huge open market.This market runs down one street about a half mile.And it goes up a few side streets a little bit.

[​IMG]

And finally I went to La Boca.It was where the Italian dock workers lived.It was a rough area that has been cleaned up and turned into a very touristy spot.As I walked through,a girl was trying to get me to eat at their restaurant.I said maybe after I looked around a while.It was 5:40 and she said they closed at 6pm.I asked why they close so early.She said it is dangerous in the evening.Well,see ya later baby.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today was bike to the airport day.A van picked me up at Dakar motos and took me to the Cruz Del Sur terminal a half hour away.We found the bike and loaded it into the van.Then we took it to the airport-half hour further.We unloaded it and i paid him $80 for his 2 hours of service.Next I pushed the bike into the cargo terminal and onto a pallet that was adapted for the bike.I had to remove everything that is not bike related.What ever that means.A new USA requirement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I have to carry all my clothes,coats,sleeping bag,tent,helmet,and sweaters with me.I bought a big bag to carry all this stuff in.But it wasn't big enough.I decided to use my tail bag,since I removed it to lower the overall height and cost to ship.But now I will be traveling with my tank bag/back pack,a big luggage bag,and a big heavy tail bag.When I left the airport,I decided to get a taxi rather than fight with this stuff by taking a bus-subway-then train back to Dakar Motos.
  11. Dr. Benny

Dr. Benny Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer:
    What a pain in the ass! Have fun in your last days in Latin America! Looking forward to seeing you at ALARR IV :deal
  12. Doogle

Oddometer:
    I think today is my last night in South America.I should leave on LAN flight 2604 at 8:45 am.14 hours with an hour stop in Lima,Peru.The flight cost $695.The bike cost $1510 to fly to Cincinnati-near home.I will pick it up in 3-4 weeks when I return from California.
    Sandra at Dakar Motos set up everything for the shipping.Her fee was $100.You could probably do what she did to save money.But I think she was worth every penny.

</pre>
  13. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    That's not bad for air freight at all. Considering it cost close to $1,000 just from Panama to Colombia. Plus you save all the hassle of dealing with the crooked cops and border crossing madness in Mexico and C.A. Could ship my own bike in for an Ayres Adventure trip and about break even with the cost of renting one of his GS800's. I'd have a lot more fun on my Ninefiddy.
    [​IMG]
  14. ninjaboy

ninjaboy Ol' man down the road ...

Oddometer:
    Doogle,
    After notary and copy shop we walked to your hostel. You had left. We walked back to our hostel and was told someone stopped by and asked for us. We did not find your note on the bike until a couple hours later.

Dean Tanji
    dtanji@gmail.com
  15. Doogle

Oddometer:
    I rode around town looking for you for a while.Then I went back to your hostel and waited a while.Sorry I missed you.Did you ship your bikes home?Hope you found some better rates for crating them.I sent mine to Cincinnati by air from Buenos Aires.It arrived there this morning.I flew from BA to Lima.Had an hour between planes then flew to LA. 2 hours after clearing immigrations I was on a bus to El Centro. 4:30 am I was in my own bed.It was a great travel day.

16. Doogle

Oddometer:
    I have been home for 2 weeks now.2 days ago I went to the doctor because my foot wasn't getting better.He sent me to a podiatrist.He said my third metatarsal was broken.So I'm guessing you get what you pay for.And that free xray I got in Argentina was worth exactly what I paid.Nothing.Now I get to wear this big foot brace for the next month.