KLR650 no longer imported in.. Europe?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CaffeineRampage, Mar 22, 2006.

1. CaffeineRampage

CaffeineRampage b00n

Oddometer:
    I was having a look at Kawasaki Spain web site and I noticed the KLR650 was missing in the online "catalog". Ok, I know how well things work in Spain. So I go to Kawasaki UK and its missing there too.

So I emailed UK asking what was going on, and if it impacted availability of the bike, and they promptly answered back, saying it was no longer imported into the UK due to EU laws regarding noise and emissions.

Hows that for a first post full of love. :dog
  2. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Same with the DR 650 SE. Still available in USA, not in Europe. I bought about the last one in The Netherlands, and that was in 1997. They kept selling them in France, Spain and Germany for a few years, then discontinued that bike all together.

Pity I think, nice bike for the money. :2cry
  3. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    From checking Autotrader in the UK, the latest KLR I can see is an early 2003 registered bike, but I can see a 2005 DR650 for sale at the Motorcycle Centre in Orrell :dunno Wonder where they get their stock from, as Suzuki GB don't show it.

Just sent an email to Suzuki GB and Kawasaki UK, asking why they don't import it, and show the price for either in Australia, NZ and the USA are all around €4700 - should make a good option in the EU market to the more expensive BMW, Yamaha, Aprilia and KTM options, I would've thought :dunno
  4. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    Reply from Howard Dale at Kawasaki UK:

Wonder what that implies? :evil
  5. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Maybe a KLE650 is on the way?
  6. Spode

Spode Malcontent

Oddometer:
    That's too bad, but on the bright side, you guys get the XT660 which we can only dream about:

[​IMG]
  7. Ride_There

Ride_There Will ride for bacon.

Oddometer:
    :tb
  8. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I was looking at buying my KLR650, and I wished the XT 660 :tb was available, I would have bought it in a heartbeat!
  9. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    I wish they'd routed the exhaust better though, for off-road use. :dunno

I'm semi-expecting a KLE650 using the ER-6f parallel-twin engine - it has 72bhp in that state of tune, so maybe a little less for DS use and the Er-6f is quoted at 178kg (392lb) so similar weight to the F650GS :dunno
  10. Knave

Knave Less than ideal Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think they had to stop importing the KLR as the EU recently passed more stringent rules about crimes against humanity.:lol3
  11. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Hey, hey. Enough of that. There'll be no picking on the fat kid in this classroom. Let's quiet down. Rampy, you may continue with your book report.
  12. Bubba Satori

Bubba Satori Finding my way home

Oddometer:
    Maybe they're the sump guards.:lol3
  13. Cauldron

Cauldron Now in DESMODROMIC!

Oddometer:
    The KLR 650 has been here for 20 years now. This may be the writing on the wall for U.S. sales in the next year or two.

I like the 650 ninja... But I hope that if Kawasaki makes a KLE 650 to compete with Suziki, that they make a more off-road capable bike than the v-strom.

I know that the KLR isn't a dirtbike, and the v-strom does okay off of the pavement, It's just that I would just like to see a 650 twin from Kawasaki that does as least as well off-road as the KLR does.
  14. Komet

Komet The Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    Very nice looking bike!
  15. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    That's the 'X' supermoto version. Here's the XT660R DS:

[​IMG]
  16. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great engine and looks cool, but heavy and soft, more like an F650. For once I think we have it better than europe, at least in the DS segment.

17. mr openroad

mr openroad Target Fixated

Oddometer:
    that's exactly what I would like to see:1drinkif they build it I will buy it!!!!!!!
  18. kdxkawboy

kdxkawboy Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer:
    As long as they can make a twin that is no heavier than the current KLR I'd consider it. Otherwise, I figure stick with the current frame and geometery. Give us modern, adjustable suspension. Also give the engine a serious update that includes a six speed box. Add snail adjusters for the drive chain, claw foot pegs I think you have a winner.
  19. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I love the looks of the X, but not the R, pipes under the engine are just wrong on a dirtbike. My bro has ridden a 660X & reckons it is pretty uninspiring compared with my KTM. He was apalled that it wouldn't wheelie off the throttle in 1st.

Cheers
    Clint
  20. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:

I think they're made more for people who like dual sport style bikes for urban riding (and I mean the R as well as the X). There seems to be a lot more market for that in Europe, where single cylinder streetbikes actually sell. I like thumper streetbikes so that's cool, but I don't care much for soft heavy psuedo dual sports. I think I'd rather just have the MZ Bhagira/black panther that has that engine, and get a 21" wheel for the front. Despite the 17's they came with, I think they were probably better dual sport bikes than either of the Yamaha versions.