KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Love the recent posts and ideas. The Odyssey of the Doo Wrench is totally solid. Fully 100% in. I would suggest that it not be tucked into some saddle bag, hidden and dark. But, I would humbly submit that it be bungied to the cross bar or dash. Loud and proud baby. Out there. In the wind.

Just a Short offering of an Ode to the Crate.

My earlier thought about the milk crate was simply to highlight that no matter what year KLR you google for images...you will find many with that functional item proudly strapped to the ass end.
    It is the Givi for the working man’s bike.
    It is the saddlebag for the modern rough rider.
    The leather jump seat of the two wheeled UJM Rolls.

But it does indeed lend itself to a great latitude of personal interpretation...not unlike the bike we all celebrate and ride. Some crates are simply found relics from someone’s junk pile. Some are not so innocently recovered from other places. Others are finely welded examples of extrusion metallurgy goodness. And some are simply hanging on. All are ready for hire, and mine is especially good at holding brown paper bags with assortments of bottles and smoked meats. But also bags full of requested household items, yes, sometimes those items.

But most of all, the crate is simple, unapologetic, functional, tough as hell, ready for a ride at any time day or not, and never bitches, fusses, or complains. Kinda like I want to be some day.

Salut the crate.
  2. rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder redemption gypsy

Oddometer:

Your a good sport Scout

:lol3..i would be finding it awkward picking up "household items" for the hen here... My mind quickly fast forwards to an off on a dirt short cut that i "just had to take"... and the said items deployed out onto ...and over the trail.... :fpalm
    thechief86 and scout68 like this.
  3. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's what the bungee net is for. :deal
    PlowHand likes this.
  4. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    He meant sanitary napkins :rolleyes: haha
    I wish I still had my crate with the Touratech sticker on it. That crap was hilarious. I even rocked that on my beemer for a few days at Barber Vintage this year...
  5. PlowHand

PlowHand Ancient, ugly and happy :-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sport a milk crate for two main reasons, 1) it makes my KLR as functional as a pickup truck (which is what I mostly use my KLR for), and 2) I love “stirring the pot” with non KLR riders that love to make fun of the KLR. It’s kind of an “in your face” statement of the fact that I could care little of your thoughts on my ride - or my gear preferences. :-)

CBDA89C7-D242-43B7-818B-62930A332982.jpeg
  6. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1. You could not have picked a better background accent piece. Is there anything more like a KLR than a freaking tank

2. Perfect illustration of earlier comments regarding variation of design....I see your crate is equipped with the “unplanned content ejection nullification system.” And if you need an extra bungee or four, no problem. Check.

That pic probably just sealed it for me. I gotta find a 2001 or so and rebuild in Steampunk Tank. To match the tank of course, not your very nice Gen 2.
    Bigger Al, wheresbaoskee and PlowHand like this.
  7. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    I finally ordered a 320mm front rotor for my 06 KLR yesterday.
    I've wanted one forever, but they were always on backorder if I had the money,
    so I'd spend my money on something else. I had already done the braided hose
    upgrade after my crash in July, so I should finally get to reap the benefits of that
    as well.
    @scout68, go ahead and get yerself a 1st gen. I had a 2008, and although it was
    nice, it didn't give me the warm fuzzies like my '06 does. The minimal plastics make
    it feel so much more rugged, and I don't worry so much about dropping it, so I'm
    more likely to take it down the path less traveled. For me, that's the purpose of a KLR
    anyway. Take me to the cool places for cheap, even if the cool places aren't accessible
    by paved roads :cool: Oh, and don't forget it has to haul all my shit, too, haha!
    Bigger Al and PlowHand like this.
  8. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    The gun barrel even matches stock 1st-gen handguards. Kinda droopy.
    PlowHand and thechief86 like this.
  9. Goodenufnvris

Goodenufnvris Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Season Greetings all You KLR Riders. Here's an early present from FortNine up here in Canada. Awesome Channel for those of you that don't know already.Graphic Violence Warning. A KLR was harmed in the making of this video. Enjoy
    MRH650, RickyBilly, Argentian and 5 others like this.
  10. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    YUP , one of a couple sets , some with Grip Studs as in your pic ,

[​IMG]
    petew and PlowHand like this.
  11. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I was just about to post that. Good video. Nearly brought tears to my eyes. I just don't like his assessment of the 2008 upgrade.

"The cheapest thing on a KLR is the rider"
  12. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    I picked up on the aircraft drop tanks! I'm ex Airforce, eh, used to play with that stuff... not that I'd pass up on a good deal on that tank.

Can't help but notice the matching color on that milk crate - perfect!
    PlowHand likes this.
  13. sasho

sasho Dual Personality

Oddometer:
    I don't need to do the doo at this time, but I'd request it just for the photo op.
    ZachM1, Bigger Al and GreatWhiteNorth like this.
  14. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Darn straight. That's the right attitude :nod
    ZachM1 likes this.
  15. BtoV

BtoV FNG

Oddometer:
    I thought I would post an end result picture of straightening the frame, everything looks pretty good and will double check with the wheels back in the frame.

klr in.jpg
    Almost went too far. The pointer runs through the headstock bearings and the line is center line of the rear tire.
  16. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Looking good! How'd you twist it straight?
  17. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    I'm betting on a long bar thru the head stock with a strong guy on each end to twist it straight :dunno
    With a little luck there is some metal memory involved.
    xrmattaz and GreatWhiteNorth like this.
  18. BtoV

BtoV FNG

Oddometer:
    I machined a bar to fit the headstock fairly close and used an extension on the top to gain leverage. I'm embarrassed to show exactly how I did it but used a 1 ton come along to bend the frame. It took every bit that come along would do along with about 3 feet of lever in order to bend it, the frame is pretty damned tough to move.
    I would hate to run into the "two strong guys" that could tweak the frame
  19. PlowHand

PlowHand Ancient, ugly and happy :-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    @GreatWhiteNorth - Yes I noticed those tanks as well. I put a lot of JP5 in them while in the Navy! :pynd
    GreatWhiteNorth likes this.
  20. Slambo

Slambo B-52 RN

Oddometer:
    I can take it from East Tn to middle Tn then hand off to Chief or Scout...is there a proposed timeframe for this relay adventure?

Slambo

scout68 and thechief86 like this.