KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the Ricochet bash plate and just mounted it with strips of inner-tube between the frame and plate to reduce the amount of noise. The bash plate tends to collect mud which will also damp vibrations. (Foam might be lighter.)

I suspect any of them will function pretty well.
  2. Bell driver

Bell driver Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Ricochet skid plate on my XR650L and a JNS on the KLR.
    If JNS made a skid plate for the XR, I would buy it. :freaky
    JNS Engineering, 9Realms and jwaller like this.
  3. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the HT skid plate and I bought it solely because of its water pump protection.
    IMG_8026.JPG
  4. Dr. Pinetree

Dr. Pinetree Michael Motorcycle

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I'm happy with the Ricochet. You do have to remove it to adjust the 'doo, however... but it works for me.
    jwaller likes this.
  5. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used a grinder to make a semi-circle notch in the side of the Ricochet. Makes the doo adjust much easier. Don't need to take much off to get perfect access.
    jwaller and sanders446 like this.
  6. sanders446

sanders446 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the HT, too. Are you sure yours is steel? I thought they were aluminum.

The other day I was bombing down an abandoned road that had washouts and baby head rocks. I knocked the hell out of the skidplate so bad that the bike jolted and almost threw me off, the sound made me sick to my stomach, I was sure I had just destroyed the case. Pulled over and expected to see leaking oil everywhere but there was hardly even a dent in the plate. I was surprised it could take a hit like that. That was a good day!
    thechief86, jwaller and scout68 like this.
  7. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know for sure that the HT skid plate is compatible with Tusk crash bars? Seems y’all are happy with it and I’m happy with the asking price. I saw a video of an install and it looked like the guy had to remove engine brackets the Tusk bars are connected to. Maybe something different. I’m not sure. I’m sure the ricochet plate is compatible. But being able to get to the doohickey without loosening the skid plate would also be nice. My keychain already has a bottle opener, so no points to HT for that feature. Seems like I can’t lose whichever I choose. Just need to get on it before someone else spends my money on something else.
    thechief86 likes this.
  8. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    The HT skid plate mounts just below the the engine mounts.
    IMG_8027.JPG
    thechief86 and jwaller like this.
  9. yleecoyote23

yleecoyote23 n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes it is compatible with the Tusk bars....great skidplate!!
  10. IJustWantMyZBack

IJustWantMyZBack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking for the collectives input.

Been trying to sell a gen 2 OEM tank priced at $100 on the classifieds. Am I just off the mark on price or is it just that soft a market?

I mean I know it's not as hard to come by as '15+ radiator/fan... That was enough of a pain that I set an alert for a spare.
  11. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is a question for you and this is not about oil. It is regarding oil consumption. I have a 13' with 35K and it is consuming more oil than I am comfortable with. I know the 685 will solve this and I will likely go that route. What is considered average as opposed to excessive for a gen 2 with the amount of miles I have. I know a great number of variables exist, what do you think?

Best regards,
  12. GregDavidL

GregDavidL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much is it using and how fast are you going?

From my son and my limited experience in general, it really is RPM related. If we keep our 2015s at or below 5,000 RPM (70 +/-) they don't seem to use very much.

On our recent trip out west, about 2,800 miles, between the 2 bikes we only used about 2/3 of a quart in total.
    scout68, ZachM1 and PlowHand like this.
  13. sanders446

sanders446 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FWIW it's just one of those things that could be gone in a day or take months to sell. It needs the right person at the right time. It might help to offer it for sale on CL or something more local because shipping a KLR tank can't be cheap. Good luck!
    IJustWantMyZBack and ZachM1 like this.
  14. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pollack,

I don’t know the answer to your question because I’ve got some variables floating around in my brain....
    I know you’ve got some serious miles/experience behind you, but a couple quick questions...

Ditto to gregdavid.....avg rpms when on pavement ?

How much oil are talking about and on what interval?

I won’t ask what oil you use , cause, we both know what might happen......

And have you rejetted to richer ?

Ride safe
    sanders446 likes this.
  15. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I usually ride between 4,200 - 4,700 rpms and that is with a 17 cs. After this last oil change I am keeping records of the consumption. This is more of a rhetorical question, should the rpms matter? I know they do, but should they? At least not till over 5K, they should not be any issue. When yours starts drinking the oil you will understand.

Best regards,
  16. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    JNS Skid plate is my choice. Recessed mount holes makes all the difference and shows JNS has actually ridden offroad before... Then again, if you are just running down dirt roads and the like, it probably doesn't matter. In any case I'd highly recommend a low profile drain bolt regardless. www.eaglemike.com carries those...
  17. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have an 09
    I had a JNS skid plate mounted with Givi bars. I have switched to Tusk bars and now can't figure how to mount the skid plate. Anyone have suggestion other than emailing JNS?
  18. JNS Engineering

JNS Engineering Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You need the OEM front mounting "wings." Finding a used set shouldn't be too hard. If you can't find any I offer heavy duty front mounts that will solve your problem.

gpfan, scout68, ZachM1 and 3 others like this.
  19. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use the 'wings' (JNS version) on my Gen1. Makes for a much easier mount compared to Gen1 method. Any used Gen2 wing will also work as pointed out.
    Bell driver and JNS Engineering like this.
  20. KLR - Ken

KLR - Ken Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Guy's
    Just checking in on where we're at with the "doohickey tamer” relay?
    Did it cross the "Border" into Canada??
    Just wondering as the day's are starting to get a bit shorter here in the North....
    Cheers!
    gpfan and scout68 like this.