KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Appears to be in northern Oregon. https://www.usdualsports.com/klr-doohickey-tamer-relay/
    KLR - Ken and Kampfire like this.
  2. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool
    I'll just order from you again.
    Thanks!
    JNS Engineering likes this.
  3. Bobk0

Bobk0 MacGyver Minded.

Oddometer:
    Hello KLRists, I decided to pick up a 2016 KLR to have a drink of the green kool aid before it goes extinct for this model. Love the thing so far. The problem is, some dummy dropped it on both sides at least once. I took all the fairings off and now I have work to do :baldy.....

Most all of the fairing/panel stays are bent slightly and the radiator. Little did I know what a nightmare it might be to find a 2016ish radiator.

Has anyone with the 2.5gen KLR used an aftermarket radiator which fit and worked well? I am at a loss after browsing for hours. Sure as hell not paying 800$ for the OEM one. I mean REALLY 800$?

Any advice always appreciated.
  4. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    Myler's may be able to straighten your radiator for a reasonable price. https://www.motorcycleradiators.com/
  5. Bobk0

Bobk0 MacGyver Minded.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip, it looks like they do miracle work, I may consider. I think it is definitely salvageable, not currently leaking, but I can see dried coolant where it had. The bend is in a bad spot where the bottom seam is, maybe they could pull it out and weld if needed.

PART_1568944672595_20190918_190544.jpg

I figured with the cult following of the KLR, surely there would be aftermarket ones.....how weird. I can get two for my DR-Z for like nothing.
  6. IJustWantMyZBack

IJustWantMyZBack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If the repair fails let me know. I snagged a spare radiator and radiator fan for my 2015 awhile back.
    GregDavidL and Bobk0 like this.
  7. JohnnieK

JohnnieK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some of the local guys have used the cheap Chinese imports with great success. Look on www.aliexpress.com. I just searched for KLR radiator and found dozens.
    Bobk0 and merc16 like this.
  8. laurient

laurient Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMGP0069.JPG

After nearly a month the second hand " used " from the US crash bars , Air hawk seat and ebay clamp style cruise control are on with a surprise water pump rebuild on the way .
    It was interesting making my own spacers and cutting , bending , welding and painting but at 1/2 price total was worth it .
    SteelB12 and jwaller like this.
  9. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Within a few weeks of getting my 2018, I holed my radiator and was shocked to see the price of the 2013+ radiator. I was about to buy one of the pre-2013 Chinese radiators and fans and was just going to make it work. I took the radiator core to an auto radiator shop and they straightened it out and patched up the hole for around $50. If you can find an auto radiator shop, they can probably hook you up like that too.

Yeah, I immediately ordered crash bars after that fiasco. Funny thing is, now that I’ve got those bars, I haven’t tipped over......... yet.
  10. Bobk0

Bobk0 MacGyver Minded.

Oddometer:
    Roger that, thanks for the inputs. I bought the bike knowing it had been dropped, just wished I had researched more. :hung

I think the plan will be to try and fix the stock one, and then order a chinese one to have in case I want it. Damn IT Kawasaki. Anyhow, the next step is gonna be to replace the slightly bent headlight fairing stay, and the coolant tank stay (these are slightly bent as well) and then repair a few cracks in the rare ass Camo fairing panels, mask and repaint over the scratches left by the previous owner if possible to maintain the camo, then use matte clearcoat to protect the rare allusive camo pattern.Then; Thermo bob+ crash bars+ jet kit. Just sucks having to spend repair money on a bike I didn't drop..that a dealer sold me.....but oh well, I signed the contract. :deal

How about the Tusk crash bars? anyone?

SW Motech look nice too, but look like more weight. I will however go after the SW skid plate. good design.

Also for tires mybe 30/70 use? 70% highway, TKC80, or T63? or any other opinions appreciated. I have run Kenda K270's on my DR-Z for a long time and those are great, but the DRZ is also lighter.
  11. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Tusk crash bars. I can’t speak to their durability but they seem like they are robust and they appear to provide good coverage. Haven’t wrecked since getting them. Then there’s pretty good testimony a few pages back about dirtracks crash bars. I think the dirtracks would be an easier install.
    Bobk0 likes this.
  12. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m LOVING my Dirtracks wrap around crash bars.
    IMG_7879.JPG
    Bobk0 and SteelB12 like this.
  13. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tsotsie's '08 approaches 100,000 miles!

On a seasonal ride, Tsotsie sends this image from southern Wyoming:

[​IMG]

Here's his odometer; speedometer replaced at 6,500 miles under warranty, he'll reach a true 100,000 miles today:

[​IMG]

He ESCAPED "Imelda's" tremendous rainfall flooding his home area (Houston vicinity); reckon he's where he wants to be; a better place at this time!
    Tsotsie, Bobk0, jwaller and 4 others like this.
  14. IJustWantMyZBack

Oddometer:
    Plus two on the dirt racks bars. Both my dad and I run then on our '15 KLRs and they held up well to our TAT mishaps. Their saddle bag racks did well too.
    Bobk0, BigFatAl and GregDavidL like this.
  15. IJustWantMyZBack

Oddometer:
    I am open to selling you my spare 15+ radiator and fan if interested at cost plus s/h. Already had them boxed up in case I need to drop ship them.
  16. laurient

laurient Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Before i bought my bars i made a radiator protection bar out of 12mm bar and 6mm plate
    gave me peace of mind .

IMGP0048 copy 2.JPG
    Bobk0 likes this.
  17. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    Tusk bars work. Wish they made them for collarbones
    IMAG2050.jpg IMAG2020.jpg
    Bobk0 and PlowHand like this.
  18. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    My '09 came with SW Motech crash bars. I didn't like them, and tossed them when I found a cracked weld. I seem to be in the minority, but I much prefer the Happy Trails PD Nerf bar and their OSR side racks. They've been tested strong (personally!), and are much less obtrusive than the other ones that get mentioned.
    Bobk0, sanders446 and Argentian like this.
  19. merc16

merc16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ended up ordering the Ricochet skid plate from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC because I knew it would come to me in time for a trip to an off-road Park tomorrow. But now it looks like weather will keep me from riding this weekend after all. IMG_1462.JPG IMG_1461.JPG
    SteelB12 likes this.