1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't dream of tampering with your belief system, BobkO! Your interpretation of, "KLR" appears more colorful than the factory version:

K = Kawasaki
    L = 4-Stroke
    R = Road Use (principally). "X" would be used as the third initial for a bike more of the dirt persuasion.

Then . . . as Shakespeare wrote, "What's in a name?"

:lol2
    Hannda, Bobk0, scout68 and 2 others like this.
  2. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tour with a vest only. Heated grips too, but on my body only he Gerbing vest. Toured in 25-35degree weather for very long distances. It is all about heating your core. If your core is warm, your body will not restrict blood flow to your extremeties and they will stay fine. I won’t say warm, but not uncomfortably cold and fully operational. The gerbing gets really toasty in front and back and that keeps everything going.

Maybe you need a jacket because you are a Texan. I’m from Texas too, though I’ve been up north for quite a while now. 50 degrees used tobe cold to me, but I don’t even use heated gear until it gets below 50 now. Just layers.
  3. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have heated grips, heated jacket liner and when it gets really cold I toss on the Hippo Hands. This combo allowed me to ride with relatively thin leather gloves when it was 8°F out.
  4. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    I tend to avoid temps much below freezing for the simple fear of losing control on ice.
    As for gear, I have some cheapo ebay heated grips and a very well insulated waterprooof riding jacket, and some insulated overalls. The most effective thing I've found for cold weather riding above all is a fleece balaclava called Turtle Fur. That thing is amazing, and a necessity for me for ANY riding below 50 degrees these days.
    I wear wool socks with my Forma adventure boots, and have been fine with this combination down to -8°F, when I have found myself unable to wait for warmer temperatures. Still, have experienced mild hypothermia when riding long distances on the highway in these conditions and freezing rain or just above freezing rain.
    Again, I try to avoid extreme cold, but if it has been a while since I've had a ride, or I get caught away from home, I tough it out.
    Last November in Virginia on the TAT was somewhat brutal.
  5. PlowHand

PlowHand Ancient, ugly and happy :-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ride year round here in north Central Indiana. In the winter my trips are usually an hour or less so I haven’t bought any heated gear or grips. When it gets below 20 degrees I usually stay home or use a car/truck. I am allergic to vehicles with more than 2 wheels.
  6. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Firstgear Thermo 1 piece suit. Unbelievable in the cold.
    LudemJo likes this.
  7. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I prefer the term “agriculturally smooth.”

Like a really nice small farm tractor in high gear ..... I have a smallish john deere with a 17hp kawi industrial engine and its weird how similar they feel.

I don’t think either will ever actually stop.......
    smokediver3 and HardWorkingDog like this.
  8. Coldstreak

Coldstreak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It could be the choke cable adjuster has come loose. It happened to me with similar results. The adjuster is under the gas tank for some strange reason.
    810H4Z4RD likes this.
  9. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    AIS. Its one of two emissions systems on the Gen2. www.eaglemike.com sells a block off plate for the exhaust port connection.
    Bobk0 likes this.
  10. Mark96

Mark96 Way Out There!

Oddometer:
    Is it necessary to remove the cam chain tensioner and top cam chain guide in order to lift the cam just enough to remove a valve shim?

Also...when is the first valve check due. Manual says 24000 km...seems high to me.
  11. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's necessary to remove the tensioner and guide.

Do the first check when you feel like you need to. It's an easy enough job to not be a problem.
  12. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    So cool! I hadn’t heard that one before!!
    Hannda likes this.
  13. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any more new KLR jokes? This is great and I want to share them with all of my friends!!
  14. Bobk0

Bobk0 MacGyver Minded.

Oddometer:
    KLR-TT "travel tractor"
    scout68 likes this.
  15. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Flies like a bird, lands like a piano.
    Mofo Flake, Bigger Al and jwaller like this.
  16. Late for the Party

Late for the Party Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I completed the EM 685 Upgrade today.

Here are a few shots of the assembly:
    Stock Piston Removed.jpg JE 685 Piston and Cylinder Installed.jpg JE 685 Piston and Cylinder and Head Installed.jpg

I shipped everything to EM, and can't say enough about the help and quality of service. It took a solid 15 days round trip, but my work travel schedule required a long break from the project so it worked out great.

Break in procedure is complete (followed it to the letter). Vibrations are reduced, and performance seems much better (measured only by my observation during riding). The longevity this upgrade brings was my real goal, as I'm not a demanding rider performance wise. I'm at 24,594 miles and I'm looking forward to turning 100k in the out years.

This is the most significant mechanical accomplishment for me on this (or any) bike. No real issues, and I never felt like I was out of my league.

Instructions from EM were clear, precise, and I couldn't be happier.

Thanks to everyone here who gave me advise / guidance. Much appreciated.
  17. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, its; Soar's like an Eagle, lands like Grand Piano.
    JohnnyP3 and Bobk0 like this.
  18. Bobk0

Bobk0 MacGyver Minded.

Oddometer:
    I rode down to the local hobby shop and managed to somewhat match KLR camo paints. Now I gotta tape all this damage off and spray it with (new to me) matte clearcoat. Yest 2 part matte which will look interesting and protect paint. I know it will take some abuse, but im just wanting to overwrite the previous dummy owners abuse, and start fresh. More to come. 20190928_212404.jpg

I am also going to cut out the KLR logo from the stock decal and paint it on. Maybe different colors
    ZachM1 and HardWorkingDog like this.
  19. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to say thanks for those who took the time to reply to my cold weather inquiry. :thumbup

Best regards,
    JohnnyP3, SteelB12 and ZachM1 like this.
  20. PJ Bren

PJ Bren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're suggesting tapping the actual AIS hole? I've thought about that. The actual tap will fit in, but the T-handle would have basically no throw due to holes position in the corner of the spark plug "well". Maybe an extension on the tap? Further investigation required for this option. A concern with this is the metal chips that are created when tapping - I'm not sure where that AIS hole leads and if metal chips down it could cause some serious damage (anyone know?). Even with grease on the tap threads it is hard to catch them all, though as I mentioned earlier I could make a "plate" to fit in the bottom of the AIS hole to hopefully catch any chips.

Temperature fluctuation has been my concern with epoxy. I'm fairly certain it can handle the heat (especially given that the original AIS plate seals with an O-ring), but the constant fluctuation could cause it to crack or perhaps separate from the AIS hole walls. Additionally the smooth bore of the AIS hole isn't conducive to holding in an epoxy plug. Then again, I don't think there is too much pressure given that the original AIS plate was held in with 1 M6 bolt that was probably 2 or 3 inches "cantilevered" off the injection hole center.

Again, any insight is appreciated.
    Tsotsie and ZachM1 like this.