KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. sanders446

sanders446 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This winter I'm going to replace the wheel bearings with double sealed units. I understand that some places sell kits but I've not had the greatest luck with cheap bearings in some of my trailers in the past. Timkens have worked well for me so I figured I'd go with that brand for this job. Can anyone who is familiar with doing this confirm that these are the correct bearings to do the job? Really appreciate it!

6004-2RS - Deep Groove Radial Ball Bearings - 20x42x12mm
    6003-2RS - Deep Groove Radial Ball Bearings - 17x35x10mm
    6204-2RS - Deep Groove Radial Ball Bearings - 20x47x14mm
    6202-2RS - Deep Groove Radial Ball Bearings - 15x35x11mm
    6203-2RS - Deep Groove Radial Ball Bearings - 17x40x12mm
    scout68 likes this.
  2. NHTOTEROAD

NHTOTEROAD Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Bobk0

Bobk0 MacGyver Minded.

Oddometer:
    Started to cut out lettering of KLR decals with an exacto. It should srencil pretty well. Not sure what color combo to use yet. 20190930_175540.jpg
    20190930_172856.jpg
  4. TheHeretic

TheHeretic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe a dumb question but I currently have Cycle rack panniers on my KLR and HF pelican knock-off cases. I'm wondering what type of soft bags could be mounted to the racks that I could collapse some when not in use so the bike profile would be slimmer and maybe reduce the weight a bit compared to the hard cases. I've been looking around but nothing specifically tells me that the soft bags can be cinched down when not in use.
  5. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really any soft bag with compression straps that doesn't have an internal stiffener. I use HF pelican knock offs too, but also just got some Giant Loop motottrek panniers. They cinch down, though not completely flat.
    TheHeretic and Dan Diego like this.
  6. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A modest proposal: Consider CycleRacks textile bags:

[​IMG]

Durable, crash-worthy (don't ask me how I know this!) "soft" panniers and top case. Fit and interchange seamlessly between KLR650 and KLR250.

Check out, "Products," about the third page, of the Cycleracks website.

(Polar bear not included.)

Nerf bags: Happy Trails; handlebar and tank bags, Kawasaki.
    TheHeretic likes this.
  7. TheHeretic

TheHeretic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Guys!
  8. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is an issue I have not read about. This summer my front right indicator broke, or the rubber that holds it in place. About a month later the other side broke. Two months later the left rear indicator broke so I order a new one as well as the right rear one. The right rear one was half torn so to speak. In the span of approximately four months all four failed. Mine is a 13' so the lasted about six years. I'm not sure if this is the norm; however, I have used a cover since the day I bought the bike new. The mild wear and tear of putting on and off may have accelerated the wear. :dunno

Best regards,
  9. Baja_Bound

Baja_Bound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pollack likes this.
  10. mikehailwood

mikehailwood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Didn't 2008's or 2009's have this problem covered by warranty?
  11. Late for the Party

Late for the Party Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My son's '09 had the same issue.

At about 10k on mileage, his left front signal broke at the rubber base, followed about 4 months and 2k later by his right front signal the same way. Other than back country trips, it lives in a garage and is well cared for.
  12. Windborne11

Windborne11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There was a recall on signals on the 08's I believe.
  13. Gallowbraid

Gallowbraid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    08 and 09's saw a change in the source of rubber bits on the KLRs. The stalks for blinkers would fail as would some of the rubber shielding for the main wiring harness. The stalks are annoying, the wire harness protection failing would cause shorts as wire insulation rubbed through and would leave people stranded. I believe Kawasaki covered the wire harness under the recall universally, but replacement of the blinker stalks was hit or miss. There's a fella out there 3D printing replacements: https://3dcycleparts.com/2008-KLR-6...inker-Fix-NEW-Easy-Install-Version-p108657506
  14. Alex_Burton

Alex_Burton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MASSIVE BUMMER! I've got a stuck engine on my 2004 KLR650. My friendly local motorcycle shop is putting together an estimate as to what it'll cost to fix it, but I'm told it might be less $$$ to buy a good used engine from a salvaged KLR650 instead of repairing what I've got. So I've got two questions I hope y'all can help me with;

1.) Does anyone here have either a complete engine or a complete lower end they'd be willing to part with OR can anyone recommend a honest/reliable source for the same?

2.) Will a Gen2 engine work for a Gen 1 KLR650?

Your help is much appreciated!
  15. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    Your cost to fix, though, could include a 685 upgrade.
    Hannda likes this.
  16. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    And wouldn't burn oil like a Gen2 engine.
    ZachM1 likes this.
  17. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    I resemble that remark.
    Hannda likes this.
  18. phideaux

phideaux Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make that 'should'!
  19. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, and no. Can be done, but . . . here, some obstacles to the conversion:

Ignition systems remain significantly different between the generations. For example, ignition coils differ, plus . . . engine kill mechanism on Generation 1s shorts-to-ground stator AC source to ignition system, both on kill switch and on ignition switch; engine kill mechanism on Generation 2s interrupts 12 VDC source to ignition. No fan relay on Generation 2s; full fan current routed through thermal radiator switch.

To this I add, "etc." Other differences may require addressing for a Generation 2 engine implant into a Generation 1 KLR650.
  20. smokediver3

smokediver3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I "lovingly" referred to my 02 as the 2wheeled tractor, and now that parts from it have migrated onto the 92 that I picked up it has become Tractor 2.0, or as my son and one riding buddy dubbed it, Franken-bike.