KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. seldredge

seldredge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe 2008s had major oil burning issues . I don't know if that also applied to 2007. I expect someone with experience will chime in on this. And plastic body parts are expensive, although you could likely find a used one if you want to replace the headlight shroud. Is there any information on the maintenance of the bike? (Was doohickey done?) And I've seen newer bikes for not much more ($3500) in my area (SF Bay), but private party, which are generally less than dealers.
  2. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Maybe a little high, but if it fits what you want, you're not going to care if you spent $500 more than what somebody else thinks it's worth. A good looking ride that'll take you where you want to go...hard to beat for $3000.
    scout68 and XDragRacer like this.
  3. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Even with only 4k miles that seems a bit high, but what do I know. My dealer had a 2007 with 7k miles for around the same price and it got snapped up. 07 doesn't have an inherent oil burning issue, but it is still a Gen 1 and has the other Gen 1 issues, all fixable. Hemisphere offroad makes replacement plastic for Gen 1 bikes, only in black though.
  4. EnduroRdr

EnduroRdr Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Formerly BR-LA, LR-AR, Houston-Tx, now South MS
    That’s a fair price for 4K miles.
    I ride one exactly like it. So maybe I’m partial. And I got out of a 08 into an 07. I found I’m really more a gen 1 kinda dude.

Hard to find a 12 yo bike with low mileage like that. If you look hard enough, You can find one for less but likely will have tons more miles.

I say do it!

IMG_2372.JPG
    thechief86, FAW3, XDragRacer and 2 others like this.
  5. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No worms in the '07 model year; "Last of the Mohicans (Generation 1s)." Red . . . becomes PINK quite easily, unless garaged/covered, in my observation. A matter merely of aesthetic taste, surely! Color doesn't rise to the level of deal-breaker in my book; YMMV!
    Dan Diego likes this.
  6. Matthew.chizz

Matthew.chizz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

I have an 05’ KLR. I am currently in Baja California, almost in Cabo. Anyways, yesterday while I was on the road my odometer randomly quit working. Speedometer, tachometer and engine temperature gauge still works. Only my odometer and trip odometer quit working.

As all you KLR guys know, since we don’t have a fuel gauge the odometer is our fuel gage.

Any suggestion or ideas on what could be wrong? Easy fix? New gauge cluster??

TIA
  7. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 to this. I love the old school Gen 1.
  8. sanders446

sanders446 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will the trip odo reset or is it stuck?
  9. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    The good: Took the Green Meanie down to Camalu, Baja, for my first ever visit to Mexico!

The bad: Shortly after taking this I came in too hot into a random decreasing radius turn on the paved road headed NE out of Ejido Eréndira and sailed off a 25ft ledge at 40mph. Thankfully, miraculously as far as I'm concerned, I'm mostly ok, and the freakin bike managed to start back up and get me all the way 600 miles home the next day. Forks and bars are bent, front stay is toast, mirrors are gone, clutch cover is cracked, water pump housing damaged, but damn it took it like a champ!! 20191005_170956.jpg
  10. Matthew.chizz

Matthew.chizz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes it will reset. Only goes up to 9/10 than stops.
  11. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Where's the "Ouch" button...Like didn't quite seem right.
    Hannda, thechief86, windplay and 4 others like this.
  12. seldredge

seldredge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just check the klr s on Craigslist near me. Quite a few. Price you were quoted seems ok. Ones I saw for that $ had 18-25k miles. Worth’s look
  13. sanders446

sanders446 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You may want to get into the cluster and check to make sure one of the gear teeth isn't broken or disengaged for whatever reason. Here is a vid on how to remove the cluster.

and here is a picture of the worm gear that may be the culprit (pic borrowed from inmate klm4755)
    [​IMG]

Yikes! Glad you're gtg.
    Matthew.chizz and Nihon Newbie like this.
  14. Matthew.chizz

Matthew.chizz Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    It likely just came unscrewed from the instrument panel/Speedo. You can reach under and re-connect it. Easy peasy.
  16. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah, yes...reading comprehension is important!

I hope he gets it fixed.
  17. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That happened to me once and the long metal piece fell out on the highway.....

Best regards,
  18. Hannibal-8

Hannibal-8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I assume you have checked both ends of the speedo cable drive. Did this occur shortly after a front wheel removal? Check the connection (s) on both speedo and front wheel. To be safe remove the wheel end and inspect for a broken or worn drive end. If all fails then you will have to resort to do basic dead reckoning. Time x estimated speed = estimated miles. Maybe time to get a GPS?
    You might want to consider ordering up one of the Vapor products. I have even used a basic Bicycle computer on my GS.
  19. Bobk0

Bobk0 MacGyver Minded.

Oddometer:
    Anyone know which model Pro Taper bars are closest to stock or maybe a few mm taller which will bolt right on the KLR? Or any favorites? I might do bar risers later, but for now im good with stock. I'm about 6'3"
  20. Doppio

Doppio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Pro Taper SE ATV High model is a very close replacement to the stock bar.
    ctb619 likes this.