KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    We actually weighed the difference between the front ends of the Gen1 and Gen2. Most of the weight on the Gen2 is from the triples....steel vs aluminum. But if I recall it was about 15-16lbs.
    Gravis1982 and Dan Diego like this.
  2. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finally crash tested the Tusk crash bars. They held up fine to being dropped hard on pavement. I was crossing a river flowing over a bridge. I know with the algae, you’re supposed to keep it straight and keep a steady throttle. Well, couldn’t keep it straight because the bridge curves over the river (actually in the river right now). And the throttle was steady til it was time to climb out. Gave it a little gas and down we went.

I don’t know if it was proper technique or the squats I’ve been doing, but the bike was easy to lift.

The damage done
    IMG_1491.JPG

The folks behind me saw what happened to both me and the guy behind me and got smart. One thing the Ural is good at is not falling down. It may break down every other time you ride it, but it doesn’t fall. IMG_1492.JPG
    snake89, thechief86, PlowHand and 2 others like this.
  3. By-tor

By-tor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on the carb vent line. Riding in heavy rain will do that. I haven't done the T-mod on mine but I did cut the vent line at an angle toward the rear. Haven't had the issue again.
    sanders446 likes this.
  4. Goodenufnvris

Goodenufnvris Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a new bike this week. Huge thx to GWN with the 685 motor transplant at 98k to help the milestone happen. IMG_2940.JPG IMG_2937.JPG IMG_2939.JPG
    jonnyutah, DaFoole, Hannda and 27 others like this.
  5. z1rider

z1rider n00b

Oddometer:
    100K!!!!!!!! Good job.
  6. BluRidgeRider

BluRidgeRider Long Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I decided to pick up another KLR 650 while there were still some new bikes in dealer inventories. Found this 2018 still in the crate at Sport Cycles in Rockingham, NC. Have been working to get it set up to my liking. Race Tech suspension, Kouba link, JNS Engineering skid plate, Sargent saddle, Caribou bags and SW-Motech crashbars are among the items I’ve added so far.

3C5FFD02-8FC1-4216-AA59-061D2AE712AC.jpeg

Numa
    Hannda, Slambo, Marto71 and 14 others like this.
  7. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer:
    Pecos National Forest, northern New Mexico. 20191013_163722.jpg 20191013_132327.jpg 20191013_144800.jpg
    Hannda, DaveWave, Slambo and 12 others like this.
  8. Alex_Burton

Alex_Burton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful KLR650 country, but don’t post pictures of it, everybody will want to move here! Nicely setup Gen 1 you’ve got there comrade AteamNM!
  9. revmaaatin

revmaaatin Sioux Empire Iron Horse

Oddometer:
    KLR =K i L l e R, as in killer deal (or deal killer, if you wanted HP and factory suspension)
    Please, no haters; I love my KLR(s)
  10. revmaaatin

revmaaatin Sioux Empire Iron Horse

Oddometer:
    Just to build on other, numerous replies that are full of wisdom....
    I would add, watch the surface temps of the roads and ask, 'was there frost last night'. Black surfaces will heat up more quickly than the OAT, which is a good thing.

I have had a couple of gritty experiences on cement/asphalt/gravel crossing a 'bridge' where the frost was still visible on the road surface over the bridging material, be it concrete, wood or steel pipes! yikes! I am sure most of have seen the road warning sign: BRIDGE FREEZES BEFORE THE ROAD, or BRIDGE MAY BE ICY, which will seem odd when you can't see any frozen moisture.
    The frost will linger over the bridge surface until it warms up, or another vehicle melts the frost from the sheer weight of the tire print, (usually) melting the frost.

Frost can be particularly difficult to see if you are riding into the sun. = rider beware.

a little more reading here:
    https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...i131j35i39j0i10.GMFFXa3IG8Y#spf=1571082710820
    m1.
    scout68, Pollack and ZachM1 like this.
  11. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_1494.JPG
    Just looks like a rock, right?

IMG_1495.JPG
    Son-of-a-bitch!!! Another nail!

Thinking I’m ready to try converting the rear tire to some sort of tubeless set-up
  12. Gravis1982

Gravis1982 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I looked for 1 minute and couldnt find where I read it on the ol' internet machine. Perhaps someone can chime in.

But I think if you mount a front fender low...and backwards...so it rides low(ish) to the ground but between the front tire and the engine, it prevents the front tire from kicking up nails it finds back toward the rear...pointy side up. Although, I have not tried this. Perhaps its fake news.
  13. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seems like a good technique and boy does this guy know what he's talking about. Did a tire repair seminar with him and he is super knowledgeable.
  14. Badfish311

Badfish311 n00b

Oddometer:
    Too many possible leak points for my taste. Just my opinion.
  15. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The culprit.
    IMG_1497.JPG

Little piece of crap made for a difficult day

Attached Files:

16. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn Tapatalk. IMG_1498.JPG

That’s the real culprit. Y’all didn’t need to see a pic of me on the day I was teaching the FOIL method
  17. Bobk0

Bobk0 MacGyver Minded.

Oddometer:
    Bit more work completed on operation KLR surgery. Stencil/tape HELL, but almost ready for matte-clearcoat.

Original owner damage.
    20190915_151625.jpg

20191012_184344.jpg
    20191013_210100.jpg

Now on to trying to paint each damaged camo pattern individually.
    20191014_182257.jpg
    20191013_210105.jpg
  18. Rougie

Rougie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey folks add my name to the list too!
  19. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    :jack

Welcome! You've only got 1,792 pages to go, but it's well worthwhile.
    Hannda likes this.
  20. lonegunm4n

lonegunm4n Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20191016_183009.jpg

Came home with the '07 KLR today. I got it for ~$3200 OTD. It has the factory tool kit, and both original Kawasaki keys.

I did have an issue with it about 3 miles after I left the dealer. I was in the middle lane of the interstate, when it started to surge. It did that for about 20 seconds, then died. My original thought was electrical as I was coasting over to the shoulder, but figured it may be fuel related since it sputtered and didn't die right away. I messed with it for about 5 or 10 minutes, when I discovered I could get it to run with the petcock in the off position. Weird, but whatever, as long as it was running.

I made it about 40 miles, not quite half way home, when it surged for about a second, then completely died. I got over to the shoulder, and popped the gas tank. Completely empty. My buddy who had taken me to the dealership had been following me, so he pulled over with me. The next gas station was about 5 miles up the road. Rather than spend the $18 on a 2 gallon gas can, I found an empty milk jug in a trash pile on the property just behind the store. I made sure it was somewhat clean, and in true KLR fashion, filled it full of gas. I cut the bottom off of a water bottle to use as a funnel. We made it back to the bike and filled it up, which was more than enough gas to get me to the gas station. Come to find out, the off position was actually reserve.

First mods are going to be doohickey, t-bob, and do the comfort mods because it is all out of wack for me. After that, replace the cracked cowling/fairing and go from there.
    Hannda, jwaller, Fixnfly and 8 others like this.