KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. EnduroRdr

EnduroRdr Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Formerly BR-LA, LR-AR, Houston-Tx, now South MS
    Hannda likes this.
  2. phideaux

phideaux Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Looks like a great deal! Mercy, that's a C L E A N bike.
    Now you need to learn about the 'KLR Out of Gas Dance'!

Fido:norton
    thechief86 likes this.
  3. Slambo

Slambo B-52 RN

Oddometer:
    NICE!! Mine used to look like that! C4FEBDFE-AF1E-4172-86A1-E113A3DE7D1E.jpeg
    Alex_Burton, Hannda, FAW3 and 6 others like this.
  4. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that can be a bit confusing. Knowing my machine, I'd have turned the petcock the other way, but on a bike with no experience...
    Sometimes you can tip the KLR on its left side and get more fuel from the RH tank sump. IAC, mine's gone at least 30 miles on reserve.
    Hannda and thechief86 like this.
  5. sanders446

sanders446 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh boy is that nice. I picked up a 2007 a few years ago with very low miles and a garaged life. That said, it was still an old bike that had some worn out parts. The fuel line was original and was shedding tiny pieces of itself into the carb gumming it up. The carb wasn't drained when it was garaged so it needed a good cleaning, a float bowl gasket and float needle valve. The chain was toasty and the PO adjusted it way too tight. The exhaust header gasket had given up the ghost. The coolant and brake fluid was nasty and needed a thorough flush. The fork fluid was also no good anymore and stunk to high heaven. When I went to grease the swingarm bearings I learned that Kawasaki skimped on the grease and the swingarm bolt was rusted into place. Really rusted. It took a dozen hours and almost a week to get it out. The steering stem nut was loose...

I'm sharing this because these are things you might want to check on when you have it in the garage doing initial maintenance. That's a sweet bike and I hope you keep it for a very long time and have many adventures!
    HardWorkingDog likes this.
  6. lonegunm4n

lonegunm4n Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife and I are in the process of moving, which includes my garage/shop. I am doing the 'doo, t-bob, checking the valves and doing the comfort mods first because they are fairly straight forward, don't require much by way of tools, and are important for the life span of a KLR (IMO). Honestly, I probably should have waited to buy it because it's going to sit for the next month or two while we deal with moving (my garage/shop is the last thing to go), but I felt like it was something I couldn't pass up.

My long term plan, once I can get set up in my new garage/shop, is to go over and through every nut, bolt, and component, replace all the fluids, and go over every single electrical connector. I've dealt with the troubles of a low mileage/garage'd vehicle before ('93 Chevy Cavalier that only had 25k miles on it when I bought it in 2004) and don't wish to repeat that lol
    Bigger Al likes this.
  7. NHTOTEROAD

NHTOTEROAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always tell myself "forward means go". Turn the petcock pointed forward for reserve.
  8. F150

F150 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Search skills are lacking, as I'm coming up dry. Looking to improve upon my 2001 stock saddle, waay too soft for my 230 lbs. Anyone try the DIY route? Seen plenty talk of cutting down/sculpting; I'm looking to replace, make firmer and if anything a bit taller/wider than stock. Figure if I fail miserably I can always pony up for a Seat Concepts kit.
  9. sanders446

sanders446 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tim2wheels on youtube had a video where he goes step by step into beefing up a stock seat with good results.

Edit: Here's the vid

10. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW: another big buy here. 250 lbs. I had a Seat Concepts kit on my DL1000 and loved it. Bought the kit for the KLR and hated it. The dish in the seat was in the wrong place for me. Ended up with a Corbin Flat, which is hard as a brick and certainly not everybody's cup of tea.
  11. Slambo

Slambo B-52 RN

Oddometer:
    I am 6’1, 240 lbs...in true KLR (cheap) DIY fashion, I double stacked two of the Walmart ATV seat pads...made the seat about one inch taller and one inch wider...been on for about 12 years now...I can ride all day with the seat...
    50F4639F-B9B5-4840-9607-9A6EA62C441F.jpeg 8404806E-AB09-42B2-8BB4-426BDE2DF6F9.jpeg
    Hannda, Bigger Al, Tico and 2 others like this.
  12. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same. What you said Slambo. I’ve ended up with same solution, 40 bucks total , plus tax.
    And for those extra lengthy days, a 10 dollar slab of closed cell foam from a cheap studying/bleacher seat, sandwiched between the double gel layers. Super duper technical stuff here..... And for the final stunning versatility option....a 35 dollar piece of sheep skin when cold is an issue. For less than 90 bucks it’s a total “KLR seat system.”

By the way, nice KLr and beautiful view....Foothills Parkway?
    Slambo and merc16 like this.
  13. F150

F150 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reminder, I now recall watching that video quite a while ago. Pretty sure my foam is being held together by the original brown seat cover; "ass hatchet" best description I have for it. After sitting on a new Triumph scrambler saddle (flat rock) and borrowing a friends' Bill Mayer custom for a few hundred miles (firmer than new OEM, much more support, but butt wandered looking for home), wondering if I could pull off something on my own. Thinking all these super-thin, dense closed cell yoga mats I see in the trash could be bonded, layered, sculpted, etc. to make something I could live with (that or splurge for the $4 slab like Tim). Like to make as flat as possible as well; even the Mayer had me sliding downhill into the back of the tank, but since my friend had highway pegs they might have stuffed it that way intentionally. I'm a little wide as well, so happy to hear you are getting a little additional width out of the ATV pads.

Short-term I'll try the pad layering approach.

Thank you, sirs, for the feedback.
  14. Slambo

Slambo B-52 RN

Oddometer:
    Thanks...33,xxx miles and runs great...not actually Foothills Parkway but not far away!
    scout68 and thechief86 like this.
  15. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What worked for me for a 1,000 mile iron butt ride was a cheap Wal-Mart ATV seat pad and a sheep skin. That’s being about 260 lbs.
    Slambo and scout68 like this.
  16. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    I have the opportunity to buy a 2012 KLR with 8800 miles for $1950, supposedly in great condition. Should I buy it? I already have an '09 with 45k miles and plan to buy a Yamaha T7 when it comes out. But if the 45k mile bike were to have a problem that takes me some time to repair then I wouldn't have a dual sport in the interim. So, should I buy it today?
  17. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    I know I always keep at least one extra bike around for potential failures, or for friends to ride or even learn to ride. If you can get a low mileage klr for less than 2 grand, I'd say it's a good investment.
  18. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    My '09 has aluminum wheels. The ones on the bike in question are black. Is that painted steel? Did the previous owner change the wheels on mine?
  19. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    As someone who has at least a handful + of bikes in the garage I'd suggest/encourage multiple bike ownership, however, I would recommend your second bike NOT be the same as your primary bike.
    thechief86 likes this.
  20. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    2009's did not come with black rims. Later models that did were not painted in the conventional sense but powdercoated. Previous owner could have painted or powdercoated the original wheels. Doubtful as its cheaper to pick up used black rims for the KLR.