KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    No. The ad was, IMO, a scam. I tried contacting twice in two different ways with no response. Thanks for asking.
  2. mwitt08

mwitt08 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. OdyBandit

OdyBandit Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. motogoat

motogoat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. lonegunm4n

lonegunm4n Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I ran out of gas on my way home from the dealership, my buddy picked me up and we went to the gas station. The cheapest gas can they had was a 2 gallon for $25.

I saw there was trash strewn across an empty lot behind the gas station.

2 minutes of searching turned up an intact gallon water jug (with lid!) that was empty and bone dry. It held 1.2 gallons of gas and was more than enough to get me to the gas station.

Probably illegal, but eh. No one died and I safely made it to the gas station.
  6. mwitt08

mwitt08 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Trying to sell my bike. Get a couple bites and they want to see the bike the next day.

Go to start it up myself just to give it a once over. The electrical system dies and I see a wisp of smoke.

Three hours later I found the wires to the turn signal relay shorted to the frame.

Woosah woosah
  7. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    Future reference, if you run out of gas while on reserve there is at least another 9 miles of fuel available. Side stand down rotate the bike up on the side stand and rear tire. Tilt up till the remaining full on the bottom right side of the tank flows to the left side. Put the bike back down, restart and head for gas station.
  8. Scottish Solutions

Scottish Solutions n00b

Oddometer:
    My son has an 05 Klr, put some kind of an aftermarket thermostat bypass. Now his eng temp is right in the middle all the time and his oil burning is almost nothing. I'm talking even on rides not much above freezing. ( it's a Canadian thing we do ).
    Scooter Addict and thechief86 like this.
  9. lonegunm4n

lonegunm4n Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He probably installed a Thermo-Bob or something very similar.
    Scooter Addict likes this.
  10. HDLNR

HDLNR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know what kind of handguards I could find similar to these ?
    hanguards.png

Those and my bars were trashed. I put in pro taper ATV high se bars but most hanguards I'm finding are shorter around. I really liked the bigger cup feeling especially in cold & wet riding. Any ideas?
  11. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Hard to tell, but my guess is those are Barkbuster brand handguards. Maybe the Storms?
  12. tubebender

tubebender Shakin' all over

Oddometer:
  13. Baja_Bound

Baja_Bound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got my wife to do a breakfast run this morning (~50 miles). First time to have anyone on the back of the KLR and I was impressed with how well it did. :D

[​IMG]
  14. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess you got the vibration issue all sorted out. What all did that take?
  15. Baja_Bound

Oddometer:
    A few things, but I think a change in my expectations helped most.

The biggie was removing the left cases and rerouting the balancer chain to correct position. I also added grip puppies to the handlebar grips which helps my weenie hands.
  16. mikehailwood

mikehailwood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please explain.
  17. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, instead of going up, around, down, around, down and then back up it now goes down, up, around, up, around then back down.

:-)
    thechief86 likes this.
  18. Alex_Burton

Alex_Burton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    06ltd likes this.
  19. mikehailwood

mikehailwood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How, do you suppose, it came to the point of "going up, around, down, around and then back up"? Did it appear that someone had been in there before for some reason?
  20. Baja_Bound

Oddometer:
    The previous owner of the bike performed the doohickey replacement and valve adjustment just before selling it. During the process, I believe he removed the timing chain and the balancer chain, although the balancer chain does not need to be removed for this maintenance. Upon replacement, the balancer chain was "off" by a few chain links preventing the left balancer weight and rear balancer weight from being in the correct position to offset the large displacement piston. After correction, it removed about ~30-40% of the vibration at higher rpms. The correct placement of the chain can be found in the service manual.

As for a change in my expectations, my riding experience has been with 250cc engines and mostly offroad. The bikes are smooth and any vibration is due to the condition of the riding surface. I guess I expected the same with a 650cc, just more power. I still am experiencing more vibration that I would like, and will continue to tinker. I added 'grip puppies' which has helped my hands from some of the vibration. I have ROX bar risers which I may remove to see if that helps, or at least add some type of dampening material where it meets at the triple clamp. I may go up one tooth at the drive sprocket which I hear may slightly reduce the buzz at higher speeds. I may also change the stock bars to aftermarket bars (or stuff the stock bars with BBs) which may slightly reduce the handle bar vibration.