KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. lonegunm4n

lonegunm4n Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode to the grocery store to pick up some stuff for my wife and I. It started up just fine, ran great all the way there. I loaded it down with my groceries, put up the kickstand, squeezed in the clutch, and nada. It wouldn't even turn over. Kill switch is in the run position, key in the start position, headlight is on and bright, kickstand is up, clutch is squeezed in, and still nothing. I worked the clutch twice, and it finally started right up.

Looks like the safety switch bypasses will be added to my list of things to do come time for my massive rebuild/refresh on my KLR.
  2. sgroover

sgroover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just added heated grips and a lead for my heated liner. What voltage on my voltmeter should concern me while riding? Took it for a 55 mile test run today and the lowest reading I saw was 12.6v when both on high, low beam and slowing down at an intersection to turn.

Wad usually around 13.5v or 13.6v while riding. Just don't want to ride some where further, then not be able to start it.

Haven't done any lighting mods (LEDs), but want to go with Cyclops headlights and LED brake and blinkers bulbs to save wattage, etc.

Thanks for any input or thoughts.

Sammy
  3. lonegunm4n

Oddometer:
    You didn't list if you had a Gen 1 (87-07) or a Gen 2 (08-18) KLR, but for the Gen 1:

4. sgroover

sgroover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good catch, my bad. I have the 2014.5 Gen 2 model.

Sammy
  5. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wanted to see how much to see how much oil my 13' with 35K is using. I put in fresh oil and I started keeping track.; interestingly enough, I did not expect the results. At 600 miles, no usage. At 800 just enough to notice. At 1K I had to put in 3 or 4 oz. At 1,200 it was drinking oil as expected and I had to put in another 3 or 4 oz. It appears the oil sheer plays a significant role in the oil longevity. Feel free to contribute.....

Best regards,
  6. Argentian

Argentian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s how I know it’s time to change my oil - by how much it’s using.
  7. wheresbaoskee

wheresbaoskee Perpendicular to Everything

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,

My current situation dictates that I try to clear out some of my extra KLR parts. Primarily a spare Gen 1 engine in good condition that would be a great big-bore, EFI project (which was my long term plan for it), rebuild project, or parts source.

Posted here in the SoCal Flea as well as on Craigslist. Ignore the Pricing For Craigslist Randos, I'll certainly give an Inmate much better deals on this stuff. Especially the Clearview as I scored it recently and don't need to make a profit off an Inmate like I would off a Craigslist Rando.

PM me for info and such. My preference is for locals, but I am willing to work with you on shipping the lighter items if you're down to pay postage costs.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/socal-flea-market.1116736/page-9#post-38753961

Please pass along if you know anyone off board who may be looking for this stuff.

And advance apologies if cross-posting the FleaMarket link breaks some sort of forum rule.
  8. Scooter Addict

Scooter Addict Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone else installed a thermobob with the same results? I’m debating if I should install one on my 2009 with 3,500mi on it. Any reasonable input would be helpful.
  9. lonegunm4n

Oddometer:
    I officially had my first spill on my KLR today.

We had a cold front come in last night, and today was moderate and pretty wet. With the weather being fairly yucky and errands to run, I figured I'd take the KLR as it has some weather protection with the stock fairing and hand guards.

I pulled up to my house after doing everything, and slowed down to turn into our yard (we don't have an actual driveway, it's all grass), which is fairly wet. I started braking on the street, continued braking across the sidewalk, and continued braking into the grass as I usually do. Well, the second the rear tire had good contact with the damp grass, the rear brake locked up and the back end came around. I tried to steer into it, but it was too much too fast and we low-sided into the grass.

Only damage was to the yard, from the point of impact and where the footpeg and end of the handle bar dug into the grass. KLR was A-OK after cleaning the mud and grass.
    jwaller and willfreely like this.
  10. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    IMAG2019.jpg
    They hold up better than we do.

IMAG2039.jpg
  11. EdCG

EdCG Just Some Guy

Oddometer:
    I'm doing some trip planning which includes thinking ahead on tire changes. For those who specifically run a TKC70 on the rear I am curious about what kind of tire life/mileage you've managed. Ranges are fine. I'm well aware that on/off road and weight factor in. Riding a Gen2.
  12. EdCG

EdCG Just Some Guy

Oddometer:
    Yikes. Glad you're mostly OK. Sobering when we have mishaps in the most familiar places. I've always found my back brake to be touchy. I'll take this as a lesson for the future when I'm transitioning from oen surface to another in the wet.
    scout68 likes this.
  13. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The thermobob would be a good investment if you planned on having the bike on a long term basis. If your not going to put more than 20K on it, I wouldn't bother. Google watt-man, he is the designer and his web-site has a lot of good information.

Best regards,
    willfreely and Scooter Addict like this.
  14. Scooter Addict

Oddometer:
    Is that the stock seat that you cut down?
    ScooterAddict
  15. Baja_Bound

Baja_Bound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, it is the Corbin Platform Low Saddle Seat. http://corbin.com/kawasaki/klrhpyt.shtml

The original owner had it installed at the dealership when buying the bike. It definitely helps me touch the ground with my short stature (5'7") but I find the seat a little too firm. My biggest complaints are 1) I slide back and forth when quickly accelerating and braking and 2) the bike's vibrations / buzziness are not dampened at all by the seat. I have the original OEM seat (brand new) that I have thought about reinstalling to see if it is more comfy on my butt.

Here is another picture of the bike so you can see the contour of this seat.
    [​IMG]
    AzMtnThumper and Scooter Addict like this.
  16. Scooter Addict

Oddometer:
    You keep the bike in great condition. Looks very clean. Unfortunately the previous owners of my 2009 kept the bike outside during the day at work. The blue plastic has faded and the black side covers are hazed over. That is a good looking seat. I’ve had Corbin‘s and they are The best looking seats, unfortunately not the most comfortable. How did your better half enjoy the comfort of the passenger seat?
    ScooterAddict

P.S.- If you consider parting with the Corbin, I may be interested. Mine has the original and the seams are starting to separate.
  17. Baja_Bound

Baja_Bound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just asked her for you and she said this about the Corbin Seat "I would not describe that seat as comfortable by any stretch of the imagination. The vibration was not too bad but I had to slide my rear end all the way back to the where the tool bag was mounted. I think that length of trip (50 miles) would be on the long end".

Straight from the horse's mouth. I mean my wife. :rofl
    Scooter Addict and thechief86 like this.
  18. deepcdiver

deepcdiver Nobody Special

Oddometer:
    The Sargent seat is a bit softer. Corbin are way firm, after having a Sargent I have never looked back. Some prefer a firm seat but even after 25,000 break-in miles it was not for me.
    Scooter Addict and thechief86 like this.
  19. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    INstalled one on my 05 which was a daily rider year round. In winter my oil used to turn white from condensation in the crankcase that never was able to burn away due to the two mile ride into the plant. The Thermo bob stopped this problem. Never any oil burning experiences. RAcer
  20. lonegunm4n

Oddometer:
    FB_IMG_1573369886775.jpg

I love finding OEM KLR parts on the side of the road...