KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess you got the vibration issue all sorted out. What all did that take?
  2. Baja_Bound

Baja_Bound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few things, but I think a change in my expectations helped most.

The biggie was removing the left cases and rerouting the balancer chain to correct position. I also added grip puppies to the handlebar grips which helps my weenie hands.
  3. mikehailwood

mikehailwood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please explain.
  4. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, instead of going up, around, down, around, down and then back up it now goes down, up, around, up, around then back down.

:-)
    thechief86 likes this.
  5. Alex_Burton

Alex_Burton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    06ltd likes this.
  6. mikehailwood

mikehailwood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How, do you suppose, it came to the point of "going up, around, down, around and then back up"? Did it appear that someone had been in there before for some reason?
  7. Baja_Bound

Baja_Bound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The previous owner of the bike performed the doohickey replacement and valve adjustment just before selling it. During the process, I believe he removed the timing chain and the balancer chain, although the balancer chain does not need to be removed for this maintenance. Upon replacement, the balancer chain was "off" by a few chain links preventing the left balancer weight and rear balancer weight from being in the correct position to offset the large displacement piston. After correction, it removed about ~30-40% of the vibration at higher rpms. The correct placement of the chain can be found in the service manual.

As for a change in my expectations, my riding experience has been with 250cc engines and mostly offroad. The bikes are smooth and any vibration is due to the condition of the riding surface. I guess I expected the same with a 650cc, just more power. I still am experiencing more vibration that I would like, and will continue to tinker. I added 'grip puppies' which has helped my hands from some of the vibration. I have ROX bar risers which I may remove to see if that helps, or at least add some type of dampening material where it meets at the triple clamp. I may go up one tooth at the drive sprocket which I hear may slightly reduce the buzz at higher speeds. I may also change the stock bars to aftermarket bars (or stuff the stock bars with BBs) which may slightly reduce the handle bar vibration.
  8. lonegunm4n

lonegunm4n Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode to the grocery store to pick up some stuff for my wife and I. It started up just fine, ran great all the way there. I loaded it down with my groceries, put up the kickstand, squeezed in the clutch, and nada. It wouldn't even turn over. Kill switch is in the run position, key in the start position, headlight is on and bright, kickstand is up, clutch is squeezed in, and still nothing. I worked the clutch twice, and it finally started right up.

Looks like the safety switch bypasses will be added to my list of things to do come time for my massive rebuild/refresh on my KLR.
  9. sgroover

sgroover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just added heated grips and a lead for my heated liner. What voltage on my voltmeter should concern me while riding? Took it for a 55 mile test run today and the lowest reading I saw was 12.6v when both on high, low beam and slowing down at an intersection to turn.

Wad usually around 13.5v or 13.6v while riding. Just don't want to ride some where further, then not be able to start it.

Haven't done any lighting mods (LEDs), but want to go with Cyclops headlights and LED brake and blinkers bulbs to save wattage, etc.

Thanks for any input or thoughts.

Sammy
  10. lonegunm4n

Oddometer:
    You didn't list if you had a Gen 1 (87-07) or a Gen 2 (08-18) KLR, but for the Gen 1:

11. sgroover

sgroover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good catch, my bad. I have the 2014.5 Gen 2 model.

Sammy
  12. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wanted to see how much to see how much oil my 13' with 35K is using. I put in fresh oil and I started keeping track.; interestingly enough, I did not expect the results. At 600 miles, no usage. At 800 just enough to notice. At 1K I had to put in 3 or 4 oz. At 1,200 it was drinking oil as expected and I had to put in another 3 or 4 oz. It appears the oil sheer plays a significant role in the oil longevity. Feel free to contribute.....

Best regards,
  13. Argentian

Argentian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s how I know it’s time to change my oil - by how much it’s using.
  14. wheresbaoskee

wheresbaoskee Perpendicular to Everything

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,

My current situation dictates that I try to clear out some of my extra KLR parts. Primarily a spare Gen 1 engine in good condition that would be a great big-bore, EFI project (which was my long term plan for it), rebuild project, or parts source.

Posted here in the SoCal Flea as well as on Craigslist. Ignore the Pricing For Craigslist Randos, I'll certainly give an Inmate much better deals on this stuff. Especially the Clearview as I scored it recently and don't need to make a profit off an Inmate like I would off a Craigslist Rando.

PM me for info and such. My preference is for locals, but I am willing to work with you on shipping the lighter items if you're down to pay postage costs.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/socal-flea-market.1116736/page-9#post-38753961

Please pass along if you know anyone off board who may be looking for this stuff.

And advance apologies if cross-posting the FleaMarket link breaks some sort of forum rule.
  15. Scooter Addict

Scooter Addict Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone else installed a thermobob with the same results? I’m debating if I should install one on my 2009 with 3,500mi on it. Any reasonable input would be helpful.
  16. lonegunm4n

Oddometer:
    I officially had my first spill on my KLR today.

We had a cold front come in last night, and today was moderate and pretty wet. With the weather being fairly yucky and errands to run, I figured I'd take the KLR as it has some weather protection with the stock fairing and hand guards.

I pulled up to my house after doing everything, and slowed down to turn into our yard (we don't have an actual driveway, it's all grass), which is fairly wet. I started braking on the street, continued braking across the sidewalk, and continued braking into the grass as I usually do. Well, the second the rear tire had good contact with the damp grass, the rear brake locked up and the back end came around. I tried to steer into it, but it was too much too fast and we low-sided into the grass.

Only damage was to the yard, from the point of impact and where the footpeg and end of the handle bar dug into the grass. KLR was A-OK after cleaning the mud and grass.
    jwaller and willfreely like this.
  17. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    IMAG2019.jpg
    They hold up better than we do.

IMAG2039.jpg
  18. EdCG

EdCG Just Some Guy

Oddometer:
    I'm doing some trip planning which includes thinking ahead on tire changes. For those who specifically run a TKC70 on the rear I am curious about what kind of tire life/mileage you've managed. Ranges are fine. I'm well aware that on/off road and weight factor in. Riding a Gen2.
  19. EdCG

EdCG Just Some Guy

Oddometer:
    Yikes. Glad you're mostly OK. Sobering when we have mishaps in the most familiar places. I've always found my back brake to be touchy. I'll take this as a lesson for the future when I'm transitioning from oen surface to another in the wet.
    scout68 likes this.
  20. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The thermobob would be a good investment if you planned on having the bike on a long term basis. If your not going to put more than 20K on it, I wouldn't bother. Google watt-man, he is the designer and his web-site has a lot of good information.

Best regards,
    willfreely and Scooter Addict like this.