KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Scooter Addict

Scooter Addict Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that the stock seat that you cut down?
    ScooterAddict
  2. Baja_Bound

Baja_Bound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, it is the Corbin Platform Low Saddle Seat. http://corbin.com/kawasaki/klrhpyt.shtml

The original owner had it installed at the dealership when buying the bike. It definitely helps me touch the ground with my short stature (5'7") but I find the seat a little too firm. My biggest complaints are 1) I slide back and forth when quickly accelerating and braking and 2) the bike's vibrations / buzziness are not dampened at all by the seat. I have the original OEM seat (brand new) that I have thought about reinstalling to see if it is more comfy on my butt.

Here is another picture of the bike so you can see the contour of this seat.
    [​IMG]
    AzMtnThumper and Scooter Addict like this.
  3. Scooter Addict

Scooter Addict Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You keep the bike in great condition. Looks very clean. Unfortunately the previous owners of my 2009 kept the bike outside during the day at work. The blue plastic has faded and the black side covers are hazed over. That is a good looking seat. I’ve had Corbin‘s and they are The best looking seats, unfortunately not the most comfortable. How did your better half enjoy the comfort of the passenger seat?
    ScooterAddict

P.S.- If you consider parting with the Corbin, I may be interested. Mine has the original and the seams are starting to separate.
  4. Baja_Bound

Baja_Bound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just asked her for you and she said this about the Corbin Seat "I would not describe that seat as comfortable by any stretch of the imagination. The vibration was not too bad but I had to slide my rear end all the way back to the where the tool bag was mounted. I think that length of trip (50 miles) would be on the long end".

Straight from the horse's mouth. I mean my wife. :rofl
    Scooter Addict and thechief86 like this.
  5. deepcdiver

deepcdiver Nobody Special

Oddometer:
    The Sargent seat is a bit softer. Corbin are way firm, after having a Sargent I have never looked back. Some prefer a firm seat but even after 25,000 break-in miles it was not for me.
    Scooter Addict and thechief86 like this.
  6. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    INstalled one on my 05 which was a daily rider year round. In winter my oil used to turn white from condensation in the crankcase that never was able to burn away due to the two mile ride into the plant. The Thermo bob stopped this problem. Never any oil burning experiences. RAcer
  7. lonegunm4n

lonegunm4n Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FB_IMG_1573369886775.jpg

I love finding OEM KLR parts on the side of the road...
  8. Bobk0

Bobk0 MacGyver Minded.

Oddometer:
    So I'm nearing having put 1000 miles on my new to me KLR, mileage is nearing 4000 on the bike. The one thing I've noticed is a weird resonant increase in vibration at 4000RPM.

The bike seems to have normal linear type thumper vibration from 0 - 3900 RPM, but at 4000 there is an amplified feeling. I have read over quite a bit of threads in multiple forums about this, but not 100% sure of the answer.

I have not yet installed my Doohick+torsion spring, but I did read in one thread that EagleMike himself noted "flawed balancer weights" in some models.

What's the overall opinion here? I can put up with the vibe if it's a healthy vibe, but it seems odd to me that the vibe is almost increased 1.5X at the 4000RPM level. Its definitely a rotational vibration specific to the engine. But why this "surge" at 4000?
  9. F150

F150 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sunday was mid 50s and gorgeous, saw 4 KLRs within a 2hr period. Anybody here running around south Nashville/Brentwood area Sunday afternoon? Heading for a high of 29 F tomorrow. Good timing.
  10. F150

F150 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an '01 with only 3,300 miles at present. I doubt I'll run a lot of miles in the cold months (if you want to call middle TN cold), but even in high 40's-low 50's, I noticed my temp gauge does not get far above the cold mark unless you get caught by a light. A thermostatically controlled cooling system has got to be an improvement. In the interim, I plan to implement the old cardboard over the radiator approach this coming weekend.
    Bigger Al likes this.
  11. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Thermobob will help with your situation. My bike warms up to 185 in about 2 minutes, and the temps stay stable.
  12. Doug Cunningham

Doug Cunningham Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all...
    Now that it's getting a bit colder here [in Colorado Springs] i've been thinking about major services I could probably do till it warms up again, and be ready to head for the hills. I currently have an '06 KLR650. I had an '05 a few years back. Rode it around [completely stock] for a couple of years in Djibouti (E Africa) with no troubles. Even at 120* summer days. When I bought my '06 a bit ago, I asked a local shop mechanic about replacing/upgrading the "dokickey". He said that in the years that he has been a mechanic, he has NOT seen an issue, and sees no reason to go through the financial and physical trouble to change it out.
    What are YOUR thoughts...(on "dohickey" or other needed services)?
  13. lonegunm4n

Oddometer:
    I plan on doing the thermobob/doohickey on my KLR ('07, around 4500 miles on the ODO) as part of it's massive 'rebuild' in December.
    Scooter Addict likes this.
  14. lonegunm4n

Oddometer:
    I researched it like I do anything, through reading the various KLR forums/threads, looked up NTSB reports on the doohickey failure, and watched several videos documenting the install of the doohickey and the limitations on the stock balancer system. Does that make me an expert on the KLR counter-balancer system? I don't think so. But, it was enough to convince me to spend the money when it comes time and have it done.

Same thing with the Thermo-Bob. Some say it's unnecessary, others say it's a must have on any KLR, right up there with the above mentioned doohickey. Opinions are going to vary based on their own research and their own personal experience.

As far as major services go, my plan when I am able to get set up in my new garage is to do a complete tear down of my KLR. I have an '07 with around 4500 miles on it. I am going to go over every single electrical connection, check every bolt, grease the rear swing arm and possibly install zerks, and on and on. I don't plan on taking the engine apart from doing the doohickey, installing a thermbob, and doing the clutch side filter screen clean out.
  15. wheresbaoskee

wheresbaoskee Perpendicular to Everything

Oddometer:
    FWIW:

Recently replaced the Doo on my '99 earlier this year. When I opened up the case I found the stock Doo split in half and noticeable scoring on the inside of the case. There's a picture up-thread someplace around where there's a bunch of chatter about the "Tamer Relay."

Honestly, it's a relatively simple process, even for a "No Banana" mechanic like myself (term borrowed from other forums), and in terms of bike parts not terribly expensive. In my case it was part of my "learning to work on my bike" process with this old workhorse of a motorcycle of mine.

Also, the specialty tools are easily found on loan either in this thread or on other KLR boards.

I haven't installed the "Bob," but if it were not for financial concerns I would have back when I replaced the water pump seals.

YMMV.
  16. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    B0D0EEE0-FEE8-4107-8EBA-7CA873CE8F85.jpeg

Do the doo. This was from my 91. Original owner had put in an upgraded spring with the doo and it still broke - and it is MUCH higher quality than the OEM one. Do the doohickey and do a Torsion spring.
  17. AzMtnThumper

AzMtnThumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Tusk crash bars have a vibration something like what your describing.
  18. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Watched a cable TV documentary on searching for and finding the midget Japanese submarine sunk by the USS Ward on December 7, 1941, just prior to the aerial attack on Hawaii.

The ultra-million-dollar submersible, 3-man crew search search vessel in the program mounted, as far as I could tell, plastic crates wholly not unlike the milk crate (of KLR notoriety) you found, lashed to the deck! Seems like, the remotely-manipulable claws deposited whatever artifacts they collected into these crates, for examination and analysis upon surfacing.

Maybe . . . a marine engineer once saw an "equipped" KLR on the road . . . :lol2
    lonegunm4n and Bigger Al like this.
  19. Coldstreak

Coldstreak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The dealer I bought my 2014.5 told me the same thing. The question to ask, which I didn't at that time, was how many miles do most of these bikes get? Let's face it, most people don't put many miles on their bikes. In that case, a bike with many years, but really low miles won't ever have a doohickey problem.

While we're on the subject, again, I guess I need to do the doo myself. I've got almost 8000 miles now and it's probably overdue, for the doo.
  20. Windborne11

Windborne11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2016 does exactly the same thing. Hey its a thumper. I put on a bigger 17t sprocket so the vibes don't happen at my preferred highway speed 60mph.
    Scooter Addict and lwood10 like this.