KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Bobk0

Bobk0 MacGyver Minded.

Oddometer:
    Seems to be the nature of the engine maybe. I may do a sprocket if I am planning a long trek just to keep my vision from vibrating.
  2. Rockman

Rockman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quick question - is there any difference between a gen 1 and gen 2 muffler? I have a gen 1 but the muffler fell off and is a bit dinged up from hitting the road. I can get a unused gen 2 muffler free so just need to know if it will fit.
  3. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put a gen 2 muffler on my gen 1 KLR.

I had to fiddle with the lateral offset for the front bolt. I.e washers for spacers.

Was very happy with the new quiet ride.
  4. lonegunm4n

lonegunm4n Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the IMS shifter worth it for $15? Found a guy selling one locally for a KLR. Used, but its an excellent shape.
  5. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:

About mid year 2010 Kawasaki finally added the cat they said came in the new Gen2 bikes in 2008. Still waiting for TPS and 6th gear they also said was coming on the Gen2 update. Those cat equipped mufflers are a bit heavier if you can imagine that lol.
  6. lwood10

lwood10 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like mine. Longer foot movement to get the gears to shift but necessary for the bigger boots I wear. I am referring to the +1 shifter.
  7. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:

I had to buy a new shifter last year; IIRC, the IMS got good reviews. Regardless, check and make sure the splines look good, the spring action is adequate, so on.

Best regards,
  8. v1vrsv650

v1vrsv650 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up a 2005 KLR last week after getting rid of my first one a few years ago. I'm so pumped. I'll finally be getting rid of my little RX3.

I finally got around to really wrenching on it today. I got the top end apart and I'm waiting on new shims to come in. I have all the parts for the doohickey and thermobob mods ready to go along with an LED headlight. On top of that, I have all the routine maintenance stuff to do as well.

I'm hoping to buy some warmer gear and ride this thing through the winter once she's ready.

I built a little spreadsheet for maintenance tracking. I track my mileage monthly which gets entered at the bottom below the gray area. This populates cell G1 which will highlight cells based on mileage and date that you enter in the maintenance log. The mileage cells should highlight orange within 100 miles and red if past due. The date cells highlight orange within 30 days and red if past due. I believe all the cells should be working and formatted correctly. I'm hoping to build a more advanced spreadsheet where I can open a prompt and enter information to track and automatically shift/add rows.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TOlRrpabcQeB9AjZtkLXGlZYqeeNuPNeGAtVGGgJJMA/edit?usp=sharing

IMG_20191110_102242.jpg
  9. EnduroRdr

EnduroRdr Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Formerly BR-LA, LR-AR, Houston-Tx, now South MS
    Yes, it is.
    Stocker was ok with regular shoes but the longer IMS is better when using boots.
    scout68 likes this.
  10. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on the IMS extended folding shifter. It allows my adventure riding boots to fit right under it without gymnastics
  11. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My KLR is using more oil after an oil change than I would hope for after a 1K miles. I know I need to rebuild it and put in a 685. I don’t think this is going to have any merit; however, I’m going to give it a try. My understanding is after about 1K miles oil sheer becomes a significant issue. I am going to try to supplement the additives in the oil. I am going to put in Lucas oil stabilizer after it starts burning oil. I phoned them and they recommended 5% as a ratio for wet clutches. As it continues to burn oil I am going to put in Valvoline 20w50 sae for motorcycles. This is an effort to add additional viscosity to the oil. I will do this till I get to 2K miles on the oil change and at that point I will begin the process again. We’ll see how it goes, but I’m more curious than optimistic.

Best regards,
    Scooter Addict and thechief86 like this.
  12. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FWIW...
    After reading about a quarter million (felt like it ) discussions surrounding this KLR oil usage/685/rebuild/nomore oil usage issue, I just started changing mine every 1000 miles. Rotella t4 is so inexpensive, and thought this seemed like some sort of good preventive practice to employ early on in the life of my '15. Granted, I don't take long highway trips on mine...I'm only 7700 miles on the clock...so we will see.
  13. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    DR guy back looking for help and hoping this thread is like the DR thread where it's OK to ask without searching first. My KLR owning friend needed to check his valve clearances. They were close but in spec so he started to put the valve cover back on when one of the bolts snapped. We were able to extract it from the cam journal cap and he ordered a new bolt because of course no one had bolts in stock. That was with his FT/lbs torque wrench "converting" to inch/lbs so OK that wasn't a great idea. Today, using my inch/lbs torque wrench the bolt on the other side has stripped out the cam journal cap. I'm at a loss why this happened but it did so the question is now that we're here how can it be repaired? Can we put a heli-coil in or is replacing the part the only way? If heli-coil is ok what size is the right one? Is this common or are we just special?

Edit
    Just checked the parts fiche and now I'm scarred these things don't have a part number. Can they be purchased separate from the head?
  14. EnduroRdr

EnduroRdr Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Formerly BR-LA, LR-AR, Houston-Tx, now South MS
    Maybe the bolt hole had oil in it?
    Oil will not compress and as a result will often strip the threads as the bolt tries to push down into the oil.

Best practice is to clean out the holes (flush with contact cleaner) then assemble dry.

Just a guess as to why the hole stripped.
  15. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't believe so, IIRC that part of the head is produced using a technique called line boring. You may be able to find someone who can put in coils or time serts; however, they must be extraordinarily precise. Other than that, a new head must be purchased. Sorry for your troubles....

Best regards,
  16. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow.
    Thankfully since the first post I've been informed it's the other bolts that go into the head not the camshaft journals. Having now searched the thread I see that isn't completely unheard of and have reached out to a local inmate with the tools and skills to fix it right. Thanks.
    flexiflyer and ZachM1 like this.
  17. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have broken a bolt with a torque wrench before and I was using correctly as well. I'm not sure if the wrench wasn't calibrated, perhaps I left it on a setting and put it up, maybe it just didn't work that day. I don't use them on small bolts anymore. I'll hand tighten bolts and when I use a ratchet, just gentle 1/16 or 1/8 turn bumps with a finger. YMMV....

Best regards,
    ZachM1 likes this.
  18. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah someone just said in another thread here that an uncalibrated wrench shouldn't be used closer than to the edge of it's range than 25% at either end. I generally use the 1/4" drive inch pound wrench very gently, gripping it mid way up the wrench. I wasn't there but I'm told it was ridiculously easy to strip these threads. This whole thing makes me thankful the DR has really easy access to the valves and they aren't generally too finicky about the quality of repairs :lol3 (picture courtesy of @cyberdos).
    [​IMG]
    flexiflyer likes this.
  19. Windborne11

Windborne11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can use a helicoil. Not too long ago I had a guy come in. He finally figured something was wrong after he snapped 3 of the 4. That torque is critical for accuracy and most people don't understand how tq wrenches are rated i.e. most are not accurate in the bottom 20% of the scale. That torque is so low that you really need a dedicated tq wrench for this application/range. I have a SnapOn brand but CDI Torque Products is the same at half the price. Use M6 1.00 so the factory bolt can be used.
    thechief86, ZachM1 and wheresbaoskee like this.