KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the helicoil size. I'll look into the cdi wrench as well.
  2. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Wow, never saw a 6mm bolt with that coarse of a thread. Most 6's are 1.0. Must be a special bolt.
    Klrian likes this.
  3. Scooter Addict

Scooter Addict Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have read on other forums that riders say that a “Thermobob” installed when fairly new, will help prevent oil usage. I don’t know if because the water temperature runs higher that the oil will reach operating temperature and help seat the rings better?
    Pollack likes this.
  4. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:

The thermo-bob is a good investment if you plan to have you bike on a long-term basis. I regret not putting one on when I was less experienced with the klr. My understanding is the a thermo-bob prevents less thermal stress on the cylinder wall by heating and cooling over a long period of time. I will likely put in a 685, thermo-bob, and new seat sometime next year.

Best regards,
    Bigger Al likes this.
  5. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll double check here in a bit. I have a klr engine torn down in the shop. My memory isn't what it used to be lol. Again, same size as existing factory bolt.

Uhg. Don't where I got 1.50 for M6 from. I edit my original post....M6 1.00
    2old2Bbold and SloSolo2 like this.
  6. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I kind of doubt if they even make a M6 X 1.50 helicoil. :D
  7. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Currently in Peru

BAE978C0-14C8-4703-BCFC-168E3EFF5A5B.jpeg
  8. phideaux

phideaux Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gen 1 with 685. I'm thinking of steeping up my gearing. What's the collective thought.....do I want to go 15T or 16T on the counter?
    Have I read somewhere that the 16T is just too close of a fit?

Fido:norton
  9. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Been thinking about the same thing. Since I bought a woods/single track bike I’m now mostly commuting on the KLR. Been wondering if 17 is too big a jump. Bought a 16, probably will just giv e it a try. Tim2wheels had a helpful video about this issue.....

Although that’s Gen 2 stuff
  10. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    15cs or 16cs fits great, no issues of any kind. With the 17cs you will need to make an adjustment. I pulled the stator wires more so on the outer edge of the engine case in between the plastic piece that covers the sprocket. Actually, it fits pretty good there. Regardless, I have 20K on the 17cs.

Best regards,
    scout68 likes this.
  11. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:

I topped off the oil with 4 oz of Lucas oil stabilizer and I'm going to hit the tarmc for a 100 miles to see what happens.

Best regards,
    thechief86 likes this.
  12. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:

The results were a little interesting. The oil consumption was cut in half for the 120 miles I road, and the engine did run a little smoother. Is it snake oil, not really. Is it necessary, not really. Will I continue to use it, probably....

Best regards,
    thechief86 and wheresbaoskee like this.
  13. Windborne11

Windborne11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put a 17T on to stop the vibration at 60 mph. It did that well, as it now revs 3700 rpm at 60 mph. Acceleration is still OK, but if you run into a stiff 30 mph headwind, dropping down to 4th is required, which pretty much puts you back to the same ratio as 5th with the 15T.
    scout68 likes this.
  14. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info, that helps for sure.
    Speaking of the KLR’s “OK” acceleration with the 17 in place....I recently made a bad mistake, a relationship-killer really. I rented an r1200gs adventure, again. A former fling had been repented of, but then I did It again. The power and acceleration were intoxicating. And when I made the standard mistake (KLR mistake , that is..) I make of looking to shift at 4500 rpms into a non existent 5th gear, to my utter surprise there WAS a 6th gear.

Now I need a GSA. Gotta get through Christmas first.
  15. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    I've got a GS. It's a great bike.

I'd still keep my KLR if I had to sell one.
    wheresbaoskee and DSchmidt7of7 like this.
  16. wheresbaoskee

wheresbaoskee Perpendicular to Everything

Oddometer:
    Not to rock the proverbial boat, but Yamaha just announced pricing and availability on the T7 for the US.

Kawasaki needs to hurry up and drop the competing bike I fully expect them to make. Stat.

I am in the market for a second bike in 2020, but that one will be 2nd hand and road/twisties focused - so they've got another 1-2 years on top of that before I am looking for another adv/ds ride. Or I might just get another G1 KLR without all of the wear/tear/issues that mine has, lol. I suppose time will tell, heh.
    Argentian and thechief86 like this.
  17. thechief86

Oddometer:
    I basically use the GS for commuting to work, and hauling the wife, and the occasional long road trip.
    Most camping trips are done on the KLR, and most joyrides end up happening on the KLR as well, as I
    tend to always find a dirt or gravel road, and prefer the KLR with knobbies for those events.
    wheresbaoskee likes this.
  18. wheresbaoskee

wheresbaoskee Perpendicular to Everything

Oddometer:
    I really wish I was more comfortable on dirt/gravel. Every time I take the KLR out beyond the hills between my place and the desert I want to go exploring.

In theory I'll have my health ins straightened out in 2020 (the single biggest reason I eschew the dirt riding for now), can put on some better tires for the desert terrain around here, and can start enjoying the KLR all proper-like.

But yeah, bike #2 current front runner is an 08'-'09 FZ6S in that mind-bending deep blue color. That'll take over commuting duties. I still find the KLR mildly terrifying in LA Freeway Traffic.
    thechief86 likes this.
  19. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm running a 16T on my Gen 1 with 685 kit, and it's a very good balance of highway versus backroads. It's too high for anything other than faster fire roads, when it comes to gravel. YMMV.
  20. thechief86

Oddometer:
    Once you do the 685 kit, is a higher cruising rpm acceptable? I've heard they don't vibrate as bad, and don't burn oil, so does that mean that one can cruise at say, 6k rpm?
    Asking because I'd love to keep my low end grunt, but would also like to cruise just a tad faster...
    sanders446 likes this.