KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    I'm so fackin tired of rain... yeah, it gets old.
    Canyon Man and BigFatAl like this.
  2. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear ya,I live in Seattle !!.
    Some parts of the PNW had 18” MORE than the previous record of rain since January 1st !!!.
  3. Gasket

Gasket Wandering Samurai Supporter

Oddometer:
    No kidding. I had my KLR serviced today, oil change, new tube for front tire and front brake pads. The young service crew were good enough to load the bike into the back of my pickup, which in itself was amazing to watch. I recall when I could move like that. In any event, I'm on my way to Death Valley on Friday, getting out of here during a break in the rain.
    DV Bound.jpg
  4. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m heading to Key West on Saturday for a week of warm sun !!.
    I’ve lived in Seattle for 56 years and this year the rain has really got to me !!.
    TonyKZ1, PlowHand, Canyon Man and 2 others like this.
  5. thechief86

Oddometer:
    20200212_165737.jpg I got the wheels back on my KLR last night, now rocking the Kenda Big Blocks without a tube in the rear. They look awesome!
    In the process of putting the wheels back on and adjusting chain slack, I noticed that the back if my engine is DRENCHED in oil! I've never really noticed this before, so I started looking really close to see if I could find a leak, or maybe even evidence that I had blown out the shock seals...
    And then I saw it. My crank case breather had been knocked loose when I hit the deer last year, and my crash bar bent in to push the kickstand switch over quite a bit.
    20200212_165153.jpg
    So I took a piece of pipe and a rubber mallet, and knocked the switch (bypassed long ago, but left on the bike) back over (tabs were bent), and used some real long needle nose pliers to put the hose back on the vent tube.
    Next time I get out on the bike, I'll pressure wash it at the car wash and re-lube my chain.
  6. nomion

nomion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    looks like it! I love everything you've got going on there. nice increments on the tank, that's a great way to do it. that gray color scheme is super slick. has a "technical vibe" to it, if that makes sense? at any rate, very smooth :rillalot's of inspiration there
    Dread likes this.
  7. Canyon Man

Canyon Man "60% of the time, it works all of the time"

Oddometer:
    Middle TN has gotten more rain than Seattle this year. How does that even happen? Have we offended the Gods down here?
    thechief86 likes this.
  8. Canyon Man

Oddometer:
    Chief,

Your new rubber looks sharp man!
    thechief86 likes this.
  9. thechief86

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I can't wait to try it out!
    Weekend is coming...
    Canyon Man likes this.
  10. ktjim

ktjim longtime n00b

Oddometer:
    Did valve clearance check yesterday on my 2012 with 105k miles.
    I am comparing these numbers with a check I did at 30k miles which was the only time I changed shims in this bike. I did do other checks at 52k and 70k. EM 685 kit at 52k.

30k miles- Feb 2016
    Left exhaust .009 -------Right exhaust .009
    " intake .007 -------- " intake .008

105k miles- Feb 2020
    Left exhaust .011 ------Right exhaust .008
    " intake .006 -------- " intake .008

Not sure what happened with the left exhaust but it was at .011 at 52k and 70k also.

I know that the KLR is known for holding clearances after a shim change but this is pretty impressive to me.
    Thought you might find this interesting.
  11. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    105k miles. That's just awesome! Amazing how stable the valve clearance has stayed. Good to know.

I too have a 685.
    thechief86 likes this.
  12. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    With air moving in and out of the breather, in the vicinity of the rear wheel, I am guessing you also got dirt into the motor too! Ouch!

Another reason I have not removed the 'snorkel' from the air box. Too close to the rear wheel.
    thechief86 likes this.
  13. thechief86

Oddometer:
    Yeah, because of this worry, my bike got a pint of ATF added, run for a few minutes, and a premature oil change, about 250 miles after the last oil change.
    I can't believe I never noticed a low oil level between 3,000 mile change inervals, checking before every ride.
    It has been like this for about 8 months and 7k miles :yikes
  14. nomion

nomion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    105k miles, that's awesome! those numbers speak to the reliability, very cool
  15. wheresbaoskee

wheresbaoskee Perpendicular to Everything

Oddometer:
    What's the benefit of running ATF through it? Asking for a noob, aka, me. :lol3

Was it actually running with low oil, or do you suspect the drain wasn't enough to bring the level to "low" between 3k changes?
  16. thechief86

Oddometer:
    I never had a low oil level between changes, as I would have expected. Just some oil on the outside of the motor to yucky it up real good.
    The ATF has a ton of detergent in it, and high enough viscosity to still act as oil for a short period of time. Makes a great internal engine cleaner.
    I did it in hopes that it may carry any trail gunk out the drain hole with it and spare my bearings and transmission guts.
    Canyon Man and wheresbaoskee like this.
  17. Canyon Man

Oddometer:
    Near 60 tomorrow in mid afternoon TN. Wheels up
  18. Canyon Man

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-2-14_17-32-19.gif upload_2020-2-14_17-32-19.gif
  19. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    As in 36632 above, the action of the piston through its strokes creates both pressure out and vacuum in allowing case to 'breathe' . Having an open breathe hole directly in front of the wheel, and all of its flung junk, out of which oil vapor was exhaled (the reason why C86 has all that oil junk back there), the possibility of it 'inhaling' abrasive dust into the case is high too.

There is also a 'snorkel' at the airbox intake that persons remove to help the box and carb 'breathe'. It is designed to inhibit dirt getting into the air box. I don't agree with removing it as it too is in front of and to the side of the rear wheel. What I did do and which remains, 2 1" holes in the top of the airbox under the seat remain.

Then too, there are those who swear by it and all sorts of box 'modifications' - all using their 'butt' dyno's. I went along some of that and the KLX needle etc route at about 5 k miles. Before 10K reverted back to all stock settings, except, a thin washer under the stock needle. Very happy with that from then 'till now approaching 103K miles. Many miles in the company of other KLR riders. No power differences I could see between the bikes (I guess if you are all riding at 7k rpms there would be a breathing difference?) and I always get/got at least a 10% better fuel economy than they did. All due to right hand differences? If changing out needles, jets and pipes is your thing, go for it!
    PlowHand likes this.
  20. NHTOTEROAD

NHTOTEROAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yikes. Here in central NH we’re forecasted to be 8 below f tomorrow morning.