KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. HI378

HI378 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all! I have a question about value; I bought a 1999 KLR 650 with 6K on the clock back in October. I bought it sight unseen because my buddy came across it in a friend's garage parked for years. Since October I fell and injured my knee and had my second knee replacement on June 1. I won't be riding fire trails or even gravel roads anymore and so the KLR may need to go. We (my buddy mostly) have replaced the chain, choke, and both tires and tubes with Continental TKC 80"s, rebuilt carb and calipers, grips, and flushed tank. The bike looks good although it appears to have been painted Garnet and has no decals. It also has a Supertrapp exhaust. But its basically untouched, unfarckled and would present a clean canvas for someone interested. My question is this; what's the value do you think? Apologies if I'm in the wrong thread for this and this isn't an ad, simply a discussion of worth.
  2. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    If it runs well, I'd say a maximum of $2500, and a minimum of $1200.
    Andyota and Bigger Al like this.
  3. thechief86

Oddometer:
    So today I pulled my tank off and dove into this mess. I was not aware that the weep hole below the thermostat was the plug well drain, but rather thought the void between the cam saddle castings was what you were referring to. Needless to say, that little hole was stopped up GOOD.
    About an hour with different gauges of baling wire and a full can of brake cleaner, and I pulled out several round plugs that were rock hard, about 8mm long, and looked like solid rust, like they were pieces of a 16 penny nail found in the yard after a decade and then cut up with a die grinder.
    I finally got all that crap out, and got my plug well clean around the plug, and good drainage, and installed a new plug while I was at it, even though this one was only a few months old.
    I imagine my rainy day/ carwash issues are solved for now, at least until it gets stopped up again.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I really need to know I can depend on this bike, as I get further from any type of help on this bike than with anything else, and a breakdown in the wrong place could start a chain of events that could bring my adventuring to a grisly end. (Don't mean to sound dramatic, but, you know what I mean)
  4. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't quite understand, what hole did you get all that stuff out of?

Best regards,
  5. blender

blender Just another rider

Oddometer:
    Kelly BB says $2240, NADA says excellent $1930 down to $685 for Good. If it's actually running well that will help, but you do have a 20 yo bike with 30+ yo technology.
    thechief86 likes this.
  6. thechief86

Oddometer:
    Directly beneath this thermostat housing is a hole about 4mm wide, that goes straight into the spark plug well in the head. Mine was stopped up and was quite a chore to get cleaned out, presumably from mud with a high iron content being repeatedly caked and baked from heat cycling and lots of offroad riding in the moist and humid climate of Tennesee and surrounding states.
    I had assumed that passage was a weep hole for a failed thermostat or something, like when a water pump on a car has a failed shaft seal.
    Sorry I didn't get an actual photo of the hole, I just had this photo from earlier when I was showing a buddy where the thermostat was.

Attached Files:

Bigger Al and Pollack like this.
  7. Nikolya

Nikolya Rider

Oddometer:
    Got 2011 KLR with only 2K miles. Great condition with nice farkles. Today I found some signs on engine cases. Any ideas what it can be? Engine rebuild?

20200630_212238.jpg
  8. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    I've found similar markings on my '09. I've always chalked it up to something during the build process in the factory.
    Bigger Al likes this.
  9. greenmtndave

greenmtndave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So Kawasaki advises that they will launch their new 2021 models on July 7th. What are the odd's on a refreshed KLR?
    Stubanger likes this.
  10. HI378

HI378 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I checked Kelly BB and the thing is, that's often way off based on lots of things like mileage and desirability. I don't think I have a Norton Commando but I was curious what the KLR community thought. One thing that's offputting on dual sports is some of the farkles, and I myself prefer a stock bike so I can know what has been done and how well. As far as the running well, it does and the fenders tank and frame are pristine.
  11. thechief86

Oddometer:
    You have to keep in mind that the entire reason a KLR is desirable is because they are cheap. You can ask 10 grand for it as a pristine survivor, but the guy who is considering a used 1st gen KLR purchase is looking at the bikes under $3k.
    I got my 2006 in pristine condition with 9k miles for about $2k, and at 24k miles or so I wrecked it. Insurance paid me $2200 for it, after claiming $3k worth of upgrades.
    I fixed the damage after this "total loss" and have continued upgrading it, and now it may be worth $800.
    But I wouldn't sell it for $5k, because I'm very close to having it how I want it.
    If you don't like the $2500 assessment, price it at $4500 to start out. You can always adjust the price to get it sold.
    I didn't mean to offend you, but you wanted an unbiased value, and I gave you a range.
    My opinion does not matter, because I'm a stranger on the internet, and I'm not trying to buy your bike. But that range is what you can expect to see.
    Stubanger, ZachM1 and Bigger Al like this.
  12. HI378

HI378 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, and I hope I didn't sound snarky or offended. The thing is, I had within about three years two 2005 Triumph Tigerswith about 40k on both. I sold both, one well above KBB because it was racing green and pristine and the other a little more than KBB. Bikes are just a little different than cars. I was hoping somebody would tell me the 99 was desirable for some obscure KLR lovers reason but I originally bought it for me because of the miles and no mods. But $25-2800 was where I was planning on starting and if it doesn't sell fast maybe my knees will improve.
    RunninRanger, ktjim and thechief86 like this.
  13. thechief86

Oddometer:
    I hope your knees improve whether you sell your KLR or not. But yeah, I'd start a few hundred over what you actually hope to get, and just be patient. Someone will probably want it badly enough to pay for it.
    I would reccomend that you replace your doohickey and spring whether you keep the bike or not, because it's a pretty easy upgrade, and inexpensive, and can be the difference between selling the bike or not, especially if
    the potential buyer has done any research on KLRs before buying. The first topic you will find when you google "KLR Problems" will be the doohickey, and it is enough to scare away the uninitiated.
    Not to mention if you keep the bike, the doohickey might fail and ruin your bike anyway.
    ZachM1 likes this.
  14. Fixnfly

Fixnfly Not found on the book of faces

Oddometer:
    My ‘15 has those also.
    And similar graffiti in other places.
    I’m kinda surprised they are allowed to leave the factory like that.
  15. Nikolya

Nikolya Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I thought maybe I got a problem bike. If it's normal then it's great!
  16. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't hold my breath. My bet is that Kawi is considering something along the lines of the T7, using the Versys platform, but I wouldn't bet too much on that either.
    ZachM1 likes this.
  17. mrchristian

mrchristian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got a new to me KLR - 2009 for cheap. Didn't run. Pushed down the spark plug and it would run on choke. Pulled the carb and cleaned the pilot - ran better but still idled badly. Pulled the carb again and inspected the pilot circuit, when shooting cleaner through it it came out the front - looks like it was missing the screw. $20 eBay adjustable one (had to stretch the spring to get it to stay put but whatever...still works) and it hums nicely. Other than that it's almost 100% stock.

It's an oil burner, I know it's not going to be perfect. I've read you can reduce the oil consumption a bit with a check valve in the crankcase breather. Seems unnecessary, I'd rather just stick a K&N filter on the crankcase like a dirt bike, plug up the drain on the airbox with a vaccuum cap and call it good. Anyone done this and noticed a difference? Offhand, anyone knows what size the crankcase hose is so I can throw a slipon filter on?

I know its probably wishful thinking that I'll "cure" the oil burning but it's worth sticking an $11 filter on just in case it does do something.
  18. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is a scam made popular back in 08-09. It does nothing for the oil consumption. Don't waste your money on wishfull thinking. Many of us tried it - no benefits seen - a waste of time and energy!

The oil consumption is piston and ring related, period. Change them and you will be good. Best is to go the 685 kit from EMike. No oil consumption, no matter how far and fast you ride and smoother and the JE forged piston is a work of art.

Edit: the 08-09 rings had a wall pressure of about 3-4lbs. These would flutter at higher revs causing the oil usage (Corvettes also had that issue). The JE piston has a pressure of 11lbs.
    Stubanger, ZachM1, Bigger Al and 2 others like this.
  19. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    The oil is getting past the rings because of a non-round cylinder bore and less than optimal piston/ring design. Crankcase breather valve won't do a thing.
    The only solution is to re-build the cylinder/piston/rings; best solution is the EM 685 kit , and then you'll wonder why you waited so long to do it.
    ZachM1 and Bigger Al like this.
  20. mrchristian

mrchristian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I figured as much. I was thinking maybe oil vapor was getting sucked in and burned of something. IDK. I'll just keep topping it up probably. Don't want to spend $1000 on a cheap bike when some 20W50 off Amazon will do the trick.
    MC_Collector likes this.