1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. laurient

laurient Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    11fc and 11fc+ due to doing the wheels on different days and stock at the store

rear 11fc ............................. front 11fc+
    DSC00219 copy.JPG DSC00336 copy.JPG

The front did leak a little around one spoke so i marked that point unfitted the tyre and put a little more sika there and re fitted , the air pressure pushed it into the hole and sealed it
    ZachM1 and thechief86 like this.
  2. laurient

Oddometer:
    I have been thinking , as i ride alone mostly and i like quiet dirt roads " plus not getting any younger "
    What would happen if i fell over ? sprained ankle / wrist ? so how would i pick my bike up ?
    Courtesy of a you tube video , build a bike jack that i could carry with me .
    DSC00753.JPG DSC00756.JPG DSC00755.JPG
    Will need to modify the foot a little and its lighter than the video one but its only an emergency tool and the bike is heavy enough .
    video link
    RunninRanger and thechief86 like this.
  3. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    I don't understand how you'd transition from the bike lift (at max lifting range) to hands on. It seems that you are the only thing stabilizing the "lift" as it's not anchored in the ground nor to an object. I understand it gets the bike to a 20-30 degree angle and then the ratchet strap spool is full. Kind of the same angle as panniers would have it at. But then how do you run around to grab it to right it the rest of the way? The video did not show that part.

Am I under/overthinking this?

Edit* I watched it again... I believe I am correct. So the bike is at an angle, music is playing, then if the dude would have to lunge for the bike facing it, and grab it before the stand topples over. IDK... I'm not seeing it working.
  4. ZachM1

ZachM1 I'm a meat popsicle

Oddometer:
    Here's the basic design of the one I carry in "operation". Not the best video, but you get the idea. Not my video.

5. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    From DirtNapper experience: Ratchet strap, pulled from the spool sufficiently and anchored with minimum slack (may need to be shortened by looping/wrapping on anchor end to create effective length), lifts bikes fully vertical. At least, on KTM690 R and KTM1290 SA. (Please, don't ask me how I know this! :lol2)
    RunninRanger and ZachM1 like this.
  6. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I guess I can see it now. The stability thing was hard for me to figure out. I just figured I'd use this...

Attached Files:

7. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    Canyon Man, Bigger Al and Hannda like this.
  8. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
  9. salty_monk

salty_monk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool thanks! Any thoughts on mileage that you'll get out of them? Compare them to anything similar on / off road?
    ZachM1 likes this.
  10. sgroover

sgroover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that 1/2" or 3/4" steel pipe?
  11. laurient

Oddometer:
    15mm or 0.59 of an inch so 1/2 would be closest , due to size and weight . All the steel except the foot should fit inside a 2 inch tube .
  12. FlatlandKSBrett

FlatlandKSBrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. thechief86

Oddometer:
    Thanks man! I'm back home now, just trying to document the trip and post pics as I can.
    Canyon Man, Hannda and Bigger Al like this.
  14. 300man

300man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally got a registration and plate in the mail on Monday for my new to me 06 KLR! Got it inspected today at the local MC shop. The bike is ready to go and so am I. I did a lot of general service work:

Engine oil/filter
    Air Filter
    Brakes F/R
    Fork seals/oil
    Greased shock linkage
    New rear tire and HD tube

Also installed foot peg lowering brackets and readjusted brake pedal/shifter. Removed the passenger pegs. It has progressive fork springs and I put fresh 15w fork oil at 180mm air gap. Set shock preload at #4 position (I am 190 pounds) and damping adjuster at #1 position.

Have ridden about 100 miles in the past 2 days and the bike runs good. It just chugs along, no drama, seems stable and right at home on a mix of back road/dirt road. Seems it will cruise along at 55mph in top gear at 3500rpm (16 tooth CS sprocket) all day if needed. The Temp gage while cruising back roads (30+ MPH) stays just to the left of the center mark. In dirt road sections with slightly more load on the motor the temp gage in dead center on the mark. I pulled over to the side after a dirt road section and the fan did come on. It was a hot day near 90 so i think this is normal.

Have not been able to get it in any rough/rocky washed out dirt road or two track but will soon enough.
    Canyon Man, Hannda, Fixnfly and 3 others like this.
  15. thechief86

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you got yerself a good solid bike! My 2006 has been a lot of fun and has been tough through several years of use and abuse, and still takes me places I've dreamed of going since I was a kid.
  16. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So today I took out the KLR for a little bit and I noticed something strange. I was standing flat foot at a light, I never stand flat foot. I have a Progressive 465 with about 20K on it. Evidently it needs serviced as it is starting to soften. Does it just need a recharge or is it likely something internal needs addressed? I called them and they said they would start services shocks again for $90 + parts; however, with plandemic they are not able to at this time. They did offer to send parts as well if I knew what I needed. Thanks....

Best regards,
    gpfan likes this.
  17. thechief86

Oddometer:
    That is odd. If it isn't leaking oil, I'd look first at the spring preload. The spring is what actually holds up weight, and I wouldn't think a good quality progressive spring would clap out in just 20k miles?
    Have you been eating more than usual?
    Lol.
    If it has a threaded adjuster, I could be convinced it just backed off over the miles and isn't supporting as well just by way of being maladjusted.
    gpfan, Pollack and Bigger Al like this.
  18. Mw650

Mw650 Bob

Oddometer:
    Not sure if anyone else has had issues with a bike outside for a long time and water getting into the ignition switch and causing a power drain. But my solution.

Attached Files:

papa al likes this.
  19. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I checked it and the threaded adjuster was loose, I am bit surprised.... It sure backed-up rather quickly....

Best regards,
    lwood10 and thechief86 like this.
  20. thechief86

Oddometer:
    The one on my Elka unit has an Allen grubscrew in the adjuster ring to keep it from backing off. Check for one of those, if it isn't there you could always remove the ring, and drill and tap, then install a grub screw to tighten down and hold your adjuster ring in place. Or loctite is still a thing...
    gpfan and Pollack like this.