1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. laurient

laurient Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That will do it . I reckon a tarp or bike cover would be better though .
    baldman1 likes this.
  2. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife just asked, as I "straightened up" our storage shed, "WHY are you keeping those old inner tubes?"

You, Mw650, have now provided the answer to that question! :lol2

(And, you offer some cover for my limited justification/defense, "It's not just ME!")
  3. 300man

300man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My new to me 2006 KLR 650 came with a K & N air filter which I have cleaned and re-oiled with there recommended oil. I also purchased a UNI foam filter. But I am guessing that there is a OEM cage that needs to be used with the UNI? I will try to find a OEM parts exploded view to answer my question. But if anyone knows and wants to post about it, please do.

EDIT: Found what I was looking for. I will order up a cage and then switch to the UNI.
    Bigger Al likes this.
  4. Mw650

Mw650 Bob

Oddometer:
    Sounds just like my 2001 klr when I got it. Had a k&n filter. I switched to a uni and had to order a cage. The k&n is nice but for off road would need a secondary filter on top of it.
    Pollack likes this.
  5. Mw650

Mw650 Bob

Oddometer:
    Almost have my dash finished 20200724_115126.jpg
  6. Mw650

Mw650 Bob

Oddometer:
    Painted and mounted. A 12v outlet lower rt. Will have a watch mounted in the middle that has the indiglow feature and straps removed. Space for any switches needed. 20200724_143816.jpg
    tac650, RunninRanger, Hannda and 6 others like this.
  7. Canyon Man

Canyon Man "60% of the time, it works every time" Mr. Fantana

Oddometer:
    A little creek hopping fun in southern middle TN. Saw some pet Elk too. Laid it down once :muutt. Jumped it once :super. Bent my shift lever, which was quickly bent back by my trusty "rock in hand" tool :rilla . It had a been while since I could a dedicate a whole day to riding. Man did I need it! Spent the evening limping around smiling like a little kid :D. b1.jpg b2.jpg b3.jpg b4.jpg b5.jpg b6.jpg b7.jpg b8.jpg b9.jpg b12.jpg
    clogan, MatBirch, snake89 and 15 others like this.
  8. patrkbukly

patrkbukly Life at 10,000 feet Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. 300man

300man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How much fork spring preload?

I have a 2006 KLR 650 with progressive springs in the forks. They were in there when I purchased the bike. I do not know exactly what model Progressives they are.

When servicing the forks the preload spacers measured 2 5/8 inches. With the forks completely extended the spacers were sticking out about 15 - 17mm above the top of the fork.

I am 190 pounds and have the pre load on the shock at #4. When I hold the front brake and sit on the bike the back settles quite a bit more then the front of the bike.

Also while riding the front end pushes in corners on gravel... I am tempted to cut down the preload spaces in order to get the front end to settle a bit more and eliminate the push.

Has anyone experienced the some front push offroad or on gravel with the progressives?
  10. RunninRanger

RunninRanger Rainy day Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Call Todd at Cogent Dynamics. He builds shocks for KLR650s. He is an expert and a very friendly guy.
  11. RunninRanger

RunninRanger Rainy day Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finished the installation of my Cogent Dynamics upgrades to both the front suspension with their DDC valves, springs, spacers and pre-load caps. As for the rear suspension, I added the Moab shock. I just got back from a shakedown ride that went over corduroy/wash-board dirt roads full of pot-holes then some muddy single track with jumps and baby-head boulders. All I can say is the ride was plush. You barely notice the corduroy. Pot holes feel like what the washboard stuff used to feel like! I can ride so much faster because it's so much smoother. Jumps that take me 2 to 3 feet off the ground end with smooth touchdowns. No bottoming out. If your looking to bring your ol' KLR into the 21st century with a ride as supple as that "Orange" brand, here's your sign;
    COGENT DYNAMICS. Like everything else in this world, they are fairly expensive. $1217.64 for what I out on, shipped to me. Great instructions and videos are found online. See Mason.adv for his rendition and thoughts on the subject. Curious? Simply call Todd. Great guy. Great business. Great product. Ok..the commercial is over. 20200726_120751.jpg 20200726_120757.jpg 20200726_120806.jpg
    AzMtnThumper, NC Rick, tac650 and 4 others like this.
  12. Canyon Man

Canyon Man "60% of the time, it works every time" Mr. Fantana

Oddometer:
    I believe I would like that set up a lot. Running stock suspension all the way around on my 2017. For street riding, I have no complaints. For off road or dirt/gravel road, it sure beats the old bone bag a bit. This set up just made my list. However, I have another bike I wanna buy on "my list", so swanky suspension on the KLR will have to wait a bit.
    thechief86 and RunninRanger like this.
  13. MOTOS and TACOS

MOTOS and TACOS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is a lot of preload. I just put the Cogent springs and DDCs in my forks and they say you should have 3-5mm sticking out the top when fully extended. I didn't measure front sag on mine but it feels good.
  14. theofam

theofam Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I need help identifying the manufacturer of these crash bars. I bought them in the Flea Market. PO claimed they were Happy Trails, so I went there for replacement highway pegs. Happy Trails claims it's not its product. Doesn't match SW-Motech or Dirtracks either. Ideas?

Crash Bars Before Powdercoat.jpg
  15. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    I've always thought those were the happy-trail ones. Seen them on quite a few bikes...
    Bigger Al likes this.
  16. theofam

Oddometer:
    Me, too. HT says "no," though. Anyone else?
  17. ZachM1

ZachM1 I'm a meat popsicle

Oddometer:
    Canyon Man, gpfan and thechief86 like this.
  18. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    ZachM1 likes this.
  19. ZachM1

ZachM1 I'm a meat popsicle

Oddometer:
    Same on my 03 except the part between the highway pegs looked like @theofam vs the picture on their website.

I'm pretty sure what I had and @theofam have is an earlier version. Never seen another manufacturer copy this design before.
  20. theofam

Oddometer:
    @thechief86 and @ZachM1 - could be the guy I emailed with at Happy Trails is newer and unaware of previous engine guard (EG) versions (like shown in my pic versus the round holes currently on HT's site). I hoped, given the current version of HT's engine guard is EG4, that I could just search EG2 and EG1 for pics or specs, but my Google Fu is weak. Best I can tell, EG3 used the same round holes on the engine guard.

My aim is to replace my busted-up highway pegs. Now that the guards are freshly powdercoated, the old pegs won't do. I'll just order HT's old EG3 pegs and hope they fit. Thanks for weighing in!
    Andyota and ZachM1 like this.