1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I was going to ask less than half that. Good thing I checked. I'm going to ask less than you suggest hoping it goes quickly.
  2. Mw650

Mw650 Bob

Oddometer:

Who's saying the klr can only do 50% of that. Ok maybe im nuts cause I'd definitely do that all if not 3/4 and try the last 1/4
    Canyon Man, thechief86 and Andyota like this.
  3. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We look forward to YOUR video, Mw650!

:lol2
  4. Mw650

Mw650 Bob

Oddometer:
    Time to invest in a go pro or equivalent.....ohhh wait klr riders are cheap. Ok I'll make one out of a magnifying glass, paper clips
  5. Mw650

Mw650 Bob

Oddometer:
    and the laughing emoji is proper as i try it all and dump the bike but id still pick it up and try again all the while having a blast at it.
  6. craigr652

craigr652 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in need of an OEM kickstand, original length. Please PM if anyone has one laying around.
  7. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gen 1 or Gen 2? They are different.
  8. craigr652

craigr652 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gen 2, IDK if they are different.
  9. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    I don't even ride that well in my dreams. Wow.
    Canyon Man and thechief86 like this.
  10. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    They are different. Pre 08 are straight. Post 08 are curved.

If you have not found one, there a post 08 on Ebay for about $49
    Hannda and craigr652 like this.
  11. clogan

clogan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, Canyonman:
    I'm new to middle TN, would love to ride that section in your pics. Can you tell us the name of the road? I'm in Rockvale area, near Murfreesboro. Thanks!
    Canyon Man likes this.
  12. AdvNuma

AdvNuma Long Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have to stay close to home today because of a work commitment later in the day. Played around this morning with a FLIR infrared camera and took some shots of my KLR. These photos were taken while warming up the motor of the bike sitting in my driveway.

The resulting images aren't very big as the FLIR camera has a limited pixel sensor, but I think the photos are interesting. The temperature in the upper left hand corner of the image is the temperature reading from the circle in the middle of the photo.

Left side of the KLR 650

Left side KLR.jpg

Right side of KLR with circle on exhaust

Right side KLR.jpg

I also took some Infrared photos of the engine of my BMW R1200 GS Adventure. If you want to see them, they're the most recent post in my Eighteen Years In The Making thread. A hyperlink to that thread appears in my signature line below.

Numa
  13. Bruce curtis

Bruce curtis Indi scot

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for advice and guidance about replacing spokes.
    I persuaded a main dealer to split a pack, bought both sizes of front spoke and a nipple for under £10, and set to work.
    I copied the pattern of lacing on the wheel, and set the spoke into the hub. Then I removed the air, used the side stand to break the bead , and a teaspoon to lift the rubber spoke protector.
    Out popped the nipple, in went the new one, tightened with crosshead then tuned with 6mm spanner.
    I’d been dreading that job for weeks! Piece o’ pish! Thought I’d have to take the tyre off’n everything.
    Walk in the park!
    Now just have to swap the wheels over.
    And hope it passes the ministry of transport safety inspection on Wednesday!
    It’s magic having the back up of you guys on this forum, especially with so few klr’s over here.
    Grinnin, PlowHand, thechief86 and 4 others like this.
  14. Canyon Man

Canyon Man "60% of the time, it works every time" Mr. Fantana

Oddometer:
    Yes Sir! It's called the TN Dirt Devil, 200 miles of gravel, some dirt, creeks, and some asphalt. There is a thread on here that has some links to maps, routes, etc.
    Go to: https://advrider.com/f/threads/tn-dirt-devil-riders.1015254/ also, https://tndirtdevil.com/
    I live out there, so I can just go and hit the the parts that I feel like I doing. It spans through Southern Williamson, Maury, and Hickman counties. DM me if you're ever headed this way, if I'm free, I'll join ya.
    thechief86, ZachM1 and Hannda like this.
  15. miksail

miksail Adventurer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, don't laugh, but I just removed the wheels on my 2012 KLR and put them back on for the first time since buying the bike new. Not being the most mechanically inclined person, I always had a shop change my tires before this. I followed the instructions in my copy of the Clymer manual but have some misgivings about the rear wheel install. The manual says to insert the axle, put on the crown nut and FINGER TIGHTEN, then apply the cotter pin. No instruction to tighten to a certain torque. Since every other nut and bolt I've dared to work with has had a torque specified, this really threw me.
    Can this be correct?
  16. sanders446

sanders446 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the clymer the torque specs for the rear wheel is on a different page, which is confusing. The torque for the rear axle should be 72 ft lbs.
    Hannda and thechief86 like this.
  17. miksail

Oddometer:
    sanders 446 THANK YOU!
    Hannda likes this.
  18. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The, "FINGER TIGHTEN" phase might be for permitting the axle to move fore and aft only while the chain slack is adjusted. After the chain is adjusted, sanders446 shares the appropriate data. After torquing, THEN apply the Cotter pin!

BTW, didn't laugh at all. Good catch; you found a slip-up the Clymer manual editor missed!
    buckthedog, ZachM1 and Canyon Man like this.
  19. miksail

Oddometer:
    Thanks, XDragRacer. After getting sanders446 reply I have now examined the pages before and after the 'finger tight' instruction several times and there is nowhere, in my copy, that shows a torque spec for the rear axle. Even the chart at the end of the chapter that lists torque settings for everything else omits the torque for the rear axle. Thank goodness for folks on this forum who are willing to help!
    Hannda, Canyon Man and ZachM1 like this.
  20. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    May be time for a new copy of the Clymer manual........

F55DB1E2-583C-4943-BDDA-2C144CA52B7A.jpeg