1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. smokediver3

smokediver3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Recently did a little maintenance on the 2 wheeled tractor. Swapped my rear tire over to a Shinko 805 from the 705 I had run for years, also went through the carb since I was having a stutter issue at speed & under load. Stayed with the stock jetting, did the $.22 mod, but didn't drill the slide. The carb has the externally adjustable air needle, so I went 2.5 turns out. I also swapped out the choke cable for the brass number. So far I'm happy with the tire choice(still considering swapping out to the 21" front tire), the carb work was much needed too. Between the air screw & shimming the needle, I no longer have the popping & such on decel & it feels(by the butt dyno) to be much more linear with the few precious HP that it makes. Now to get off my a$$ and get my other bodywork scuffed,primed & painted!

Attached Files:

2. miksail

miksail Adventurer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    As soon as I saw the photo of your page 214, HWD, I ran and got mine to compare. They look the same except mine does not have step i. And on page 229, where all the other torque values for the front and rear axles are in a chart, there is no listing for the rear axle nut. My copy is second edition, printed in 2012. I guess I'll go looking for a later printing! Hmmm, what other mistakes do you suppose could be in there?
  3. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Hard to figure! I definitely would get the latest edition based on what you’re (not) seeing.
  4. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Of the two manuals that I have, rear wheel nut torque values; 2003 Clymer's, page 248 - 78nm or 69ft lbs. 2007 Kawa Service Manual (for my 2008) , section 10- 3, 98nm or 72ft lbs.

In the 104K miles on the bike I have never used a torque wrench on the rear axle and had no issues after servicing, changing tires, adjusting the chain or on the road. Using the stock bikes wrenches, a snug tightening seems to have done the job for me. It could be due to a calibrated elbow?

Here is an issue needing noting. At 95K miles I noticed that the sprocket coupling bearing, the 3rd in the rear wheel assembly appeared lose allowing the rear sprocket to wobble a little side to side. The bearing itself was still good, but the casting that holds the rear sprocket and bearing had worn allowing the bearing to become loose in it. I have over time seen several of those couplings and bearings destroy themselves and the rear hub in bikes. I replaced the coupling with a new one and installed a new fully seal bearing. Some might misplace the loose bearing in its mounting with a worn rubber damper insert.
  5. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Picked up a KLR today. The PO believed it could possibly need some serious work because it had white smoke after it warmed up. The price was right and I figured it may just need a head gasket.

Grabbed it and brought it home, it doesn't smoke at start up but does smoke a bit after it warms up. I can't smell any anti-freeze.

Starts fine and rides okay.

Going to check the oil for anti-freeze and the anti-freeze for oil. Do a compression check etc. Anything else to check?
    Canyon Man and VACommuter like this.
  6. RunninRanger

RunninRanger Rainy day Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    B.E. Coyote
    It seems your on top of things. The smoking related issues could be related to numerous things. Ride it for awhile. Most things on these ol' tractors will reveal themselves. Re-tourque the exhaust bolts at the head and junction under the air-box. Run it for a several hour run. Carb issues, smoking issues while will either arise or can be dismissed.
    Congratulations and welcome to the pack.
    Canyon Man, ZachM1 and patrkbukly like this.
  7. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mind the KACR; disabling the Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release will produce a reading more useful than with leaving the KACR intact, IMHO. Factory range of "acceptable" readings quite broad. Leak-down test might give even better indication of engine health.
  8. Windborne11

Windborne11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have found that white smoke is usually caused by coolant leaking through the head gasket into the cylinder. However when it gets hot, you should be able to smell it out the exhaust.
    If it is in fact leaking, a teardown should be in the immediate future, as most coolant contains abrasives and will wear out your motor.
  9. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How is your oil consumption? On gen 2s you can see the radiator fluid level through a small window on the left when facing the front of the motorcycle. Not sure about gen 1s or what you have. If it were mine I would keep on eye on those and go from there..... YMMV...….

Best regards,
    Grinnin likes this.
  10. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    On gen 1s you can see through a slot on the front cover to a plastic bottle turned opaque by age and dirt.

At least mine was never clear enough to see coolant.
    Bruce curtis and Argentian like this.
  11. B.E. Coyote

Oddometer:
    I have ridden this bike about 100 yards. No coolant in the oil. No oil in the coolant.

Doesn't seem to have any smoke until it warms up enough to open the T stat.

Guess it is time to pull the head, Thinking I should hold off on oerdering the head gasket. Might do the 685 kit.
  12. kf7ja

kf7ja Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You will like the 685!
    Smoother, no oil use. Add the KLX needle.
    Hannda likes this.
  13. B.E. Coyote

Oddometer:
    So....... messing around with it today.

1 No oil in the coolant.
    2 No coolant in the oil
    3. Compression with klacr 150#
    4. Compression with valve cover off and klacr disabled a little over 200#
    5. Plug extremely carboned.
    [​IMG]

Smoke only starts after it warms up but doesn't smell like coolant to me. Good compresssion.

Could it just be running really rich? My first thought was coolant because it doesn't start till its warm enough to open the T stat. HF leak down tester is $80 which I would rather not spend and none of the chain auto stores have them as loaners here.

Any next steps? I might pull apart the carb to see if it has stock jets. If it was running rich it would smoke right on start up, correct?
  14. Windborne11

Oddometer:
    My nagging question is the color of the smoke?? Oil and carb richness both cause BLACK smoke. Carb richness you will hear the engine stumble and run rough. I ran into this problem once before on a Kawi 650 atv, the issue was WATER in the exhaust............. When the guy power washed the machine he filled the exhaust with water, and when the exhaust got hot, the water turned to white steam.................
    Drain the exhaust.................
    Hannda and ktjim like this.
  15. B.E. Coyote

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan, anything that I can test for free!
    Hannda and ktjim like this.
  16. B.E. Coyote

Oddometer:
    ok, pulled the muffler and no water. All three drain bolts broke off. drilled one out. Nothing, blew 100psi of air into it, nothing.

Here is a video of the smoke before I started pulling things apart. This is inside my garage. If I was outdoors riding I'm not sure I would have noticed it. The previous owner told me about the issue and heavily discounted the bike because of it. About a year ago he paid a reputable inmate to do the valves and some carb adjustments.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  17. Windborne11

Oddometer:
    Any chance there is too much oil in the motor??
  18. B.E. Coyote

Oddometer:
    Nope, if anything it was a little low when I bought it. I drained it and refilled with fresh to the proper level.

Is the smoke in the video a concern?
  19. Windborne11

Oddometer:
    If its smoking like that at idle, I can imagine what its like on the highway??
    B.E. Coyote likes this.
  20. Windborne11

Oddometer:
    Did you pull the airfilter and check the airbox, maybe full of oil??
    patrkbukly likes this.