1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Well, at least, they didn't get the right and the left halves mixed up with any other engine's! :lol2
  2. Munmi4

Munmi4 Munmi

Oddometer:
    Stock air filter. When I removed it, I could that is was loaded so I took extra care in removing it. When I saw the mess of the screen, I went back to inspect the filter. I could see not any areas that may have been compromised or damaged. My current plan, when I can get back to working on the bike, is to remove carb then clean the screen with a spray cleaner and compressed air.
    Bakfarht and ZachM1 like this.
  3. CliffElam

CliffElam OldN00b

Oddometer:
    Why is that so clean? I thought removing dirt broke these things?
  4. Munmi4

Munmi4 Munmi

Oddometer:
    All electrics work fine. The engine runs, seems to idle OK but roll on the throttle and all sputter and burp. At first I thought I had miscalculated my mileage and need to switch to reserve. That didn't help so turned petcock back to run....no change.
    Hoping to get some shop time Monday and dig a little deeper. Thanks for the list of troubleshooting steps.
  5. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Carburetor diaphragm intact (no holes), properly mounted? Diaphragm air leak can cause symptoms described.
    baldman1 and ZachM1 like this.
  6. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine did the same thing for a good while. I thought it was electrical at first, and I fixed the side stand bypass & clutch switch. I needed to replace the fuel line and at the same time I put in a slightly larger pilot jet and I put in a smaller main jet. The main jet was for mpg and the pilot jet was for a 17 T CS and intermittent stumbles. I cleaned the carb and inspected the diaphragm. I probably need to replace it as it looked worn and didn't seat just right. The stumbles became less prevalent and after a couple days of being run hard it went away. Just my experience, ymmv.....
  7. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    Those little holes in the jet can get clogged and its VERY hard to see...at least for my eyeballs. I've found guitar string is awesome at cleaning it out.

I'd listen to any advice XDragRacer says. I've learned a lot from that guy and some others here. They've mentored me and never even knew it!!!

BTW, as the great Bob Dylan said..."The times, they are a changin' " I've listed my 03 in the flea market. It's really been/is a great bike, and I've put on about 500 miles this week, but reality dictates that my riding is more sport-tour-y and less adventure-y, and with Covid (my wife and I are both RN's so we've been full out for a while now) 2 kids in college and more new grandkids (not from the college kids:-)) I need something faster, smoother and more comfy for 2 up. I dearly miss my old Bandit 1250. So for all you lurkers, here's your chance to be "one of us."
  8. Bakfarht

Bakfarht Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya these carburated thumpers needs their air flow. Biggest things I've found that affect performed are good air flow, a clean carb, and top her up with T4.
    patrkbukly and buckthedog like this.
  9. Bakfarht

Oddometer:
  10. lonegunm4n

lonegunm4n Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Factory paint markings during assembly. My '07 has a bunch of them too. All the KLRs have had them at some point in time, but most have either faded away or been washed away (be it by soap and water or mud/creek baths).
  11. lonegunm4n

Oddometer:
    I finally replaced the front tube on my KLR. Stock Dunlop tire.

I was surprised at how easy it was. I've replaced tires/tubes on my CT90 before, which was a bitch and a half. I've heard KLR tires can be a pain as well, and wasn't looking forward to it.

A little corn starch on the tube, a little lube on the tire, and with 2 motion pro tire irons and my left knee, it practically slipped right on. I've got it aired up now, I am going to let it set until the morning to make sure it's going to hold air. I will probably invest in a bead buddy or a third tire iron to make it easier for trail side repairs.
  12. Bakfarht

Oddometer:
    I had no problem changing the front either, the problem I had was getting it seated properly and rolling smooth. I have a bead buddy, I'd say it's a useful tool but nothing magical. It is small and light though, easy to pack.
    I'd be interested to know, does your front have a bead lock? It looks like mine did, but was removed at some point.
  13. KPfromCT

KPfromCT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 2008 has similar markings on the bottom of the case halves and I've owned it since day 1. I have no clue what they mean.
  14. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get a pair of those really small vice grips. Not only will they hold the tire, they could come in handy for other repairs.
    https://www.amazon.com/VISE-GRIP-Or...eywords=mini+vice+grips&qid=1601321742&sr=8-3
    merc16 likes this.
  15. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve carried and used 2 pairs of the smallest vice grips for years to change tires but lately I’ve been carrying 2 of these.They work just as good PLUS you can use them to break the bead and they don’t tear up the rim.
    IMG_0455.png
    ZachM1 and merc16 like this.
  16. lonegunm4n

Oddometer:
    No bead lock. Mine was never taken off road before it came to me. It had 5k miles on it, and was used as a once a year ride for a servicemember in North Carolina.
  17. lonegunm4n

Oddometer:
    Bigger Al likes this.
  18. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the Motion Pro Bead Buddy is worth whatever it costs. (Your amazon listing shows amazon at its worst...Please support the company that invented, perfected and manufactures the real thing. Or not. Just my thing...)

[​IMG]
    flexiflyer, merc16, FAW3 and 5 others like this.
  19. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just double up a rag and use that to protect the rim.
    RunninRanger likes this.
  20. FlatlandKSBrett

FlatlandKSBrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll just leave this here...

Attached Files: