1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Andyota

Andyota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, mixed kind of day.

I ordered a set of Shinko 804/805s and they're amazing. Install was "easy", they ride great and look pretty damn cool. I also purchased an Outex tubeless conversion kit, and I've got mixed feelings. For some reason the rear is giving me a devil of a time, and I ended up throwing a tube in so I could ride. The sealing tape is quite narrow for the rear rim, and I must not have gotten it exactly centered, or missed something greasy on the rim that fouled the seal. Needless to say, I'll be going back in to repair soon. Has anyone done this or another style tubeless conversion method that can offer advice? Also, when it comes to tubeless tires and KLR rims (mine is a 2017), has anyone had any issues with the bead surface sealing completely? I sanded down a couple welds and didn't see any bubbles coming out of that location upon my final check. Also, when you're installing the tire, is there a preferred lube to use that doesn't compromise the Outex seal? these things will not mount dry with tire spoons! I'm suspicious my Windex may have exasperated the leak problem. This is all kind of new to me.

Thanks.
    Andy IMG_2651.jpg IMG_2653.jpg
  2. Fixnfly

Fixnfly Not found on the book of faces

Oddometer:
    I just happened to do the outex conversion 2 weeks ago.
    The tape is very narrow and you have to center it as best that you can. There were a few spots were the tape overlapped the nipple by only 1/8''. Some of the spoke nipples needed to be ground down a little.
    I prepped the rim with 100 grit sandpaper followed by blowing it with compressed air and then brake cleaner followed by a wipe down with acetone.
    You can use the tape for the front wheel that came with the kit since it's probably not a good idea to convert the front rim anyhow.
    As for tire lube, I used murphy's https://www.jtmproductsinc.net/murphy.php
    The outex instructions also mention that it's a good idea to mount the tire as soon as possible.
    Be careful using the spoons. From what I have read, it's possible to damage the tape when mounting the tire.
    Andyota likes this.
  3. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just curious. What are your primary reasons for converting a KLR to tubeless? Being able to plug a puncture?

Are you all using sealer with the tubeless conversion? I would. I do in all tubes, and would not think of running a NuTech Tubliss system's low pressure tubeless outer chamber without a sealer.

The Tubliss system has a nice wide sealing tape that comes with the kit, but it's not for a pressure seal, only to protect the 110 psi high pressure bead retention tube from the spoke nipples.

As for bead retention, the tube type rims - some or all of them... I don't know - lack the added ridge that captures the bead slightly more. But on my recent 400+ mile fully loaded camping ride trip on the KLR, my rear tube oddly got punctured on the side and went flat twice, once off road, once on the highway. Both times I rode long enough to get the Shinko 805 tire quite hot. Yet never did it de-bead, which impressed the hell out of me.

What had happened was Quadboss was maintaining tube seal with the puncture well enough to get another 300 miles out of it after I aired it back up after the first flat. It maintained pressure over night when camping, so I didn't intervene, but should have, because 100 miles into day two it went flat on a highway and would no longer hold air. Yet still the Shinko did not de-bead!

After that experience I'd be less concerned over a tubeless conversion on a KLR with tube type rims. I'd still not do it, however, as tubes on KLR rims having no rim locks are pretty simple to deal with if one does get a flat.

On the light Beta 390 I fit the Tubliss system to be able to run 7 to 9 psi in the outers to improve traction and suspension. The complexity and wheel balancing issues were worth the benefits in that case, but I'd not do Tubliss on the KLR. The heavy KLR has fairly compliant tires at 18 to 22 psi, which is overkill for bead retention. But maybe I'm missing something on the tubeless conversion benefit.
    patrkbukly likes this.
  4. Andyota

Andyota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried it as an (expensive) experiment because it would be nice to be able to just plug a puncture and roll on. I am fully aware that the front rim on the klr is not equipped with a proper tubeless bead seat, but it seems to be holding air ok, and wouldn’t it also un-seat if the tube went flat? In reality, I’ll probably go back to tubes, patches, and tire spoons in the travel kit because, as you say, they are simple.

Malo’s, I had not planned to use a sealer with the tubeless because I’m not certain how it would interact with the sealing tape adhesive.

that’s that.
    motobene likes this.
  5. ZachM1

ZachM1 I'm a meat popsicle

Oddometer:
    1st and foremost for quick, easy back on the road/trail fix. 2nd is more options for repair. If the hole is too big or mangled for a mushroom plug, a patch could fix it easy enough. Then there's also the ability to carry a spare tube. So all in all more options.

I've been running Outex for over 20,000 miles with no real downsides. I've gotten back on my ride from a flat within less than 5 minutes by using mushroom plugs. When I had a slightly more dire moment I was able to install a tube to continue the ride. It's all about options and backup.
    motobene, Fixnfly and Andyota like this.
  6. Fixnfly

Oddometer:
    I think the outex kit is way overpriced since most people, including myself, never do the front rim on a KLR. I do have enough material leftover to do a rear wheel if anyone is interested.
    Andyota likes this.
  7. ZachM1

Oddometer:
    You do know you can get just one wheels worth of Outex? You don't have to buy a "kit". Funny though that I've never heard anyone until now make that claim of "since most people never do the front on a KLR". I've heard people that have never done a conversion advise other people not to do it, but never heard anyone outright claim to only do the rear until now.

Btw, my front Outex front wheel conversion works just fine.
    Andyota likes this.
  8. Fixnfly

Oddometer:
    Well good for you
  9. ZachM1

Oddometer:
    Hey man. Sorry you felt the need to get butt hurt over my response. I apologize as that was not the intention in any way.

I was merely stating an observation and hopefully helping others reading this thread by stating a fact.

Again I apologize if I worded something so that you thought it was a personal attack or defamatory.

Hope the swelling goes down soon.
  10. Fixnfly

Oddometer:
    No butt hurt here.
    My bike my choice.
    A few pages back Bigger Al mentioned that converting the front wheel may not be a good idea.
    IMO he is one of the most knowledgeable tire guys on this site. I trust his opinion way more than yours. So it appears your butt is hurt way more than mine.
    Good luck with that.
  11. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've read several conversion reports where people do their rear but not the front. Not just KLRs.
    Bigger Al, Fixnfly and ZachM1 like this.
  12. ZachM1

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Haven't run across those. Just the advise not to.
  13. ZachM1

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Your responses don't show any butt hurt at all. Anyways.....you are exactly right about your bike your choice. Never once did I say that you were wrong.

But have a great day non the less.
  14. Andyota

Andyota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So Fixnfly, going to pick nits, which Murphy’s did you use? I would think I’d want something that dries out after mounting rather than preventing a grip on the rim.
  15. Fixnfly

Oddometer:
    I used Murphy’s original concentrated. I now have an 8 lb bucket of this stuff. More than I could ever use!
    I think any good tire lube is better than windex or dish soap. It makes a noticeable difference.
    RunninRanger and Andyota like this.
  16. Andyota

Andyota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool cool, yes, anything purpose made will perform better. Windex dries so fast.

Thank you
    Fixnfly likes this.
  17. kf7ja

kf7ja Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use RU-Glyde Tire Mounting and Rubber Lubricant. It also cleans rubber nicely. I used to use Murphy's Soap, but switched to RU-Glyde as it is made for mounting tires. Its about $20/Gallon and lasts a long time. Also it can be cut with water. if you want.

Like Aprilla says "if you're working too hard, you're doing it wrong".
    RunninRanger, Andyota and buckthedog like this.
  18. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    Well, I took my tubes out for a nice long head clearing ride today...along with the rest of my KLR. Thanks to Gravelmap.com and the list of a ton of gravel roads in my state and area, I put down about 200 miles today, about 150 on dirt, single track (scary... ever see a Banana Spider or a Writing Spider ? ask the other Southerners here. That is why I don't like single track, and ALWAYS have my visor closed.) double track, and gravel Forest Roads that are fine for a Toyota Corolla, but entertaining on a bike, with varying depths, sizes of gravel, and turning more sandy the closer I got to Biloxi MS and the coast.

I remain impressed with the KLR, for all it does. The brakes suck, the suspension is sketchy etc, it's like driving an old International Harvester 4x4. The pickup, not the Scout II. Hard core. I would not want it to weigh more than it does, but I had a total blast on it. Also the ability to run up the hwy the last 20 miles home at 70 ish is a bonus. I submit that the KLR builds a unique skill set.

Oh... thank you Mr. hick ass that left a 1/4 mile of fishing line in the grass. Thanks to him I spent half an hour unravelling it from my front axle near my speedo, and rear hub. Got everywhere and I didn't have my needle nose pliers. Had everything else. If my pants are on, I have a handkerchief and a pocketknife sharp enough to shave with. If/when I am doing a known "Tour-de-Tweaker Route" (this IS Mississippi after all) , I'll always be able to protect myself from...lets say, further away.

https://gravelmap.com/browse

Attached Files:

19. beemerbum55

beemerbum55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KLR650.COM does not require a password.
    Cereal KLR likes this.
  20. beemerbum55

beemerbum55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a thought guys...buy and install two kits then slightly overlapping one another side-by-side around the rim? Voila!
    Andyota likes this.