KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Andyota

Andyota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Happy socially-distanced Turkey day everyone!
  2. Fixnfly

Fixnfly Not found on the book of faces

Oddometer:
    Hey Andyota, did you ever get your tubeless conversion figured out?
    Andyota likes this.
  3. PlowHand

PlowHand Ancient, ugly and happy :-)

Oddometer:
    Andyota likes this.
  4. Andyota

Andyota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At this point I'm running a tube in the rear because I couldn't get the seal to completely take and the front is holding pretty ok but losing about 1/2-pound every 24 hours, so the short answer is not completely. I was getting quite impatient with the Outex kit.

I do have plans to go back in this winter and try to figure it all out but work is ramping up again going into the year-end stuff. It's a matter of spoke hole sealing in the rear and potentially a slight bead imperfection in the front. it may turn out to be a $100 lesson learned and I have tubes to go back in if needed. time will tell. I did purchase some of the industrial 3M tape that I will likely just put over everyting.
    Fixnfly likes this.
  5. Fixnfly

Fixnfly Not found on the book of faces

Oddometer:
    I also think the outex kit is a bit overrated.I had success with the rear but the thin tape that barely covers the spokes makes me wonder how long it will hold. I might cover it with the 3M tape at some point.
    Andyota likes this.
  6. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
  7. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    So, it's Thanksgiving, my wife is off working a Covid nursing assignment, and had the day before dinner at our daughters. So, when one has time, some frustration and needs to work with their hands in order not to miss his wife and other kids even more, what does one do?

Yes, you guessed it. Pivot bolt.

I've attempted this for over a year, and damn if today wasn't going to be the day. So I did the usual bang, swear, repeat ad nauseum. By jove, it moved. So repeat, repeat, repeat. I had some left over homemade penetrating oil : atf left over from my forks ;) and acetone. I felt it give. I was finally able to turn it. IMG_0134.jpg Then, it disappeared into the bowels of the frame. What just happened?, I queried. No turning back now. Now about me... when they made me, they forgot to add in the quit. 23 minutes later, victory was mine! View attachment 2674118 For those of you poor souls who have struggled, only to be met with fatigue, frustration, disappointment (much like high school and careers), I shall provide a salve for your bruised and battered remains... THIS is what the bolt looks like... IMG_0146.jpg Lo, and it was good. Some cleaning out of its rusty, oxidized sarcophagus, some Bel Ray IMG_0152.jpg and replaced with love. However, all was not well with Buckthedog, as I boogered up the threads on the damn bolt and well now I guess I need to find a thread chaser to rectify it so I can replace it. By the way, don't lower your bike off the lift without the bolt in, as it will fall over. So my friends, it can be done.

And that....is the rest of the story.

May all of your thanksgivings be wonderful and memorable. We are here just a short while and mostly, being an adult really sucks. It's the little things (like a stupid pivot bolt) and family dinners that make it worthwhile.

Attached Files:

8. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    Oh, for those who wonder... "I wonder where his helpers are in this one...hmmm" They were otherwise occupied. IMG_0074.jpg View recent photos (1).jpg
  9. PlowHand

PlowHand Ancient, ugly and happy :-)

Oddometer:
    It was fun!

Just click on the highlighted link in my previous post to review the thread. Towards the end of the thread there are some videos of the ride. (I’d post the link to my video here but I didn’t ride my KLR that weekend. :-))
    buckthedog likes this.
  10. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    Hey, I looked it up, and watched some of the videos. Very cool. I don't know if the KLR would've been super fun from the videos I saw.

Oh, re: my pivot bolt, since it was a folded thread on the first spiral that got messed up, I was going to grind it smooth, but another inmate told me something about "dude, do it right". He doesn't know me very well. So I heeded his warning, and 10 minutes and 10 bucks at a machine shop fixed it right up. Guy said he'd do that adjustable kickstand mod for me (previous page) for about 40 bucks. I figured that's fair. Cut it, weld on a captive nut, some threaded rod and weld the foot on. He was intrigued. Bolt is now back in it's well greased sarcophagus and can rest until it is disentombed next year.
  11. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    what did the machine shop do to "fix it up right?" The thread repair I mean...
  12. Adiventure

Adiventure Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know asking about tires is just about as bad as asking about oil, but given that I haven't tried these matchups I hope there might be some wisdom.

I'm running 18s front and rear, and getting some new tires. I had had a Avon Trailrider (rear turned backwards) front and Pirelli MT90 rear for 90 percent street. Any thoughts between a MT90 front with a Shinko 705 or Michelin Maker rear or doing a Conti TKC70 set?

They're going on 18/3.5 tubeless rims.
  13. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    Hey HardWorkingDog, I don't know, I had to take a work call. My guess is that he used a die to straighten out the thread that had rolled over/gotten crushed. It didn't take him 5-7 min before he walked out and handed it to me. Couldn't see the area he fixed, so that's a good thing. I don't have a tap/die set, so for this instance, I was happy to give the man $10 and will use him again, and recommend him to others. The bolt wasn't as bad as you may think. Just the nut wouldn't even start to thread as I had wacked it with the hammer. In hindsight, I should have left the nut on...but frustration and haste are often enemies in our tasks.
    HardWorkingDog likes this.
  14. Hurco550

Hurco550 Keep er' Between the Ditches

Oddometer:
    That's just a mockup using a stock 17" dr650 rear wheel. A friend of mine has a stock klr650 rear laced to a klr front hub. He was trying to go supermoto buy sold the bike. Spent a bunch having Buchanan build the wheel. Whenever I save up a few more pennies I'll grab it from him. I'd rather do the 18 front, but this will be cheaper (for me) so I'll deal with it. It'll get less aggressive tread on the end iteration.
  15. Hurco550

Hurco550 Keep er' Between the Ditches

Oddometer:
    Much thanks!!

I like to build stuff when I can. It's taken me a hot minute to set up my garage, but there's worse hobbies I guess lol

Of course it's rarely as organized as it is in these pictures lol View attachment 2675764 View attachment 2675765 View attachment 2675766 20200402_193716.jpg
    RunninRanger and Andyota like this.
  16. kf7ja

kf7ja Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know where to get this part? I had a card of them, but gave most away. This is my last one and I want to order more. (It replaces a cotter pin on axel bolts.) Sorry for the big fuzzy photo. IMG-0118b.jpg
  17. ZachM1

ZachM1 I'm a meat popsicle

Oddometer:
    I think they are commonly called Rue Ring Cotter Pins.
  18. kf7ja

kf7ja Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That is close. The Rue Ring pins have a different twist. I searched Google images and did not see the one in my photo.
    I have done away with my rear cotter pin. I use a Honda lock nut, 90305-KE8-003. They are about $5 at the Honda dealer.
    ZachM1 likes this.
  19. ZachM1

ZachM1 I'm a meat popsicle

Oddometer:
    Maybe your version wasn't as popular, but I'm pretty sure they were called by the same name back in the day. I could be wrong. It's happened once before.
    Andyota likes this.
  20. Andyota

Andyota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also may not have cleaned the rim surface enough. Need new acetone or another extremely aggressive grease remover I believe. It's fine, a learning experience and winter is setting in with super short days and cold. gives me time to go slow and get it right on the second round.
    Fixnfly likes this.