KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. ZachM1

ZachM1 I'm a meat popsicle

Oddometer:
    Amateurs. Always send them for a bearing stretcher first.
    RunninRanger and buckthedog like this.
  2. By-tor

By-tor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now we have to wait till January 2021 to see the main objective.......
  3. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll add my two cents worth to the modified kick stand discussion.

I measured and cut the stand then had a 5/8" nut welded to the bottom. Into that went a length of all-thread with a Nylock nut and a welded on piece of plate for the foot. I have 1" risers on my bike, and this stand let me bring the bike back up to a nicer lean angle. YMMV.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. sanders446

sanders446 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I read somewhere last week that the unveil got pushed back to January but couldn't find confirmation. Where are you seeing the new rollout date?
  5. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Looks solid! Out of curiosity, did you go adjustable in case you change the links back so you have options, or more for fine tuning pf your current setup?
  6. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    That looks like a great kickstand mod.
    Bigger Al likes this.
  7. Bigger Al

Oddometer:
    A little of both. Mostly for fine tuning of the lean angle when the bike is loaded. The bigger foot is a bonus. It was going to cost me the same whether I did the above mod or if I had it lengthened, so I went with this. It is heavier than stock, but so far there have been no issues with it deploying unexpectedly.
    WileyRTW likes this.
  8. KPfromCT

KPfromCT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Kawasaki web site is still showing 5 reveals for 11/23 and 5 more in January. One bike scheduled for the 23rd is tall with a spoked front wheel. Three of the models scheduled for January look like side by sides.
    sanders446 likes this.
  9. NHTOTEROAD

NHTOTEROAD Long timer

Oddometer:
    This ^
    Kawasaki 2021.png
    Currently on line
    KPfromCT likes this.
  10. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki KLR 651??
  11. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    IMG_0019.jpg Met up with a bunch of total strangers on the regional thread. Never know what you're gonna get. Turns out they were good as gold. Super nice bunch of men (and a really cool son) Riding styles meshed, and did about 180 miles of dirt, gravel, and we won't talk about the short bit of sand. Finally made it home after 8 hrs or so. One happy KLR engine :) IMG_0021.jpg
  12. ZachM1

ZachM1 I'm a meat popsicle

Oddometer:
    Spooned on a Metzler Tourance 150/70R17 from a Triumph Scrambler tonight. Going to try it out better tomorrow. Seemed decent for the little property ride I did tonight.
    2 years in a row for $20 sets of tires at the Turkey Trot. Last year was a barely used set of Motor Tractionator Adventures.
    PXL_20201122_013731861.jpg PXL_20201122_013804687.jpg
  13. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    Edit to add... next time I wont tell my wife... Hey Honey, I'm going to meet some nice man I met on the internet. Gotta be a better way to phrase that. Seinfeld.gif
  14. Hurco550

Hurco550 Keep er' Between the Ditches

Oddometer:
    Whats up ya'll? figured I'd share my dual headlight setup that I've been working on here. It uses a pair of Suzuki DR650 fairing mounts adapted to hold Honda ruckus headlights. The plates hold the fairing, turn signals and headlight frame. I cut up the fairing and mounted it back up. It now turns with the bars. I still need to clean up the cuts and make a few braces to stiffen everything up, but I'm happy with how it turned out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Bigger Al

Oddometer:
    Nicely done!!
    Hurco550 likes this.
  16. Baja_Bound

Baja_Bound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely a 'do-it-yourselfer' garage. Great job!
    Hurco550 likes this.
  17. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki KLR 651??

If they push it back again it is going to be a T7......

Best regards,
  18. Fixn2ride

Fixn2ride Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nicely done. Curious about the big wheel setup with a hub that looks to hold dual disks?
  19. NHTOTEROAD

NHTOTEROAD Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Avert your eyes unless you want to read a little blasphemy.... You've been warned.

My daughter has a Versys X-300 that she doesn't really want any more. She says that having both a car and a motorcycle is too much trouble right now and wants to keep the car and get rid of the bike. I've rode that thing quite a bit and come away more and more impressed every time I ride it. I took it out on a bit of dirt road that always gives me severe pucker factor on the KLR. In fact, I had a friend from work, riding another Versys X-300 which he had just bought for his son. He has never rode in dirt before at all. When we got to that point of the road, I pulled over and told him it was tricky, that I'd be taking slow and careful, or that we could bypass that stretch. He said "let's go for it". Well, we did, and it was just freaking easy. The much lighter weight and lower center of gravity made that tricky spot a piece of cake. I'm finding that I feel I could take that X-300 any where I'd feel comfortable taking my KLR and then some. It's held its own on the 85 mph speed limit freeways of Texas, going an indicated 90. It's a real joy on the farm-to-market back roads through hill country. And it's a good gravel road mile muncher. So, it ticks all the boxes the KLR has going for it for my purpose.

So, I'm really considering taking my daughter's Versys to replace the KLR as a commuter and little ADV bike, while also buying a light, small displacement dual sport for single and double track trail riding. A 250-450 cc dual sport. I'm not looking to go super fast, so I figured the KLX 250s would be perfect. If I ever needed a displacement bump, just get the 351 kit and I'd be no worse off for not waiting for the KLX 300. The shop I bought my KLR from two years ago has a 2018 KLX with just 2,600 miles. I thought maybe I could get a decent trade for that with my KLR. Wrong!!! They offered me only $3,000 in trade-in for my KLR. I know I've got some miles on my KLR, having just hit 21,000 miles. But it's worth more to me than $3,000!

I looked on Cycletrader and am seeing 2018 KLRs going for $5,250 and up. And I'm talking used ones as well. Brand new leftovers are asking $6,000. There are ten year old bike with 40,000 miles with asking prices more than the dealership offered me. So, I know dealerships have to make money. But I think they could pay me more than $3,000 and still make a good profit. I'm thinking of asking $4,000. My bike has the doohickey upgrade (though not with the torsion spring, but I have one along with all the tools to do the job, to go with whoever would purchase the bike), Tusk crash bars, Tusk pannier racks, and a Ricochet skid plate. If I can't get $4,000 for it, I wouldn't be interested in making the deal. What do y'all think? Am I way off base?