KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. S_Slade

S_Slade Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It starts up fine again but for some reason there is now spring-like tension on the choke :S I have no idea why the choke now doesn't stay out without being held in place. It keeps springing back to the non-choked position
  2. motobene

motobene Motoing for 51 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tighten the 4mm hex a little on the choke adjuster. There's a little wave washer thing on that choke mechanism.

Don't let the broken-off piece of spring chew on your mind. Gravity is your friend, and like was said it might have already gone out.
    S_Slade likes this.
  3. theofam

theofam Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, do I love this thread! I was stumped last week. My 12-point socket had just slipped on each of the four head bolts. I thought I was hosed. Then, I read the above about six-point sockets. Nothing a quick trip to Lowe's couldn't fix - worked great! So, @HardWorkingDog, thank you!
  4. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    When I removed the connection on the carb end and re-attached it fixed this problem.
  5. S_Slade

S_Slade Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was it, thank you!
  6. S_Slade

S_Slade Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So the job is all done now, but I think I fucked up somewhere along the way, most likely putting the large starter wheel and that magnetic one way slipper clutch wheel back on.

I rode it for about 200 feet then got off to open a gate, and although it rode and sounded fine I realized it was now VERY hard to push it forward when in any gear but neutral. Normally I can just squeeze the clutch all the way and it'll roll almost exactly like it was in neutral but now it was incredibly hard to do that. I put it back in neutral and pushed it back to my work area. Maybe it was because I just changed the oil? I used orielly's 10W-40 but I'd be very surprised if that is it. I'll probably drain the new oil out of it tomorrow, open it back up and see if anything is out of whack :/

Thanks again for all the advice, everyone
  7. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    @S_Slade re: your doohickey spring, as others have said, don't worry about it, but this IMG_0256.jpg is where broken doohickey pieces go to die. IMG_0261.jpg IMG_0258.jpg Just google KLR oil screen and theres some videos out there about it. Or PM me and I can give you the Cliff Notes version.

Attached Files:

S_Slade likes this.
  8. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Slow! Gravity might be a friend, but alternator magnets are not! I would look until the piece is found.

Certainly also install a magnetic drain plug if it already does not have one.
    buckthedog and ZachM1 like this.
  9. fata moutra

fata moutra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same thing happened to a friend...The left crankshaft bearing was not happy...
  10. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    :shog I stand corrected. Maybe worry a little bit. But if it isn't stuck to a magnetic low profile oil drain plug bolt (good upgrade idea) OR in the oil screen, not much you can do. Change the oil once or twice at short intervals (with the new magnetic plug), and that's about all you can hope for I guess. Of course it'll worry you like it would me, but it could've come out long ago. Come to think of it, never did find mine. I did find a doohickey piece that's been in there for, idk...5-10k miles?
  11. jowannab

jowannab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HELP!!!! im needing a tank bag for a gen 2 klr 650.. the one i order is way to big,, thx for any help..
  12. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    You should start by telling us which one is too big for you.
    buckthedog likes this.
  13. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    WileyRTW has a point... tell us what model is too big?

I am NOT a fan of the magnetic bags, some like them. I don't. But the strap down versions I'd recommend are: Wolfman Blackhawk or Ranier, Nelson Rigg has some, or the Tusk brand fits perfectly, likely cheaper, but their house brand seems to be pretty good. I'd get it if I needed one. Wolfman or Giant Loop is more top shelf stuff, but lasts and lasts. Mine is on my 2nd bike now. Still looks great.
  14. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    Btw @WileyRTW, where you at now? You're going to run out of continent soon, huh? Your KLR still in mostly one piece? ;)
    WileyRTW likes this.
  15. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A modest suggestion: Don't run, screaming, from the room at the thought of a Kawasaki OEM tank bag.

Fits; expandable; fastens securely; fuel tank cap friendly; and . . . add an OEM handlebar bag and you'll be SET!

:D
    RickyBilly likes this.
  16. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Churro has been performing great, too well in fact, I am sure he has a new trick up his sleeve just waiting for the right moment! I did post a little of the story about the 14 hour nightmare that resulted from a flat I had from picking up a nail in the Is Mex Safe thread (possibly here as well do not recall), but that wasn't Churros fault.

Still in Mexico, no plans on leaving. I have slowed down a lot now that I have hit the beaches, trying to enjoy them as much as I can before it get's too hot down here and I am driven back to the mountains. Nothing special about this pic, but it shows what I have been up to, followed this road for miles today. IMG_20210122_121734513.jpg

And from the nightmare day. Tow truck didn't have any straps, I had to hold Churro up myself while we went down the highway, only in Mexico (snapped the pic while we waited in line at a toll booth lol)
    IMG_20201223_145600975.jpg
  17. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    As they say in Mexico: "jajaja" holy hell, a tow truck without straps. I'll have to look that one up. Glad you (both) are well man. Some of us are living vicariously through you, so enjoy a cold one from us. You could make some travel money selling gas out of your big ass tank!
  18. AzMtnThumper

AzMtnThumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All true, but on mine at least, the zipper was the weak point. Couldn't find anyone to fix it locally so bought the tusk, it's OK. My buddy had one on his Africa Twin and the zipper let go not long after he got it. The Kawasaki tank bag sure went up in price, in 2017 I bought mine for $105 and the last time I looked they were $155! There for awhile they were giving them and the saddlebags away with the purchase of a new bike!
  19. Andyota

Andyota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love my Giant Loop Fandango Pro. Not too big, easy to get to the filler, comes with a dry bag and very secure fit.
    55B6655E-867F-4989-BBEF-5B9C28CE7F78.jpeg
  20. kf7ja

kf7ja Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went from my Wolkman Blackhawk and Rainier bags to a Mosco Moto Nomad. They have renamed the upgraded bag to the Nomax. It is a layered system that makes organizing your stuff easy. Also has IMG-3935.jpg a hydration bag.

Attached Files: