KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. tmac5854

tmac5854 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, they are a complete beating. I had to purchase two 6mm-1.0 x 15 to replace the two that were two short. Never want to mess with that again. The battery mentioned should resolve it. I should have thought about Deka because that's what I buy for my Shovelhead.
  2. tmac5854

tmac5854 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha! *too

Stupid phone.
  3. gaiaRTW

gaiaRTW Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I agree that it 's a great battery, however, the EXT15L is glassmat tech AGM.
    MacNoob likes this.
  4. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A folded ziptie works nice under the nut on battery. Fold at the end so you have a tail to yank out as tightening. Some will do the batt tender terminals on engine ground and starter relay. Makes swapping batteries easier not wrestling a stack of terminals.
    Jmcqq37 and XDragRacer like this.
  5. KPfromCT

KPfromCT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which is lead-acid chemistry, so I'm not sure where the "however" comes in.

The glass mat is between the lead plates, and the acid is absorbed into the glass mat material. Feel free to look up a SDS. You'll find lead and sulfuric acid.
  6. GARAGE DWELLER

GARAGE DWELLER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went with AGM for the spill proof factor. I've gone though fighting those nuts myself. I've tried folded up paper under them and what not. Lately I've been using hot glue to hold them in place. That works well.
    nvklr likes this.
  7. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone got any word about gen3. Eta is still not known. I would expect a press release anytime now. Should be soon.
  8. MC_Collector

MC_Collector Retired and riding!

Oddometer:
    A half inch length of weed eater line bent into a "U" shape underneath or behind the battery nut works well and in a pinch the stem of a leaf.
  9. TeamGreen500

TeamGreen500 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In early May I was told July & the dealer is sticking with that info per KMC, USA. Now, when in July...? :rofl
  10. TeamGreen500

TeamGreen500 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There's a battery brand called Motobatt and they've got terminals at all 4 corners & come with 4 s/s fasteners and a wrench. The terminals are fixed brass recepticals.

Motobatt part number MBTX14AU
  11. Bob just Bob

Bob just Bob Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Need some help with my gen 1.
    My headlight quit working. I have determined its wiring I've checked fuses and bulb all good. Though I am going to upgrade to blade fuses.
    I suck at wiring and don't know where to begin. It looks as though there is a R /w BLK wire, R/w Y wire,
    and BLK /w R wire I traced them and found the black and it seems to be the ground. Not positive though.
    Also traced the two red wires to a harness plug block that also has blinkers and horn in the block. With my tester I am not getting either to light up. I'm guessing both should be hot one for low beams one for high. All guesses on my part and I'm frustrated any help would be great
    AHRMA17L likes this.
  12. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    The headlight ground should be black w/yellow. Red/black is high beam and red/yellow is low.

Have both high and low beams quit working? That would point to something they have in common instead of 2 faults. Things they have in common are the ground wire (Blk/yel) and the blue/white wire from the fuse to the high/low switch on the left handlebar. Actually, blue/white turns to plain brown at the plug in front of the speedometer/tachometer.

Have you tested the fuses for continuity or just checked them visually. Sometimes they look OK but are broken inside. You may have done this but I'm just checking.

You can check the plug and switch by unplugging the left switchgear plug in front of the dashboard. Then using a short piece of wire, connect blue/white to either red/black or red/yellow. If it turns on, the problem is with the plug or switch. You can also use a longer wire to plug battery + to r/b or r/y.

Eventually you should be able to bypass enough stuff to turn on the light. Then you just have to bypass less stuff until you see the smallest "jump" that makes it work.

Good luck.
  13. Bob just Bob

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ginnin this is very helpful. Yeah fuses are good. And yes high and low beams are both out. I never do electrical on anything but I gotta start sometime. Did my own trail tech Guage but it was essentially plug and play. I'll post how it goes and likely another question or 2 lol
  14. gordjones

gordjones RAT Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just use a slightly longer bolt, especially if I have a couple of terminals stacked on top ...
    Bigger Al likes this.
  15. Bob just Bob

Oddometer:
    Ok Grinnin your knowledge saved the day.
    Initially when I looked up stuff about my headlight issue I noticed a lot of talk about up sizing the 10a fuse to a 15a fuse for your lights (original should be 20a main and 10a lights or so I read).
    When I looked at fuses I saw a 20a and a 15a, so I assumed the previous owner had upsized the lights fuse like I had read about. But when fellow inmate Grinnin mentioned that the lights wire going into the fuse was blue/white I realized they had the fuses all messed up there was a 20a in for the lights. As I followed the wire not 6 inches from the fuse the wire had melted and was shorting out. Long ride followed by (a noob move) leaving the key on for 2 hours caused the wire to run to hot and instead of blowing the fuse like it should have the 20amp allowed the wire to melt.
    Anyhow problem is fixed new inline blade fuses installed and a quick ride in for the day.
    Thank you oh so very much Grinnin.
    Grinnin and ZachM1 like this.
  16. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    That's great! The old spirit of advrider is alive & well. And you're on your way to becoming an electrical expert :lol3
  17. tubebender

tubebender Shakin' all over

Oddometer:
    You can buy metric studs at most auto parts stores.
    In true KLR fashion, I make my own. A drop of locktite on the bit that goes into the battery nut and you're good.

stud.jpg

KLR Batt Stud.jpg
  18. OLdUgly

OLdUgly Sadly, I can't afford a boat.

Oddometer:
    Howdy everyone. I am selling my low mileage '08 KLR. It's in Albuquerque. I posted it on the flea market forum for the Rocky Mountains region. If interested. take a look.
    Andyota likes this.
  19. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dont forget grease on those batt posts and exposed wire strands. Makes life easy. Keeps electrolysis to a minimum. Lock or toothed washers work well in modded accessorie post/bolts as does double nutting.
  20. F150

F150 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like I've found the best product for restoring the sheen on 20 yr old Gen 1 plastics. After 3 days no change in sheen or depth of color, very happy with the result. Any suggestions on where to reliably source? Storage container? klr plastics.jpg
    Andyota, ktjim, jwaller and 1 other person like this.