KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. mikehailwood

mikehailwood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like bug juice is the ticket. Just drive back and forth across Kansas a few times and Bob's your uncle.
    ZachM1 likes this.
  2. F150

F150 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if bug guts or bird poo, tempted to go harvest both and report back. Histoplasmosis here I come!
    Robotaz and ZachM1 like this.
  3. Fixnfly

Fixnfly Not found on the book of faces

Oddometer:
    Maxima SC 1 would make that plastic look nice.
    Smell nice also!
    Good stuff!
  4. StayFrosty

StayFrosty Mid Life Crisis -Wish it happened 20 yrs ago Supporter

Oddometer:
    Evening! I ran into something today while running around the forrest roads. I was cruising along and came to a small 10' bridge across a water crossing. I pulled the clutch in and the bike died. I hit the starter and it fired right back up. We cruised another few miles and was entering a gravel turn so again I slowed, pulled the clutch in and the bike died. At this point we decided to turn around as it wasn't getting stuck 12 miles back in the forrest.

Curious if anyone has places to start looking. I'm pretty sure it isn't the side stand switch. I just read it could be a clutch switch. Anything else I should look for?

2009 KLR 650 w/ 3400 miles. Stock as stock can be.

Thanks for any ideas or places to look. It will be my project tomorrow if I can beat the 90+ degree heat.

SF
  5. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your on the right track, search clutch safety switch. You probably need a new plunger or may be able to clean it. It doesn't take long to replace it, just a few minutes. Take a look at your favorite OEM parts supplier.

Probably a good time to review the 3 KLR safety switches as well.

Best regards,
    StayFrosty likes this.
  6. StayFrosty

Oddometer:
    Do any of those switches affect a running bike with the exception of the side stand switch? The bike was running and traveling. Pulling the clutch lever in the bike died.
  7. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unhook the clutch switch and run a jumper between the two contacts and see if the problem goes away. If so, it's the switch. If not, then you at least have a starting point for troubleshooting.
  8. StayFrosty

Oddometer:
    Thanks Pollack - as part of my search I pulled the cover off the airbox and had a surprise. I cleaned the air filter and will review the switches to see what they look like. I need to stop letting my wife lead the parade :p
    Pollack likes this.
  9. mridefellow

mridefellow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a lot of miles. Was the engine rebuilt at some point?
  10. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, at 66k miles.

The needle roller bearing on the transmission output shaft (right side opposite the sprocket) completely let go - at the top of the Moki Dugway in S Utah, 1300 miles from home. Not a single roller was whole and bits were spread throughout the motor, oil pump etc. One part went up the rear of the piston taking the rings out and scoring the piston and barrel. I had about 58K on a 685 at that time. Those JE pistons are a work of art! Why did that bearing go? Very unusual.

The head is still original, was clear of junk ( the oil filter did its job) as were the alternator system and clutch - still using them. Found a great '96 lower end that had 14k on it. I have put another 42k on that.

Bike has 108K + on it now and is going great! Waiting for the summer heat to moderate before heading out West for another 4k ride.
  11. bryce1552

bryce1552 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just put the klr back together. Rode it around town yesterday now when I go to start the bike. I press the start switch and EVERTHING goes dead

Few minutes later the headlights light back up and everything looks normal it cranks and BAM lights out no power at all

Whats going on? I checked the fuses no issue and it ran great the other day
  12. blaustrom

blaustrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Battery and/ or ground connection(s) loose or corroded?
    MacNoob and bryce1552 like this.
  13. bryce1552

Oddometer:
    Main connection looks good. Single click and all power goes out for 30 seconds-a few minutes
  14. mridefellow

mridefellow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Tsotsie : Thanks for the informative post.
    Tsotsie likes this.
  15. bryce1552

Oddometer:
    Left it on the tender overnight (wishful thinking) today no click nothing doesn't event attempt to turn over? Bad starter or starter relay?
  16. BigBluKlr

BigBluKlr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just went for my first ride on the street with newly mounted Tusk Dual Sport tires. Scary, unsettling, What have I done, were my thoughts. First real knobby tires for me. Went from Pirelli MT60 (70-80% on road ). I bought the bike with these, I went into the wood with them. Sand, mud, never had an issue with traction. I learned to ride my KLR on these tires. In the end I put over 7000 miles on them and they were spent. So going from basically a street tire to tusks, this is a whole new riding experience. After my initial 20-30 min ride it was better but in any kind of lean there is an unnerving, unsettled feeling to these tires as you get onto the side knobbies. Anyone have any similar stories going from one type of tire to a more aggressive off road tire?
    jwaller and merc16 like this.
  17. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:

The KLR is an extremely reliable machine; however, the electrical wires are very susceptible to wear and tear. On another forum they documented the common place rub spots. I have been down that road once and it was not fun. It it were mine I would take off all the plastics and see if any wires rested against metal, rubs where the outer coating of the wire is removed, so on. If my case it was the wire than ran down to the ignition coil and it rubbed against the radiator overflow. Electrical tape and dielectric grease is your friend, good luck.

Best regards,
    merc16 and SteelB12 like this.
  18. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After the stock tires I used Shinko 705s a couple times before putting the Tusk DSport on the bike. It certainly is a different feeling on pavement, and it does take some time getting used to. But for me, the degradation of feel on pavement was worth the added confidence off pavement. I suppose it’s just a matter of preference more than anything else. I’ve rode with someone else on the Tusk tires who pushed faster on pavement than I ever do, no matter the tires, and he never lost control. So I think it’s more a confidence and preference thing than the actual capability of the tires. If you never feel confident with the Tusk tires, you won’t use them to their potential and you might not even enjoy riding the bike. So, if you don’t feel any better on them soon, you might as well put on tires you do like and try to sell the Tusks for whatever you can get or hold on to them as spares.
    Dan Diego, mridefellow and ZachM1 like this.
  19. EMFL

EMFL It's an adventure if nobody died Supporter

Oddometer:
    Inmates, need your help and on the spot mechanical expertise. Ridding with a buddy on a gen1 KLR and it's having electrical issues. Turn on the key there is nothing, no head light, no power to the ignition. We are able to bump start it, thank the motorcycle gods.

Anything we should looking out for? We are currently in Bieber, CA on our way to Bend, OR

Any ideas thoughts are most appreciated,
    Erik
  20. EMFL

EMFL It's an adventure if nobody died Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it may be one of the main fuses. Rectifier was getting very hot as well. Will post our findings later

Erik
    GoDoMore likes this.