KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Fidget

Fidget JM is my FB

Oddometer:
    Got bit by the KLR bug again today. Found a nicely farkled ‘18 with 6800 miles. (Not my luggage)
    D1163A04-3770-41FF-BF6A-3F35B66CEFEE.jpeg
    C4966F51-C2CC-41BC-B5F1-4FE4F98DA549.jpeg
    TonyKZ1, patrkbukly, ausfahrt and 9 others like this.
  2. bete

bete misguided adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fidget likes this.
  3. mridefellow

mridefellow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much do KLRs go for these days. One that's a few or several years old, very good shape, with 10k or so miles on it?

Whatever they go for now, I guess prices of used ones will go down in the future due to the '22 coming out and the supply of new bikes in general going up.
  4. Fidget

Fidget JM is my FB

Oddometer:
    Here in Northern California the “nice” used KLRs & DRs are mostly in the $5-6k range. It’s high along with most used vehicles. I like the ABS & FI addition to the new one but wasn’t willing to wait until….? and pay $4k extra for the privilege.
    mridefellow likes this.
  5. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alot of gen 2 and even 1 doubled in price when gen 3 came out. I didnt jump on the right ones fast enough. Just saw gen 2 asking 8k. Placed a deposit on gen 3 back in march
  6. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Really? Doubled from what? Asking's not getting...

Just checked sfbayareacraigslist...KLRs are mostly in the $3000 - $5000 range.

I think your guess is pretty much spot on. With the MSRP of a base model 2022 KLR at $6699 I know if I was in the market for a KLR I wouldn't pay much more than 50% of that MSRP for a used Gen 1 or 2.

As a data point, I sold my '09 KLR with 20K miles, in great condition nicely farkled for $4000 here in the SF Bay area last month. I didn't have people beating down my door either...
  7. GARAGE DWELLER

GARAGE DWELLER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man that thing is loaded up with goodies!
    Fidget likes this.
  8. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dealers and private sellers are asking the highest I have ever seen. Didnt bother even calling. So I cant say about selling price. 10 to 20 yr old bikes will only carry so much value to myself.
    Fidget likes this.
  9. Fidget

Fidget JM is my FB

Oddometer:
    Check it again for “nice” ones like I originally posted. You’ll see a few in there at $6k+
  10. Fidget

Fidget JM is my FB

Oddometer:
    I need to figure out what’s going to work for me. Things like the -2” Sargent saddle isn’t going to work and I’m not sure the Stead engineering choke cable eliminator knob should be next to impossible to access.
  11. GARAGE DWELLER

GARAGE DWELLER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried a Sargent low saddle for about 10 miles... couldn't get that thing off fast enough... LOL
    Fidget likes this.
  12. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Glad you got a nice one! Enjoy!
    Fidget likes this.
  13. Kampfire

Kampfire Trucky on two wheels

Oddometer:
    Had the IMS/Progressive bike show last weekend over at Sonoma Raceway and they had test rides available on the New KLR.
    Had to ride it! And it's nice.

[​IMG]

I love the dash on it! It screams for farkles, GPS mounts, sockets, digital displays... whatever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only a guided ride on the street, so no idea what off road would be like.
  14. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:

Can you elaborate some more? Any word about the doo?

Best regards,
  15. Kampfire

Kampfire Trucky on two wheels

Oddometer:
    I'll copy & paste a report I did on a KLR forum for you.

Until someone opens one up, we won't know about any Doohicky improvements, but I'm sure Eagle Mike already has one lined up, or has one open in his shop.

Report-----------

So on Friday three of us rode over and enjoyed the wonderful Northern California weather and motorcycles. Kawasaki was there in full force, and had test rides available on the New 2022 KLR. Uh... sign me up. I was hoping for some dirt trails up on the hillside behind Sonoma Raceway, but no luck. It was all street driving with all different models.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I picked out the orange model, and donned my gear after a breathalyzer test (no beer until AFTER the ride) and rider instructions. The first thing I noticed when leaving the paddock area was the fuel injected control idle. With the lack of a tachometer, it seemed a little high but had no lugging or hunting when idling in first gear. It was steady, smooth, and made putting around in first a breeze. Then up a slight hill toward the highway made the throttle response even more desirable and smooth. I like it so far.

[​IMG]

Hit the highway and we started accelerating and now I was really impressed. It seemed like it had as much power as my 685 equipped 2008 with carb mods. Revving it up thru the gears gave me the impression that the cams are different because the powerband is a lot wider and higher. Ride was about the same as a stock GEN II, the seat might be a tad better quality than a stock GEN II, but riding position felt the same.

The front brake definitely feels better with the bigger rotor and caliper, rear braking was about the same. But the dash and display area... I LOVE IT! Except for the no tachometer (which I'm sure the after market is already in design for) a fuel gauge & clock just make it a nice display. The overall dash layout? To me screams for farkles and mods. Lots of area for switches, accessories, GPS mounts, etc.

[​IMG]

Played with the gears on the way back and found that this thing can run in third gear at 65 miles per hour. And it still was pulling (needed that tach again) strong when I shifted to 4th, and it cruised very smoothly in 5th at 72 MPH. It was a group ride so no high speed runs here that day.

Worst thing I felt was coming back into the track area and downshifting into first and going slightly off idle. This created a slight bucking when the throttle position sensor was clicking on & off idle. Mentioned this to one of the lead riders, and he agreed that they might have a TPS adjustment issue. Small thing, but it could be addressed later.

[​IMG]

Overall impression? Great improvements to the KLR that I could feel and see. Just wish I could get one for a day ride in the hills.
    TonyKZ1, RickyBilly, LngRidr and 11 others like this.
  16. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to post a nice response.

Best regards,
    RickyBilly and mridefellow like this.
  17. mridefellow

Oddometer:
    Ditto.
    Pollack likes this.
  18. mridefellow

Oddometer:
    @Kampfire : Did you notice any difference in seat height compared to previous generations?
  19. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Modest proposal: Next time an inmate is surrounded by Kawasaki factory folk (as in, the Sonoma show mentioned by Kampfire above), ASK 'EM about the doohickey.

"Inquiring minds want to know!" :lol2
    Pollack likes this.
  20. InspectorJim

InspectorJim Long time rider

Oddometer:
    20200524_124522.jpg 00D0D_6OsK3Hy6B5gz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg Just picked up a 2006 to go with my 2009.
    slipknot, TonyKZ1, ausfahrt and 5 others like this.