KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Spigatelli

Spigatelli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got my wife the Versys 300X. It has the softest clutch I have ever felt. My wife loves it and it will handle backroads, fire roads and the occasional highway. It will definitely work better than a lowered KLR. I tried that first and the Versys 300 is just a better fit.
    Dno and kojack like this.
  2. kojack

kojack Grenfell Country Farmhouse suite!

Oddometer:
    Never even thought of the V300. We are also looking at the CRF300 rally for each of us as well now. I like those bikes too.
    Spigatelli likes this.
  3. Bobk0

Bobk0 Mentos..The Trailmaker

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great fit! I always enjoy learning bodywork of things. It is like sculpture. But, like you said for a KLR the function is greater than the visual appeal. When I got this 2016 from the dealer, it had been dropped lightly on both sides. Both sides front and rear panels were scuffed. One mounting tab was broken, etc..

Long story short, GOOD LUCK for anyone trying to ever find a "stock camo" replacement fairing, for anything less than the price of a kidney. That said, I went into a drawn-out experiment to see if I could just paint over only the scuffed areas to preserve it. The paint I used was RC car paint for plastic. It did not work out ideal, but way better than it was. Basically NOTHING sticks to HDPE plastic, except whatever Kawi uses for the camo. Even then my right rear fairing paint did not adhere to the "650" I repainted. The stock camo had chipped off there. Way more work than I planned. But hey it is a KLR and now it just has patina. Here are some of the original posts from then if interested. Mostly mid-thread:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/klr650-only-thread.742912/page-1788
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/klr650-only-thread.742912/page-1786
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/klr650-only-thread.742912/page-1792#post-38604946

And one from the only other recent body work I have done:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/toyota-tacoma-facelift.1154546/#post-29702620

It is cool watching the Pro's of body work like Chip Foose etc.. People in California. Insane what people are able to do to a body.
    Bakfarht likes this.
  4. Bakfarht

Bakfarht Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, I thought I had trouble! That camo looks like a nightmare to try to paint but you did an amazing job. I found that after light sanding with 320, the primer/filler sticks very well as a base coat and the Rustoleum sticks really well to that. I finish it with a satin clear coat to dull it down. This was the last time I did all the plastics (before this recent accident...)
    20210323_124302.jpg
    Bobk0 and AzMtnThumper like this.
  5. Onthebackwheel

Onthebackwheel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picked my new baby up yesterday, but haven't been able to get out on it due to my new bub bar riding it a few hundred meters. Looking like I'll definitely be able to ride it tomorrow, PUMPED!

For anyone interested, I'm doing a KLR650 series on my YouTube channel. Hoping to cover a heap of stuff (time permitting)

AzMtnThumper, Bakfarht and Bobk0 like this.
  6. Bobk0

Oddometer:
    @Onthebackwheel Fair dinkum, well done review mate. Nice to see a proper opinion of what the new one is. Can you film the exhaust system? What changed there? - cheers
  7. Onthebackwheel

Onthebackwheel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheers mate. Yep I'm going to do a video ASAP where I remove it and do some measurements for everyone (baby and another video committment is taking up time atm). Myself and the dealer already think its the same exhaust as the previous model. So, quiet, reliable and heavy as a boat anchor. I'm happy with the first two, not the last!
    Bobk0 likes this.
  8. Bobk0

Oddometer:
    Roger that, looking forward to seeing what mech. has changed in the new one. Was the back rack also an aluminm plate?
  9. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe there is a cat in the pipe. I rode 58mph no stops and checked passenger peg bracket it was too hot to touch. If you can get a thermo meter on stock pipe and after market it would be great. Plenty of air gap so I bet its the cat creating excessive heat in this area. A pipe change might be a requirement to control the heat.
  10. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a return spring offered to help clutch wear. But after reading all the posts I question if the cable just needs lubed well so it can return all the way.
  11. Bakfarht

Bakfarht Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Waking my dog, saw a guy on a green gen 2, smoke pouring out from the exhaust, seemed totally oblivious... probably saw me there with my mouth hanging open and just thought I was envious..
    Onthebackwheel likes this.
  12. Sideroadrod

Sideroadrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all of the help, input and laughs on this thread KLR Riders
    It's been a while since I posted here folks. Not because I haven't been reading or paying attention, but because I have been busy riding and helping my two young sons develop their own off road riding skills.
    After thoroughly enjoying my 2008 KLR for the last 5 years and 28 000km, including an eye opening weekend riding the Ottawa Valley Rally at the beginning of this summer, it is time I move on to another bike.
    I have finally excepted the fact that being in my mid 50's, picking the rig up numerous times a day for hours on end is just not as fun as it used to be. I still love the old girl, but have to admit defeat and that this old boy can't throw her around like I used to LOL .
    I have sold the trusty steed to its next owner who I hope will enjoy it as much as I did, and hopefully will tap into this thread and it's abundance of helpful info from all you great contributors.
    Her replacement is a younger thinner Red Headed Honda CRF250L. She makes me feel young again. She's lean, fit and encourages me to try moves on her that I haven't tried in a while .... he he.
    All the best Brothers ,on your Swiss Army, Two Wheeled Jeep of motorcycles.
    Take care, and see you on the trails
    sideroadrod.
  13. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    A feeler question: has anyone on here retrofitted the upper fairing from a Gen 2 to a Gen 1? If so, how did it turn out and how big a PIA was it to accomplish? My bike is the definition of a "bitsa" bike, mixing lots of Gen 2 parts in as is, and I've always liked the look and protection of the Gen 2 fairing. Might not be worth the effort at all, but I figured that I'd toss it out here and see what floats.
  14. uncletito

uncletito n00b

Oddometer:
    Howdy, just picked up a used 1st gen and after putting ~150 miles on it, I did an oil and oil filter change. After reading how synthetic is no problem for these, I went with Rotella T6 5W-40. Went for a test ride after the oil change and now the clutch will not engage at all and the bike will no longer start in gear (begins to roll forward on flat ground with clutch lever pulled in and starter button pushed in). There is no friction zone on the clutch and I can't even get the bike to move (bike stalls out immediately in 1st gear). Everything was completely normal yesterday so the only thing that changed was the oil. In your opinion, do I need a new clutch or would an oil change with dino juice do the trick?
  15. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The clutch cable and adjustment is where Id go first. As oil Ive used it all from 5w40 to 20w50. Even have used 0w when running close to 0° F or below. Do prefer dino for normal conditions.
  16. uncletito

uncletito n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dno, tried some clutch adjustments earlier, but nothing seemed to make a difference. I'll head to wally world tonight, get some dino in it, and see if anything changes
  17. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Put the bike in neutral, engine off, and rock it fore and aft with all the force you can muster. The clutch plates are stuck together and this will pop them apart. It's not uncommon. I solved this problem by switching to Motul Semi-Synthetic. Yep, it's more expensive, but really not that big a deal.
    uncletito and Dno like this.
  18. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hopefully a guru will chime on this providing a more in depth guide. I always look for simple things first.
  19. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man double like. Wifes high compredsion fatboy took me for a ride when I banged first. Burnout front wheel locked in the air. It was a dry clutch. Worse yet I was craxy enough to dry to break it free. I rocked in gear clutch pulled after that incident everytime before starting.
  20. uncletito

uncletito n00b

Oddometer:
    :muutt@Dno
    Thanks for the rocking in place tips, did this a little bit when the problem first arose with the bike in gear and the clutch pulled in. Ordered a clutch cover gasket (since the generator side gaskets were trashed when I did the do'), so once thats in, I'll see if cleaning the friction plates off will make a difference
    Bigger Al and Dno like this.