KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Bakfarht

Bakfarht Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good points thanks, ya I'm just being bitter... when I step back a bit, I realize the world situation right now is really hurting production and delivery for everyone. I guess I'm just shocked that I can't seem to find a gasket anywhere in the country.
  2. Klrian

Klrian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's not a complex gasket, go to Napa auto parts and buy gasket material and cut your own gasket.
    Bigger Al and Bakfarht like this.
  3. Bakfarht

Oddometer:
    Fair thought...I was thinking about that
    Late for the Party likes this.
  4. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    GD will probably be here soon.

Anyway, his 2014 650 blew the starter relay 20A fuse. Got stranded 120 miles from home.

We looked all over for a short in the wiring harness. No dice.

Any problem areas or common short areas to look for? Schematic anyone?
  5. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hook an an audible test light in series to load side when dealing with shorts. The short will be loud and an open quiet. Or a standard load will have buzz. Easy to replicate what blew the fuse through sound so your eyes can focus on the harness and rub points. Your ears will let ya know the rest.

This idea was taken from the dim light test used on old ac appliances. I then applied it to vehicles and traliers. Fuse holder will have power side and load side. This way you dont have a stack of blown fuses or high amps going through a compromised circuit.
    One more piece is the tester ground goes to to short/load and probe goes to batt positive. Has to do with the piezo in the tester
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  6. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Youll need 2 jumpers also. One with spade terminal for fuse holder to tester ground. And one for probe to batt positive. But you can skip all this if you have a "good" friend to hold logic tester on load side of fuse holder. I always caught the second person getting bored and looking away from tester. So I scrapped that plan.
  7. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The other good one is modified low amp breaker plugged in fuse holder and listen for the clicks. Audible test light is louder though and way less amps.
  8. Robotaz

Robotaz Adrenalin Freak

Oddometer:
    My HVAC that was 5 months old broke and I had no motor for heat or AC from February till August.

It could be worse than not being able to find a gasket. Trust me.
  9. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Power probe would be nice.

[​IMG]
    Kampfire likes this.
  10. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ahh yes with the transmitter signal. If the wires are behind metal the signal goes dead. Looks interesting. I will have to research this tool. The logic probe from harbor crap was my go to for low current and can test ground or hot at the same time. Really in the above suggestion I made its the piezo thats the most useful part. It comes in the test light with a wire clamp. Also to keep from sticking your finger if in tight places so it can be used one handed and grab and probe the wire as far as you can reach. Even in a bundle of grimy spaghetti. I'll see if I can link it. But thanx power probe hmm
  11. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Etrailer has it 40376 heavy duty tester. Last for years only have to clean contacts inside on guts when used in rain or around salt alot. But 12v piezo buzzer will work also.
  12. r/l

r/l Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at adding THIS to the tool box!

Lot's of YouTube on it. Search for LoadPro.
    Dno likes this.
  13. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya thats kinda of cool. Even cooler in the promo vid using a thumb on the fuse holder. Ya voltage drops and ohm/load reading. Still the buzzer test light won out with one person and 60ft of trailer harness. Was annoying listening to it but the moment it goes off you got the short. Also hands free so both hands can move, flex and bend harness.
  14. GaryKLR

GaryKLR Two Wheel Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    20211013_161749.jpg

Picked up my new 2021 Gen 3, which replaced 2011 Gen 2, which replaced 2001 Gen 1. Now my hope is to be around in 2031 to pick up my Gen 4. 20211013_161749.jpg
    jespo, nonamehorse, AHRMA17L and 20 others like this.
  15. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GaryKLR
    Review! Ha more insight
  16. KLX250s

KLX250s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Above pic, either that dude is a big guy or they made the new KLR a lot smaller. Bike looks small in the pic for some reason.
  17. GaryKLR

Oddometer:
    Hey, I am only 6' 5" and weigh 250, LOL
    Onthebackwheel likes this.
  18. GaryKLR

Oddometer:
    Have had 20 years of KLR bliss, combined 90 thousand miles on the first two. Rode them all over the US in all kinds of weather and roads, bought lots of tires, from lugs to street tires depending on conditions on where we were headed. Replaced chains, sprockets, batteries and brakes as needed, stripped out the gear shift lever spline shifting to much in Yellowstone but got something to work. No Doo or Bobs on either over the 20 years. Have owned six other bikes during this time from Triumph Sprint to Honda ST1300 they have all come and gone but I always had a KLR in the garage to ride whenever and wear ever I wanted to go. Wife has a VSrom 650 but I do not fit on it like the KLR. Have high hopes for the New Gen 3 only picked it up yesterday and rode it about fifty miles, rode the 2011 out and brought the new one home only thing right off is the seat is more comfortable. Planning on pounding the road today. I will be 80 years old when the Gen 4 Comes out in 2031 so it has to last until then. LOL Happy Riding!
    jespo, daveindenver, AHRMA17L and 9 others like this.
  19. Bakfarht

Oddometer:
  20. gaiaRTW

gaiaRTW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Removing OEM tank graphics. To those in the know, what is the most effective way to remove the tank graphics from a Gen1 tank....for repainting purposes?

The graphics are clear coated, and sanding would be rather time consuming. Maybe a heat gun???